Yamasa day trip and Taino art replicas

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
A couple of friends and I took a short trip today up to Yamasa, about 45 minutes northwest of Villa Mella, to see the Guillen Brothers shop where they make authentic replicas of Taino artifacts. Interesting day, and a welcome break from the chaos of Santo Domingo. Their shop and property is one of the most peaceful places I have encountered in the DR. Green, cool peace.

Two of the brothers were there today, and we were the only visitors. Jesus showed me their whole series of workshops and their processes for making anything from copies of Taino amulets up to 4' tall replicas. They were preparing a large order to be shipped to Europe. They don't sell their work in Santo Domingo or other places in the DR.

He explained that they started up in 1988/89. They were able to see the original artifacts available in both museums and in private collections, take many measurements and photos, etc so that they could make accurate replicas. Small amulets are made using handmade molds, and the larger pieces are all made by hand, then put in one of their two big ovens to dry, and then finished. They offer different sizes of most of their work.

Jesus has also spent the past 20 years searching for real Taino artifacts and proudly displayed pieces he has found all over the DR.

Here are some of my photos, both of the original artifacts and some of the pieces they make for sale. Tainos seemed to smoke, and used both pipes and inhalers which have two tubes coming up for use to inhale through one's nose.

iw7vd5.jpg

Taino artifacts -mortar and pestles used to crush dyes used as a type of tattoo:
t8w087.jpg

Taino bird figure artifact:
2isxjlh.jpg

Taino amulet:
qslg8o.jpg

Another Taino amulet:
2eofxc9.jpg

Taino face figurine:
24oo8kl.jpg

Taino inhaler:
123v1c6.jpg

Another Taino amulet:
hx57cw.jpg

Wood piece:
a1rdvr.jpg

I will make a second post showing the replicas which the Guillen brothers make and sell.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Ozzie Guillen's brothers.....nah.....probably NOT........

A couple of friends and I took a short trip today up to Yamasa, about 45 minutes northwest of Villa Mella, to see the Guillen Brothers shop where they make authentic replicas of Taino artifacts. Interesting day, and a welcome break from the chaos of Santo Domingo. Their shop and property is one of the most peaceful places I have encountered in the DR. Green, cool peace.

Two of the brothers were there today, and we were the only visitors. Jesus showed me their whole series of workshops and their processes for making anything from copies of Taino amulets up to 4' tall replicas. They were preparing a large order to be shipped to Europe. They don't sell their work in Santo Domingo or other places in the DR.

He explained that they started up in 1988/89. They were able to see the original artifacts available in both museums and in private collections, take many measurements and photos, etc so that they could make accurate replicas. Small amulets are made using handmade molds, and the larger pieces are all made by hand, then put in one of their two big ovens to dry, and then finished. They offer different sizes of most of their work.

Jesus has also spent the past 20 years searching for real Taino artifacts and proudly displayed pieces he has found all over the DR.

Here are some of my photos, both of the original artifacts and some of the pieces they make for sale. Tainos seemed to smoke, and used both pipes and inhalers which have two tubes coming up for use to inhale through one's nose.

iw7vd5.jpg

Taino artifacts -mortar and pestles used to crush dyes used as a type of tattoo:
t8w087.jpg

Taino bird figure artifact:
2isxjlh.jpg

Taino amulet:
qslg8o.jpg

Another Taino amulet:
2eofxc9.jpg

Taino face figurine:
24oo8kl.jpg

Taino inhaler:
123v1c6.jpg

Another Taino amulet:
hx57cw.jpg

Wood piece:
a1rdvr.jpg

I will make a second post showing the replicas which the Guillen brothers make and sell.

Those were some great shots, very interesting........:glasses:

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Here are photos of the replicas which the Guillen Brothers in Yamasa make and sell all over the world. Yamasa is located about 20 miles or 45 minutes northwest of Villa Mella, which is north of Santo Domingo.

Where most touristy places seem to charge high prices for things like these, the Guillen Brothers are definitely an exception and a great value for art for your home or unique gifts. I paid 100 pesos for the smallest pieces, 200 pesos for figures which are 6" to 8" tall, and I bought one piece that was about 18" tall and weighs about 30 pounds for 1200 pesos. The Guillens do not sell these replicas in Santo Domingo, only at their shop. They also have a nice website: http://www.artesaniaguillen.com/index.htm

We spent about an hour and a half at their shops, had a great tour and great stories from Jesus, and was maybe the best day trip I have taken. Makes you forget all about the waiting traffic going back into Santo Domingo.

My dominican friends had no idea this existed, and enjoyed the trip as much as I did.

Replicas for sale:
2hz5014.jpg

Replicas for sale:
2qn45tw.jpg

Sun and moon replicas closeup:
28mrt3.jpg

Jesus Antonio Guillen and work in progress, before firing:
rk7qtk.jpg

Large replica (about 4' or 5' tall)
107m3ra.jpg

Large replica - I think AZB would love this one !
2i1fbwo.jpg

Last edited: