IFCA - What happened??

principe

Nov 19, 2002
The IFCA website is making the claim below, but has anyone seen construction activity in the area or is this just hot air?? WTF?

"The Independent Financial Centre of the Americas is pleased to announce strong progress in the development of the first building of the Centre: the LAIFEX Building.

Bernard Tschumi Architects and ARUP Engineering have been appointed to complete the Design Development Phase, including final design of the core and shell, layout of workspaces and interior design, guided by a clear brief of sustainability and environmental protection.

Local architects and engineers have been engaged to complete construction documents in close collaboration with Tschumi and ARUP ensuring continuity and overall integrity of the design.

This important phase of development happens at a time when the world economy shows strong signs of recovery, led by regions such as Latin America, leading to the acceleration of negotiations with future tenants and joint venture partners.

This exciting phase of our development will start in July 2010 and be completed by June 2011, with construction aimed at being completed by 2013."

principe

Nov 19, 2002
- -

LoL. You have a good sense of humor.

But i dont think they did, lets give them the benefit of doubt. Seriously, however I have heard through the grapevine that this project is dead in the water.

I just find it curious that the spin remains so positive. In terms of progress I have not hear much except for them being on Facebook now.

Its a shame since this project is of very high value and impact for the country.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Although I have not actually seen any building, the Vicinis continue to take over houses in the area designated for the IFCA. Also the new mayor for the area is a Hazim who are in partnership together with the Vicinis for this project so you may see increased impetus.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Although I have not actually seen any building, the Vicinis continue to take over houses in the area designated for the IFCA. Also the new mayor for the area is a Hazim who are in partnership together with the Vicinis for this project so you may see increased impetus.

Matilda

Matilda, how many houses are in this 'designated area', who lives in them, who is setting the purchase price? When you say 'take over', it doesn't sound very democratic....??? Is this like eminent-domain take over in the US?

AE

principe

Nov 19, 2002
- -

Matilda, how many houses do you say the Vicinis have occupied? I understand that the land belongs to them (since at least the Trujillo era) and they are relocating the squatters.

I just want to get a sense of the expanse of the lands that are now occupied.

Well, I guess things are moving, albeit slowly.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Guayacanes is divided into two by the motorway. This article

Pulso Electoral Dominicano

explains a little more. They are talking on the one hand about 90 dwellings, but the general feel is that the whole town on the far side of the motorway will be demolished to make way for hotels etc. There are lots of disputes as to who has title - those living in the houses say they have titles and given that they are been paid ( a little) or rehoused in concrete rabbit hutches makes me think they are probably telling the truth.

matilda

principe

Nov 19, 2002
- -

Damn the filtering at my job!!!

Guess i'll look at the site when i get home tonight....