Statistics, numbers, failures rates, success, any ideas?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I got chatting to a Dominican guy the other night who had been deported last year, but was finding adjusting to Dominican lifestyle very difficult, power, no hot water, no cold drinks etc. all seemed to be getting to him a bit.
Anyway, I was telling him he was more likely to end up fish food than make it across but I am going off absolutley no solid figures or infact much information on how successful these people are in getting into the States, you only read about the disasters. He mentioned a number, being in the region of 75% of attemps get in, that to me seems a very high number. Reverse it and I might be persueded at a 25% chance.
Anyone know anything on this kind of thing?

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Well, you could try the story I used to tell one of my brother-in-laws who was always hitting me up for yola money.

1/3 don't get all the way to PR or drown, 1/3 get arrested and sent back, and 1/3 make it to Puerto Rico. For the ones (maybe half of those who get to PR) who then make it to America (read Nuevo Yol - no one really considers PR to be America unless they're showing off their US passport to a dominican campesino), sure they can get work. And probably for $9 an hour.

And then share a two room apartment with 3 other guys just like them, pay their share of rent, pay for luz, water and heat or you don't get any, pay for transporte to work every day, pay taxes from dollar one, etc, send a little home, and at the end of the month they have the same thing - empty pockets!

I then told him the only difference is that they aren't watching their kids grow up, their woman is sleeping with someone else back in the DR, and they get to enjoy the American winters with snow and temps down to -20?C. Paradise!

He had tried yolas 3 times and failed each time, at about US$500 per attempt. He asked me 3 different times for a loan to try again, and I just repeated my story. He never tried again, and then 8 years later, finally thanked me for not giving him the money to try again.

For the guy you met, it sounds like his life in the DR is worse than Riker's. Good for him. If he does go the yola route and they catch him back in the states again after being deported, he is going to end up as someone's punk for many years in a prison there.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
This guy just want to go and get back into the prison system for an easy life. He seems a bit of a bad ass to me, involved heavily in drugs and been in the states fro many years, so his life is more there than here. He tells me he wants to go back and just get involved in his old lifestyle, drugs and cars and if he has to do time then he is cool with that. I asked why he didn't just do what he does here and he told me because the time is too hard, if he does time he wants comfort. Kind of sad but makes you think!

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Risk management

I got chatting to a Dominican guy the other night who had been deported last year, but was finding adjusting to Dominican lifestyle very difficult, power, no hot water, no cold drinks etc. all seemed to be getting to him a bit.
Anyway, I was telling him he was more likely to end up fish food than make it across but I am going off absolutley no solid figures or infact much information on how successful these people are in getting into the States, you only read about the disasters. He mentioned a number, being in the region of 75% of attemps get in, that to me seems a very high number. Reverse it and I might be persueded at a 25% chance.
Anyone know anything on this kind of thing?

http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/39435-after-landing.html

Pretty interesting post from 2005.......more detail oriented.......;)

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the link, Riceandbeans. I read it all and was fascinated.

Couldn't help but also wonder where all those posters have gone....Talldrink, Marianoplolita, Rellosk, Miguel, Ricardo900.....

Where are they all now? Chirimoya must know....

Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gee, I feel so sorry for that trash! Do you think?

I really hope he manages to get a yola and gets all caught up again...or maybe he gets to Mexico and tries to walk across...yeah, and some ambitious border patrol agent watches him go intothe Sonoran desert with no water...yeah....

Sorry, the guy does not get my vote.

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Gee, I feel so sorry for that trash! Do you think?

I really hope he manages to get a yola and gets all caught up again...or maybe he gets to Mexico and tries to walk across...yeah, and some ambitious border patrol agent watches him go intothe Sonoran desert with no water...yeah....

Sorry, the guy does not get my vote.

HB

Got to go with HB's idea sonoran with no water sounds right up the guys alley.. Then they wonder why its so hard to get a visa???

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

Couldn't help but also wonder where all those posters have gone....Talldrink, Marianoplolita, Rellosk, Miguel, Ricardo900.....

Lindsey

All except Miguel, who is on long-term vacation, are still regular posters.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Lindsey

You left out a few others ... Howmar & Ricktoronto were colourful posters!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there is a fine line between colourfullness and madness.....ive crossed it a few times lol

I wonder if there is a chart somewhere for who has the most deleted posts and names

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Im wondering why you are even bothering to talk to these people

I can understand that, my escapism is spending a few hours down the local Colmado once or twice a week, talking to whoever is about. I meet alsorts and find it interesting to meet people like this guy, it's an education of sorts I don't actually consider them friends, but we can't pick and choose who we share a Colmado with and I'm a chatty guy and will share a conversation with anyone more or less. I don't have the luxury of living in an expat neighbourhood or area with high concentration of expats or even a well off Dominican neighbourhood so the people I come across are the poorer and rougher end of society, but they are friendly enough with me and get nothing out of me, accept me and so I have no reason to change my routine.

Thanks R&B, that link was interesting on some of the experiences these people will have.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
DHS: Testimony of Rear Admiral Wayne E. Justice, Assistant Commandant for Capabilities, Before the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation, "Overview of Coast Guard Drug and Migran

people illegally trying to enter the country from the Dominican Republic represented the largest nationality group coming to the U.S. between 2004 and 2006, averaging over 8,600 migrants per year entering Puerto Rico across the Mona Passage (the 60 mile expanse of water that separates the east coast of the Dominican Republic from the west coast of Puerto Rico), but dropped precipitously since then to only 1,485 migrants last year.

Through constant presence, the Coast Guard has been able to interdict around 50 percent of those attempting to use the Mona Passage route. The numbers of illegal migrants attempting to enter the U.S. from Haiti, on the other hand, is subject to large individual spikes and valleys, yet over the long term tends to be fairly steady. From 2005 through 2008, the number of illegal Haitian migrants averaged nearly 3,900 per year with little variance in total numbers each year. Yet in just the first four months of FY 2009, 3,119 Haitian migrants have attempted to enter the U.S. illegally via maritime means, with more than 1,800 departing in January. The Coast Guard Intelligence Enterprise believes this spike may be due to the combination of devastating hurricane damage last summer combined with unsubstantiated rumors in Haiti that the new U.S. Administration may be more lenient in their handling of illegal migration. While the average Coast Guard interdiction rates for Haitians is only 45 percent, nearly all illegal Haitian migrants are stopped before reaching the U.S., often by Bahamian law enforcement personnel, assisted by the Coast Guard, through our Comprehensive Maritime Agreement with the Bahamas, which provides the means for direct maritime law enforcement cooperation between our two nations. The Coast Guard maintains a persistent presence of deepwater cutters and aircraft in the Florida Straits, Windward Passage and Mona Passage to deter illegal immigration and conduct interdiction operations. Frequent pulse operations with these assets provide critical capacity to respond during periods of heightened migrant flow.

Successful illegal migration penalizes those who follow the established legal processes to migrate to the United States, prevents proper safeguards, and can potentially cost U.S. taxpayers billions of dollars each year. Accordingly, our charge per Executive Order 12807 is to interdict undocumented aliens as far from U.S. shores as possible and return them to their countries of nationality or origin. Swift repatriation deters many intending migrants, and minimizes costly disposition processes arising from illegal entry into the United States. Protection from persecution or torture is also an important concern. During the course of migrant interdictions, Coast Guard crews may encounter migrants seeking protection from persecution or torture. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of State (Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration) are the agencies responsible for processing potential protection cases arising from interdictions at sea in compliance with relevant Executive Orders.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
in the movies when a boat sinks at night the survivors all clinging to life vests and an overturned skiff, yelling out to each other and all illuminated by, the moon? in reality, at night, it is complete blackness, you can not hear anything due to wave action, can't tell up from down, can't see your hand in front of you, a most horrific way to die, all alone in the blackness. a little faster than dying in the desert but at least you have time to write a note or maybe the border patrol will find you.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
in reality, at night, it is complete blackness, you can not hear anything due to wave action, can't tell up from down, can't see your hand in front of you, a most horrific way to die, all alone in the blackness. QUOTE]

Do you get waves(as in crashing waves, genuinely interested) out at sea?
Sorry to be pedantic:cheeky: