Mike...I can bring a bag of lemons to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
Hi Mike,

My husband and I will arrive Christmas Day. I can get a bag of lemons at the store before we leave so they will be fresh.

Where shall we find you. We are staying right on the beach in Cabarete.

Reactions: mike l

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Huh? I hope these are very special lemons, because we have tons of lemons, limes, and sweet lemons in The DR. Much cheaper than in The US and Canada (not sure where you're going from).

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
I thought so but on another post he asked for lemons to go with his vodka. Maybe i didn't understand and it was some kind of code. Leave it to me no to get the joke.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I thought so but on another post he asked for lemons to go with his vodka. Maybe i didn't understand and it was some kind of code. Leave it to me no to get the joke.

I think he needs yellow lemons pronto for his Veal Picatta?

Jan 17, 2009
Huh? I hope these are very special lemons, because we have tons of lemons, limes, and sweet lemons in The DR. Much cheaper than in The US and Canada (not sure where you're going from).

Where do you find yellow lemons? Never saw them here. In fact, I can't even tell which ones are lemons and which one are limes here.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I've never seen a yellow lemon for sale in DR.

I've had some green lemons and let them sit around for a while to see if they would change color. They sure did........ Brown. :ermm:

Reactions: Tamborista

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hmmm...not sure nowadays. I would have expected that you could find them in the supermarket (La Sirena for instance), on the side of the road, local colmado, tell some kid to get you some and you'll buy from them, etc...I haven't looked for lemons in The DR as I have my own tree in my house (Lime). I know when I was growing up these were very common, but maybe over the last few years they have disappeared.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hmmm...not sure nowadays. I would have expected that you could find them in the supermarket (La Sirena for instance), on the side of the road, local colmado, tell some kid to get you some and you'll buy from them, etc...

Nope. Ask for a limon and you'll get a lime every time.

Personally, I like them better. Thinner skin, more juice, I even buy limes in NJ, and LimeAde is delicious.

AE

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi Mike,

My husband and I will arrive Christmas Day. I can get a bag of lemons at the store before we leave so they will be fresh.

Where shall we find you. We are staying right on the beach in Cabarete.

Hi Scooter,

I live just 10 minutes from Cabarete in Sosua,

I will send you a PM with my phone number but we could meet at Jose Oshay's which is an american/irish sports bar right on the beach and I will buy the drinks and pay well for the lemons

thanks mike

Caz

May 15, 2004
mike l - if you really need lemons that badly - you don't need to import them. We are about to harvest proper lemons from our imported bushes and can let you have a dozen next week. pm sent!

Reactions: mike l and drloca

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
Hi Mike, I know where it is. Staying at the condos next door this year. Usually stay at the Taina.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
mike l - if you really need lemons that badly - you don't need to import them. We are about to harvest proper lemons from our imported bushes and can let you have a dozen next week. pm sent!

look at this ---- 188 posts in over 6 years and you get 12 lemons !!

Like winning the lottery :chinese:

WW

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
How to tell the difference between a lemon and a lime:

•When put into a glass or bowl of water, a lime will sink to the bottom, and a lemon will float on the top. Could the difference in density be due to a difference in sugar content or a difference in lipid (oil) content? Lipids are less dense than water. Lemons are known for their lemon oil. Cut a lemon and feel the oil on the surface. Even a small, dense, green, immature lemon floats in water. This is even true when both are peeled.

Limons sink

Reactions: woofsback

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are you allowed to bring in plants or plant products into the DR? I know Canada is very strict and you have to declare things like that.

All food, plants, animals, and related products must be declared. Food can carry disease, such as E. coli. Plants and plant products can carry invasive alien species, such as the Asian Long-Horned Beetle. Animals and animal products can carry diseases, such as avian influenza and foot-and-mouth disease. Furthermore, certain species of plants and animals are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (<ACRONYM>CITES</ACRONYM>) and their trade is carefully controlled.

Because of these risks, the Government of Canada regulates the import of certain food, plants, animals and related products to and from Canada.

bsf5056: I Declare

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are you allowed to bring in plants or plant products into the DR? I know Canada is very strict and you have to declare things like that.

Probably not, but I haven't had my suitcases checked in about 20 years.

And I remember one of my friends coming to DR for Thanksgiving bringing a 25 pound frozen turkey in her carry-on. [this was in the days when you couldn't find them easily in supermarkets]. She came through customs with it over her shoulder :paranoid:

AE

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
When we get closer to the date, I will find out what day and time you will be there. I will keep them cool for you. Ahhh yes, nothing like ice cold vodka with lemon. Yummy!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
When we get closer to the date, I will find out what day and time you will be there. I will keep them cool for you. Ahhh yes, nothing like ice cold vodka with lemon. Yummy!

Agreed and thanks, and if you need anything let me know.

Jose's has some great drinks served in either a hallowed out Pineapple or Coconut so at Xmas it's cocktails for everyone!!!

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
confusion

Well I have to say the confusion in DR about lemons & limes confuses me. Where I come from (Canada) a lemon is yellow and a lime is green...and yes they are different fruit and taste very different. While in DR I asked everyone about lemons and they all directed me to the limes. Many people, even Americans we spoke to, didn't seem to know there was a difference. After many inquires I was informed that lemons are not to found (in the stores anyway) and I'd better just get used to using limes. Mike, enjoy your lemons!!! I know I'll miss them when I move there next year.....along with decent milk!

Reactions: waytogo
Status
Not open for further replies.