Driving from Las Terranas to Bavaro

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
We will be driving our car from Las Terranas to Bavaro/Punta Cana. What is the best way to get there? Do we have to take the main road that goes past Santo Domingo? It looks like there is a more direct route (goes thru Higuey) but the map shows a road with a lot of dots...not sure if that means not an actual road.

Has anyone driven this way recently, are the roads decent, and what would be the best/fastest way?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I have driven the NEW CARRETERA that connects the north and south in about 1.5 hours, a quick drive. If coming from north just head from Las Terrenas towards Nagua. The entrance to the new highway begins there. Take it south to the very end, you will pay about 3 tolls [peajes] totalling a little over $300RD [but its worth it since you will be saving considerable gasoline]. The carretera nueva ends at highway Las Americas, take that east towards the airport and just stay on this road all the way to Bavaro. You will pass: Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, San Pedro De Macoris, La Romana, Higuey and finally make it to Bavaro.
My estimated driving time....hmmm: I'd say 4 hours give or take with traffic and or if you stop to eat or need a break.
GOOD LUCK! :)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Count 3 1/2 hours from Las Terrenas to La Romana with the route suggested in previous post. La Romana to Bavaro I have no idea as have never driven it...

Enjoy the drive,
CG

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Count 3 1/2 hours from Las Terrenas to La Romana with the route suggested in previous post. La Romana to Bavaro I have no idea as have never driven it...

Enjoy the drive,
CG

LRM-Bavaro 1.5-2hrs mas o menos

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I think everyone here is right, not sure if the OP is an aggressive driver or not....plus we are not factoring in traffic, tapones, accidents, rest stops....etc.
I have made the drive the entire length of the NUEVA CARRETERA in 1 hour exactly, thats just the new highway, and that was driving pretty fast. Granted there are some stretches in this new highway that are straightaways and one can drive aggressively if he/she chooses to so do.
Once on las Americas you cant really drive like a maniac for very long except maybe from SPDM to La Romana, but one would have to slow down tremendously when driving through towns....a cousin of mine made it from Higuey to Bavaro in 45 minutes once but it was like being on a roller coaster! yikes....
ok I will stretch estimated time driving to: 5 hours

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One hour is about right on the new highway.....I think its 100km long+/-

The northern part is difficult to make time on b/c of the twisty turns and hill but after that its clear sailing.

WW

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
agreeing with WW, the northern part [though it is beautiful landscape and scenery to admire] is full of many winding and twisting roads, be careful not to speed too much and be on the lookout for other drivers! after that the majority of the new highway is straightaway.
The time lost on this trip will be the narrow roads i.e. Las Terrenas to the new highway, and La Romana to Bavaro, there are too many narrow roads and or driving through towns that you have to slow down....
plus any rest stops you may make along the way.
did i mention traffic? tapones? grrrrrr

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Although its been a while since I made this trip, traffic/congestion can get quite chaotic in La Otra Banda.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i remember making this drive to Bavaro [though not from Las Terrenas] and hit a MAJOR tapon before crossing that bridge getting into SPDM....that REALLY ****ed me off! If i recall correctly I was stuck there nearly an hour just to cross over!
next big traffic jam was entering the town of Higuey....what can you do? narrow roads, people crossing streets, the usual DR pandemonium! LOL

I have driven the NEW CARRETERA that connects the north and south in about 1.5 hours, a quick drive. If coming from north just head from Las Terrenas towards Nagua. The entrance to the new highway begins there. Take it south to the very end, you will pay about 3 tolls [peajes] totalling a little over $300RD [but its worth it since you will be saving considerable gasoline]. The carretera nueva ends at highway Las Americas, take that east towards the airport and just stay on this road all the way to Bavaro. You will pass: Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, San Pedro De Macoris, La Romana, Higuey and finally make it to Bavaro.
My estimated driving time....hmmm: I'd say 4 hours give or take with traffic and or if you stop to eat or need a break.
GOOD LUCK! :)

Jalen is pretty much on the money ecept it will take the avg driver over 4 and a half hours because the first part of the trip leaving Las Terrenas is full of construction so that will slow you down. The new hwy should be done in an hour to an hour and twenty mins depending on how you drive. Once on the south coast it is a clear shot out to Bavaro except that you have to go local thru Romana and Higuey. What resort in Bavaro are you staying at? If you are staying on the north side of Bavaro you can save another 20 mins or so off the trip if when you pass Higuey you will come to a right turn at a traffic light with the sign to Punta Cana saying make a right turn. DO NOT make the right but continue on straight and bear right wherever the road splits and you will come to Bavaro in about 15-20 mins on the north side,saving considerable time from the other road.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
badpiece is right....that local drive from la Romana and Higuey is where a lot of time is spent/lost in traffic especially with tapones. Newcomers need to have their eyes open so as to not get lost when making this trip. The shortcut badpiece speaks of here while driving through Higuey is on the money, my cousin did the same and did NOT take the right turn and saved some time going that route. However, i do remember the traffic while driving through Higuey...what a pain in the #&#%^#

jvv123

Nov 8, 2010
Hi. New to this site. Coming to DR in December for 12 days. Can this drive be driven in a non-SUV car ok?