Forwarding US Cell to DR Cell for cheap

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK all...I know we've discussed different US/DR phone forwarding setups in the past. I'm just piking everyone brain to see if there's a cheap solution to what I desire to have setup when I travel to The DR for communication. Is it possible to somehow forward calls from my US company cell phone to a Dominican cell phone without paying roaming and other expensive rates?

I have google voice and a Magic Jack so I know I can forward my US phone to receive calls in The DR and call back from there as long as I have local internet access which means I either have to get some kind of internet plan for the duration I'm there and have my computer on all the time and be close to it so I can respond quickly.

I would like some freedom to be able to move about, but still be able to take an incoming call or call anyone I want in The US.

Let's say I'm in Playa Rincon soaking up the sun and having some freshly cooked fish and my boss calls me to discuss some urgent stuff that can't wait until I get back home...how can I do that without paying through the nose? Last time I went to The DR my phone apparently kept connecting to check e-mail so the result was that I had a huge bill due to roaming charges.

Let's discuss this and see if we can solve this issue...Is AZB still banned? I know he loves playing around with this stuff.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Calling from a Codetel cell phone to the States is not too bad a price.
Trying to do it using your U.S. cell phone provider will be very expensive.

Forwarding your current U.S. phone number to a cell phone in the D.R. will probably be expensive if it is a normal U.S. carrier (Sprint, Verizon, etc).

If you happen to have Vonage World plan, calls to a D.R. cell phone is now just 8 cents a minute I believe. So forwarding that would not be too expensive. (Calls to D.R. landlines are free).

Forwarding/Receiving calls to your U.S. cell phone and using it here does not seem the way to go.

Get a D.R. cell phone while here is my suggestion, they are ultra cheap, and you will be mobile.

Without an International plan on your U.S. number and forwarding it to the D.R. is not a good idea. Calls to cell phones here can be expensive that way.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I have a DR cell phone so I'm mobile, but again the issue is when I get that call to my US cell I won't get it or at least won't be able to answer it unless I'm in front of my computer and on the internet.

Has anybody forwarded their google voice number to a Dominican number (That's only 6 cents a minute BTW)?

Any other ideas?