Raising the rent, under any circumstances?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Would a landlord/agent beable to raise the rent on an apartment/house after the signing of a one year contract before that term is up?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nope. Unless you signed a lease that allowed for that.
What does your lease say?

I suggest you read the threads here on the subject and what you can do. The law is heavily stacked in favor of the tenant.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think they can do that. There are some stipulations that allow 10% increase after a year, but also you can keep on paying old amount o Banco Agricola and be on the safe side .... however, that doe snot protect you against the Dominican "tigueraje" to get you out or cede to pay up more ...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is more to help me keep my eyes open on the signing of our new contract. I went through hell with my last landlord in terms of him breaking contract and it not being worth my while chasing him for money, in the end it did cost me considerably.
I've vowed I will be on the ball in future and seems the best way to do that is understand the legal system under which I'm living, that's not easy here.
So not a problem, I just want to know exactly where we all stand on the signing of our new place, all nearly finished so won't be long, thank god.