Windsurfing Encuentro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrvolcan

May 11, 2010
Hi

I'll be coming to the DR in October and I wonder whether I should bring my own Windsurfing equipment or rent some.
Is it possible to Windsurf at Encuentro? I don't have a car so bringing my own equipment would only make sense if I could surf there.
How many days of good Windsurfing conditions would I have there in the months from November to January?

Thanks a lot

Aloha Moritz

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I don't know about that beach for windsurfing as I think most people use that beach for regular surfing. I can say that just down the road on Kite Beach, the winds are strong enough on about 8 out of 10 days to do kiteboarding...probably 9 out of 10 days are good for windsurfing then... On the main beaches in Cabarete you can windsurf.

November is supposed to be a rainy month and have about the least amount of wind, but every year is different and some years, I am told, are great for the whole month. I think I had heard that last year November was mostly dry and had decent winds...

I would think that if you plan on doing a lot of windsurfing taking your equipment would be much cheaper than renting.

Hope you have a wonderful time and please let us/me know how you enjoyed encuentro beach and etc.

All the best,

Jim

windfinder

May 28, 2007
You can rent gear in Cabarete and do a downwinder to Encuentro , arrange a transport back via Taxi , or talk to one of the surf schools which offer Shuttle service , they might bring you gear back , for a small fee !!!
Before I started to Kite I used to rent from Vela , they always have top notch gear !!

Vela Cabarete - Windsurf Center

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
Wind surfing

Don't bring your gear. I just left that same area, stayed a month (all of August) the first house right up from the the road to the beach. Easy walk, but I never say a single windsurfer or surfer for that matter, a couple of kiters. Most of that type of "FUN" is at Cabarette Beach, 8 minutes or 3.5 miles away buy car, or bus.

Hey, every time I put my board shorts on the line to dry... i'd come home and they had been stolen. I found out during my stay that that area has a very heavy crime rate, from local realtors and business people and and anyone else that I talked to on the beach. Anyway, bring a few pairs and have a blast, they have awsome gear there.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Cabarete for windsurfing

Cabarete bay is the best spot for windsurfing. Wind is generally cross shore (from the right). Bay is wide with flatter/slalom water to the far right side, bump and jump to the middle and left side. The reef is just under 1km from beach - wave sailing to the left side, large swells to the right. Reef is deep and dead so no nasty cuts if you wipe out. Only a couple of places at certain tides where you can touch bottom with mast or foot.
It's a really safe place to sail. Break any equipment and you'll get washed onto Bozo beach inside the bay (unless its huge surf, but then you wouldn't be out in that).

October wind is different every year - ask the guys at the windsurf schools.

Vela is a great place to rent from.
Vela Cabarete - Windsurf Center
There's also
Cabarete Windsports Club in Cabarete, Dominican Republic (Happy)
windsurfing at fanatic cabarete !
Club Mistral Windsurf Cabarete
Club Nathalie Simon - Windsurf Cabarete | Kitesurfing
Check them all for gear and prices. Most of the schools will store your gear for a small fee. If you rent you won't have to pack a bunch of different sail sizes.
Have fun!

Last edited:

Mrvolcan

May 11, 2010
Thanks

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

But I still don't know if it is generally not possible to windsurf there.
surely Cabarete Bay is the better place to Windsurf.
Is there no Wind at encuentro, are the waves/reef not good for windsurfing or is it just reserved for normal surfers?
It would be easier/cheaper for me to directly windsurf there and not to store my equipment somewhere else or rent it.

Thanks Moritz

windfinder

May 28, 2007
Mr. Volcano

Sure you can windsurf there in the afternoons , just be aware the reef is very shallow and you will hit the reef with your fin , especially during lower tide . In case the wind drops a bit the current will take you to the left or even to destroyer !! Make sure you bring a couple of spare Masts and Fins . Repair kit for you board as well !!!

Have Fun

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
I certainly would stay away from that area for windsurfing. You will get cut up. When we go surfing there if it is too big, I don't even go in. Stay safe, stay with the rest of the gang. However if your looking to get on a long or short board and surf is up, have fun.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

But I still don't know if it is generally not possible to windsurf there.
surely Cabarete Bay is the better place to Windsurf.
Is there no Wind at encuentro, are the waves/reef not good for windsurfing or is it just reserved for normal surfers?
It would be easier/cheaper for me to directly windsurf there and not to store my equipment somewhere else or rent it.

Thanks Moritz

Both Windfinder and Scooter are correct, even though they are giving different advice.

If there is a swell running, Bozo reef (Cabarete's main bay) will have a good wave for windsurfing and a dedicated area for windsurfers; therefore the rental places (mentioned earlier in the thread) are right at the spot and there's no need for transportation to or from Encuentro.

If however, there's not much of a swell running (i.e. less than 1.1/1.2m for example - check here; WindGURU: Dominican Republic - Cabarete for forecasts) Encuentro will always pick up more. But Scooter's words of warning re the reef should be heeded and you are much more likely to hit reef at Encuentro than at Bozo, where the reef is rarely less than 1m below the surface.

Master of the Ocean (yearly competition Kite/Surf/windsurf) holds their finals at Encuentro and given the right wind, the windsurfing there is spectacular to watch because of the proximity to the beach. On a regular day, you won't see many or any windsurfers at Encuentro.

windfinder

May 28, 2007
Both Windfinder and Scooter are correct, even though they are giving different advice.

If there is a swell running, Bozo reef (Cabarete's main bay) will have a good wave for windsurfing and a dedicated area for windsurfers; therefore the rental places (mentioned earlier in the thread) are right at the spot and there's no need for transportation to or from Encuentro.

If however, there's not much of a swell running (i.e. less than 1.1/1.2m for example - check here; WindGURU: Dominican Republic - Cabarete for forecasts) Encuentro will always pick up more. But Scooter's words of warning re the reef should be heeded and you are much more likely to hit reef at Encuentro than at Bozo, where the reef is rarely less than 1m below the surface.

Master of the Ocean (yearly competition Kite/Surf/windsurf) holds their finals at Encuentro and given the right wind, the windsurfing there is spectacular to watch because of the proximity to the beach. On a regular day, you won't see many or any windsurfers at Encuentro.

SWCamp ,

Since when is there a Bozo reef in Cabarete ?

windfinder

May 28, 2007
SWcampers

This might mislead people which are planning their Kite/Wind-Surf vacation !
Would make more sense to call it " lower section " of Cabarete's main Reef !!!!

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
SWcampers

This might mislead people which are planning their Kite/Wind-Surf vacation !
Would make more sense to call it " lower section " of Cabarete's main Reef !!!!

yes I guess you are right, since I mentioned in my first post in the thread ''Bozo reef (Cabarete's main bay)'' people with an IQ of less that 55 might be confused.

Maybe better rename the main bay of Cabarete to ''Cabarete Bay'' permanently instead of Bozo Beach, just in case people end up in the wrong town.

Status
Not open for further replies.