Expiration dates

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Purchased some packaged polish sausages at La Sirena and immediately put them in the freezer. My housekeeper just showed me that they are now 2 months past the expiration date. I purchased before the ex date and they have been frozen since the purchase.
Question: Are they still good?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My general rule of thumb is when I defrost it or take it out of the fridge does it smell bad?

At any rate when food engineers decide on these dates there's always a safety factor added and no doubt they assume that the product will be kept in the fridge as opposed to the freezer. You should be ok but if you don't want to risk it I'll understand - just make sure to give me a call so that I can properly "dispose" of them for you. :)

Reactions: waytogo

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Frozen should be no problem. But to make sure, do the smell test before cooking/eating.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Be careful with stores putting on another label covering the expiration date

Another trick is to remove the expiration date with nail polish remover.

Buyer beware is a good policy.

I always take expiration dates with a grain of salt. I know in the vitamin business, with a few exceptions like SamE, they're good wayyyyyy past the dates.

AE

Reactions: waytogo

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
One of the first things I learned here was to check all the expiration dates. Once in a great while I will forget and sure as sh**, they got me. Surprisingly, I have to look extra close at PriceSmart. They're large bottles of 6 pk. coca cola always have expired dates, plus many of their items are due to expire within 2-3 weeks.
But, this is a practice at ALL the food stores.
I'm buying more fresh veges and fruit, always a winner.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The good thing about beer is it rarely lasts long enough to get to the expiration date and with rum the taste only gets better. Life is good. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Purchased some packaged polish sausages at La Sirena and immediately put them in the freezer. My housekeeper just showed me that they are now 2 months past the expiration date. I purchased before the ex date and they have been frozen since the purchase.
Question: Are they still good?

i think i may personally vistit your house and strangle you if you dare to throw away a good polish sausage! polish sausages never go off, it's the world that cannot keep up with polish sausages!
do not worry, every time i go home i bring a suitcase full of polish food, i freeze it and then consume it over time, expiration dates are only a fiction to keep fools buying and buying :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cats and Dogs

polish sausages__ 2 months past the expiration date _Are they still good?

Let a (non-Polish) cat try them.
If the cat shuns away (like going backwards) give them to the dogs. :bunny:

donP

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
i think i may personally visit your house and strangle you if you dare to throw away a good polish sausage! polish sausages never go off, it's the world that cannot keep up with polish sausages!

Ok, Ok, I promise to eat them even if there are maggots coming out of them.....
My x used to like strangling me when I would sleep, I never knew if that was a fetish of hers or she was really trying to kill me.
Hmmmm...maybe she saw me throwing out polish sausages...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was at Jumbo in Santiago the other day with WayToGo and we noticed that the 20oz bottles of Coca-Cola no longer have expiration dates on the caps.

I have to check out some of the local comodos, as I always remember seeing expiration date on the bottle caps.

Did Coca-Cola remove the dates or did Jumbo remove the dates?

SantiagoDR
350mo09.gif

You are getting sleepy, very sleepy!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
They may not have expired.Depending on whether or not the date was expressed the european manner day/month/yr or north american month /day /yr.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another thing to consider - I've noticed a lot of manufacturers now show the production date on their products, and not the expiration date. Sometimes if you glance quickly you might think something is expired, when it's not.

AE

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I was at Jumbo in Santiago the other day with WayToGo and we noticed that the 20oz bottles of Coca-Cola no longer have expiration dates on the caps.

I have to check out some of the local comodos, as I always remember seeing expiration date on the bottle caps.

Did Coca-Cola remove the dates or did Jumbo remove the dates?

SantiagoDR
350mo09.gif

You are getting sleepy, very sleepy!

Dates on diet sodas are very important, not so sure about regular soda.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Dates on diet sodas are very important, not so sure about regular soda.
I have noticed that years ago about diet sodas.
The taste really changes when they get pass the expiration date.

2a5jfw9.gif

SantiagoDR

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
i think i may personally vistit your house and strangle you if you dare to throw away a good polish sausage! polish sausages never go off, it's the world that cannot keep up with polish sausages!
do not worry, every time i go home i bring a suitcase full of polish food, i freeze it and then consume it over time, expiration dates are only a fiction to keep fools buying and buying :)

Amen cipko !

lajackael

Dec 12, 2004
pages.prodigy.net
I purchased some chocolate milk a few days ago. Got down to the bottom of the container and it was gobbles of thick murky chocolate. I checked the expiration date and it was due to expire in a few days. I have learned to respect milk exp dates.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have learned to respect milk exp dates.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I have purchased the carton milk, put in the refrigerator UNOPENED with the expiration date in 2 months. When I opened for the first time the milk was no good. You have to trust your eyes and your nose, they are better than any ex date on products sold here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
waytogo said:
Maybe yes, maybe no. I have purchased the carton milk, put in the refrigerator UNOPENED with the expiration date in 2 months. When I opened for the first time the milk was no good. You have to trust your eyes and your nose, they are better than any ex date on products sold here.

That's happened to me with La Campesina brand (el barato sale caro). Now I stick to La Vaquita, Lactis, etc.
Used to buy Rica fresh milk but it was spoiled prior to the sell-by date on more than one occasion.