house sitting in the Dominican Republic

Meinon

Sep 16, 2010
My wife and I live in Germany but because of health reasons we would like to spend the cold German winter months Nov.- 1st March in the D.R.
If there is anybody out there who would like to have reliable and honest people (J.W.) babysit their house or condo while they are abroad, then please contact us.
Rolf

Last edited by a moderator:

Jo@nna

Apr 11, 2009
Not sure if I understand. Do you need a house sitter in DR or in Germany? If in DR can you please mention where the house is located.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Not sure if I understand. Do you need a house sitter in DR or in Germany? If in DR can you please mention where the house is located.

It sounds like THEY want to house sit for someone in the D.R.
while they are here.

Aug 21, 2007
One possibility for someone like this is to house swap.

HomeExchange.com

I have nothing to do with this business, but have always been intrigued and interested in giving it a try. You register where you live and what your house is like. Then you register where you are interested in going. You can do a search for people interested in coming to your area who are from the area where you wish to visit. Then you contact them and negotiate. The site guarantees that you will make a swap in the first year.

There are quite a few people wanting to come to the DR and others who offer their DR homes to swap on the site.

I have registered, but not gone forward. Has anyone here actually done this?

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LK They made a movie about that.. right?

A jilted LA woman traded with an English woman.... fell in love with the brother.
Can't remember the name of it.

I have never done it but hear it works well...... might be a bit intrusive for some.... they use the cars sometimes.
All those details are up for negotiations

WW

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
LK They made a movie about that.. right?

A jilted LA woman traded with an English woman.... fell in love with the brother.
Can't remember the name of it.

I have never done it but hear it works well...... might be a bit intrusive for some.... they use the cars sometimes.
All those details are up for negotiations

WW

It is becoming quite popular in Europe for holidays... you know the stuff I live at the coast but would like mountains, and vice versa... I have heard very positive things about it from people, even to the point where they will feed your pets, etc... (quite a lot of expense saved compared to putting them in a boarding home, and much more personal). My only worry would be that you have all kinds of personal stuff in your home, and it seems a hell of a job to get that all stashed away somewhere. I would not really feel comfortable knowing somebody could go through your photo-albums, bank-statements, whatever...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
But isn't Nov. to Mar. high season in the DR? I would think empty condos and houses would be hard to find during that time no?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
With a rental or a house swap you can lock all your personal stuff into one room/cuarto de servicio or whatever. I'd be more worried about people running the a/c 24/7.

AnnaC said:
But isn't Nov. to Mar. high season in the DR? I would think empty condos and houses would be hard to find during that time no?
Lots of empty houses and condos all year round, but many owners would rather let them sit empty than rent below asking price, so house sitting is even less likely. That's why I suggested they were better off tapping into the JW network.