What do the dominican republic?s toursits police do?

bearcat

Nov 12, 2008
As we understand it the Tourist Police are a supposed specialized unit of the Nation Police set aside in special uniforms in tourist areas to protect visitors to the Dominican Republic. We have on information and belief that they were organized to correct abused to tourist by mainline National Police. Another solution that did not fit the problem it was designed to fix or better another solution that bypassed the problem of corrupt police. However the question needs to be asked what do they do? Or better what can or will they do to assist visitors?
It is a fact that tourist are responsible for twelve (12%) of the gross national product of the Dominican Republic. But are visitors better off with tourist police or would they be better off by fixing the problem of police corruption? The answer without contradiction is no! Most of the officers I have seen can only speak Spanish and worse most are not literate even in their mother tongue. In addition I have to wonder how so many of these men and women have clipped to their uniforms high-end cell telephones which costs more than their stated monthly salary. God only knows where they earn the extra money; although I have heard rumors. Further it seems that they spend their time either talking to whores or each other rather than patrolling the tourist areas. To be fair I have seen some very fair honest men and women simply doing their jobs but it is rare and it should not be.
Having been here for an extended period of time I would suggest to all those who want a safe and enjoyable travel experience to go somewhere else. You will not be safe here.
If you are foolish enough not to hear my warning get ready to be cheated, overcharged and robbed. Every petty crook of this island knows that he can take your property with impunity as long as he gives the tourist police their share.
I have seen the most egregious crimes against children pardoned by a trip to the ATM machine. If there is a place that is heaven for pedophiles it is here. That is pedophiles with money! They are not taken to jail but to the bank; maybe that explains the cell phones.
If you still feel that you must see the ?DR?; then please go to a walled, guarded all inclusive resort were the owners will keep you safe from those who ?serve and protect.?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
a very interesting insight about the police not speaking english, or any other foreign language, for that matter. yes, if a tourist from Des Moines, Iowa, has his or her wallet stolen, how exactly does the victim easily communicate the circumstances and details to the police, without intermediaries? and, if these intermediaries are Dominican, how does the victim, who probably does not speak spanish, know that the translator is relaying the information accurately, or is not acting in a manner to set himself up for a share of the booty? i mean, nothing is beyond the imagination here. nickle and dime hustling rules the roost.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Most of the officers I have seen can only speak Spanish and worse most are not literate even in their mother tongue. In addition I have to wonder how so many of these men and women have clipped to their uniforms high-end cell telephones which costs more than their stated monthly salary. God only knows where they earn the extra money; although I have heard rumors. Further it seems that they spend their time either talking to whores or each other rather than patrolling the tourist areas. To be fair I have seen some very fair honest men and women simply doing their jobs but it is rare and it should not be.
Having been here for an extended period of time I would suggest to all those who want a safe and enjoyable travel experience to go somewhere else. You will not be safe here.
If you are foolish enough not to hear my warning get ready to be cheated, overcharged and robbed. Every petty crook of this island knows that he can take your property with impunity as long as he gives the tourist police their share.
I have seen the most egregious crimes against children pardoned by a trip to the ATM machine. If there is a place that is heaven for pedophiles it is here. That is pedophiles with money! They are not taken to jail but to the bank; maybe that explains the cell phones.
If you still feel that you must see the ?DR?; then please go to a walled, guarded all inclusive resort were the owners will keep you safe from those who ?serve and protect.?

Firstly, who in thier right mind would get themselves educated in English and then take a job on a Tourist Police salary? Might answer your question.
Secondly, the cell phone thing. Yes many of them are got in a less than policelike manner, but most can bargain and swap phones like currency, people use phones as currency in a kind of way. Alot of seconds pass through here, what you find in the shop can easily be got before it hits the shop for 10th of the price you will see. So when you see Pedro the Policeman with a 14000pesos blackberry, you can be almost sure he paid no more than 2,000 pesos for it. These people know where to get things cheap, and most of us would if we knew where and how.
Third, talking to whores and each other? This is the Caribbean, people are chilled out and chatty, it is part of the job to keep friendly and good relations with the people they work among, if you want uptight living with no smiles, go to Fance!
And on,,, Won't be safe here?? Safer than London and many other places I've lived around the world, if you come a cropper here then learn from it, you have as much chance of being stung here as anywhere else, but no more so.
And on,,,,, you have to be responsible for yourself, the tourist police are here to have a presence. The police you don't see make all the arrests, and protect you without you even knowing it.
If you have seen crimes against children then where are your morals, it is your duty to stand up if you feel that strongly.
All poor countries are attractive to kiddy fiddlers, sad but a fact of life.
And finally, if you limit yourself to the walled in A/I resorts around the country then you are not visiting the Republic, you are visiting an interpretation of what someone wants you to believe, you could be anywhere.
Your main grief seems to be with the tourist police for some reason, you have to look after yourself, they are there to help but not babysit you. Be aware af where you are coming to.
My tupence!!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Why

As we understand it the Tourist Police are a supposed specialized unit of the Nation Police set aside in special uniforms in tourist areas to protect visitors to the Dominican Republic. We have on information and belief that they were organized to correct abused to tourist by mainline National Police. Another solution that did not fit the problem it was designed to fix or better another solution that bypassed the problem of corrupt police. However the question needs to be asked what do they do? Or better what can or will they do to assist visitors?
It is a fact that tourist are responsible for twelve (12%) of the gross national product of the Dominican Republic. But are visitors better off with tourist police or would they be better off by fixing the problem of police corruption? The answer without contradiction is no! Most of the officers I have seen can only speak Spanish and worse most are not literate even in their mother tongue. In addition I have to wonder how so many of these men and women have clipped to their uniforms high-end cell telephones which costs more than their stated monthly salary. God only knows where they earn the extra money; although I have heard rumors. Further it seems that they spend their time either talking to whores or each other rather than patrolling the tourist areas. To be fair I have seen some very fair honest men and women simply doing their jobs but it is rare and it should not be.

I can only guess what your calling an extended period, but am guessing that its less than mine. I predate Politur, and Amet.

Politur do some good yes they congregate, and hustle, much less so then the PN. Some do speak english, know of at least a couple.
If you have seen egregious crimes against children and did nothing, then your just a gulity as to one doing the crime in my book.

I think you must find some other place where your happier. Why are you here?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have seen the tourist police accepting bribes by pimps...

I do not like it, but it happens in every country... sadly this is one of the countries where it happens more openly...

The sad thing is that this is not a cultural thing, but one encouraged by "sick" visitors, encouraging this by big bucks...

So, do not blame the police (well, in reality you should... or the locals, but the depraved Americans, Europeans, etc...

Only way this could be stopped is by a real crackdown by the government... and it is needed to save the tourism industry...

Reactions: Africaida

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Anastacia:

Please don't excuse public functionaries not doing their duty because of low salary. They took the job, they should do it.

If your excuse is acceptable, then by extension, the logical conclusion must be that ALL officials are terminally corrupt and dangerous.

The OP has excellent points posed in an understandably frustrated manner. Pandering to the "Oh, well, what can anybody do?" crowd doesn't help.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anastacia:

Please don't excuse public functionaries not doing their duty because of low salary. They took the job, they should do it.

If your excuse is acceptable, then by extension, the logical conclusion must be that ALL officials are terminally corrupt and dangerous.

The OP has excellent points posed in an understandably frustrated manner. Pandering to the "Oh, well, what can anybody do?" crowd doesn't help.

My points are valid, people don't study English then take a crap job. Who do you think we could put in place? Maybe advertise internationally and bring some people from over seas to do it?

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Aw BearCat sometimes you wish you had slower fingers

I can only guess what your calling an extended period, but am guessing that its less than mine. I predate Politur, and Amet.

Politur do some good yes they congregate, and hustle, much less so then the PN. Some do speak english, know of at least a couple.
If you have seen egregious crimes against children and did nothing, then your just a gulity as to one doing the crime in my book.

I think you must find some other place where your happier. Why are you here?

The above must have really pulled your Johnson for you to PM me I was confused by the Homeboy comment. I should not delete PM quite so quick, then I can post here for everyone to see.

so what your were a cop in your country! Big whoop your not there now are you? I am assuming that was the US of A, by your use of language.

Which Bull**** were you referring to that you put people in jail for? My comment or the pedophiles. Because if your seeing it and not turning them in my comment still stands, your a guilty as they are.
And Politur is still better than the PN. what else have I said you don't like???

Oh and in the PM you did not tell me your definition of extended time. Is this weeks, months, years, or decades?

Don't be so shy next time we all like to read the comments. PM is for Pu**ys. Not big bad cops.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I have seen the tourist police accepting bribes by pimps...

I do not like it, but it happens in every country... sadly this is one of the countries where it happens more openly...

The sad thing is that this is not a cultural thing, but one encouraged by "sick" visitors, encouraging this by big bucks...

So, do not blame the police (well, in reality you should... or the locals, but the depraved Americans, Europeans, etc...

Only way this could be stopped is by a real crackdown by the government... and it is needed to save the tourism industry...

They accept bribes by everybody, sad but really, those guys make US$200.00 a month. What do you expect with a family to feed.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
They accept bribes by everybody, sad but really, those guys make US$200.00 a month. What do you expect with a family to feed.

An what really sucks is they are the hi paid ones, PN and AMET both make less about $150.00us. Now I hear the METRO cops make more than POLITUR. not sure just heard that, also would not know why.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
An what really sucks is they are the hi paid ones, PN and AMET both make less about $150.00us. Now I hear the METRO cops make more than POLITUR. not sure just heard that, also would not know why.

And then you expect them to be brave against really dangerous delincuentes.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Me also, it appears I am a moron for allowing kiddy fiddlers into the country and I should be doing something about it. One step at a time my dear, when I can get over the problem of dumping rubbish on my street I will address the kiddy fiddling issue.
And please stop PMing me, you are irritating me.
You are clearly mad!

Reactions: pedrochemical

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I honestly have no ideas on how much the Tourist Police make over here... as there are none in Jarabacoa...:bunny:

If they really make what you say they make, then it shows why corruption is allowed to run its course...

the government here spends millions on crazy projects like a high-speed train between santiago and SD..., a loop around STI, etc...

Maybe they should inquire about the quality of their police officers, fire the useless ones, reward the good ones (and I am sure they are there somewhere), and give them a decent salary...

Mind you, and I have said this before... this problem is in every country in the world, only a lot more obvious in this country, and probably on a larger scale...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I honestly have no ideas on how much the Tourist Police make over here... as there are none in Jarabacoa...:bunny:
Really?

Care to meet the local Politur chief, Lt. Ramon? How about his staff of 6?