We are growing...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
But not as fast as Zynga of Farmville and Mafia Wars fame.

This is not 100% DR related, so I will be sure to move the thread when we open the "Off Topic" forum :)

You gotta love social media.

10 percent of the world’s internet population (approximately 215 million monthly users) has played a Zynga game.

The company adds as many as 1,000 servers every week to accommodate growing traffic.

Zynga’s properties move a whopping 1 petabyte of data daily, and the company operates its own data centers; using a hybrid private/public cloud infrastructure. Petrabyte is 1,073,741,824 MB or just over 1 billion mega bytes.

Zynga’s technology supports 3 billion neighbor connections on games like Frontierville and Farmville.

We are now starting to see Farmville meet up parties in the DR.
I should go along to one, curious to see what type of crowd turns up.

Nerd moment over...

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Seti

That is pretty amazing. It is an awesome amount of data.... and wasted productivity.

All that processing power could do much for the SETI program.:alien::alien::alien:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How much do you pay for a server inc installation - couple thousand bucks??

Holy platanos Batman!

What?

Zynga, Google, Facebook etc use cluster farms.
Adding servers is not an issue. Plus they are not the typical boxes you buy at Best Buy etc :)

Barebones with custom boards, memory, power supplies etc.
A lot less than US$2,000 a piece.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
What?

Zynga, Google, Facebook etc use cluster farms.
Adding servers is not an issue. Plus they are not the typical boxes you buy at Best Buy etc :)

Barebones with custom boards, memory, power supplies etc.
A lot less than US$2,000 a piece.

So they lease (cyber) space as it were?

I am still a child of the 80's and my old brain still has trouble with the cloud concept being rigorous - but I am getting there slowly. I use it but I kind of do not beleive something exists unless I can see it.

And I do not consider info properly backed up unless it exists on at least 2 different continents.

Am I getting old?