Southwestern to buy Air Tran

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Airtran doesn't fly to The DR yet, although it looks like they've slated to start service sometime in Feb. 2011. I hope it doesn't go the other way and Southwest nixes the international routes. They only like to operate in The US.

I would love to see them fly to STI or SDQ.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If the DR gov't were smart they would realize the opportunity of having a big discount carrier in town and reduce their taxes to open up other routes. Who knows this could spark an increase in tourism here.

Of course this would put a hurt on the politicians being able change their Land Rover every year, oh well.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Its just incredible. I bought a girlfriend a roundtrip ticket from FLL to SDQ on JBLUE and it was just $88.00. The taxes were $130. I have taken bus rides more expensive than that and for approx. the same distance. If the politicians were smart at all, they would run the country hyper-efficiently. They would likely be making more money as the economy would be far larger than it is now. From JFK to SDQ my ticket is $150-180 and then wam! 130 in taxes. People would fly down for the weekend all the time if not for those stinking taxes... not to mention taxes on everything else but the air. A bill for fine steak and wine dinner in SDQs best restaurant often rivals or surpasses those of Manhattan. If people can consume more and more foreigners can come and consume more, the taxes will still be there from other sources.... but hey someone has to pay the debt being used to fake 7% growth and pad politician's bank accounts.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Short sightedness at its most obvious and stupid level.
The highest avgas prices in the whole region and the highest airport taxes.

A tourist spends at least 100 bucks a day. Why not reduce taxes by $50...??? Nah, it makes too much sense...

And Southwest lets bags fly free!!! BE a nice catfight between Spirit and Southwest...

HB

edm7583

May 29, 2007
As few of the two airline's routes overlap, Southwest has stated that they plan to serve all the cities that AirTran will serve with the exception of DFW airport, (since Southwest's home and headquarters is at DAL (Dallas Love Field) This gives Southwest in an instant a huge presence at ATL (the largest city in the US that currently has ZERO service from southwest) and DCA (Ronald Reagan Airport in D.C.)

Southwest already carries more people domestically inside the United States than any other airline. This purchase will in an instant make Southwest a monster carrier, essentially the Aeroflot of the United States.

Airtran has a small international presence. They currently do charter flights to Punta Cana for Apple Vacations. and will begin regular commerical flights to PUJ in February.

Southwest is a domestic airline but has expressed some interest in flights Canada. (where having U.S. border preclearance makes the international flights work with their business model). As pretty much all Southwest gates are located in terminals/facilities not equiped for international arrivals, flights arriving from other international destinations would have to arrive at a different terminal, then be towed to Southwest's regular terminal for departure (this is how JetBlue operates) cutting down on the quick turn-around time Southwest is famous for.

In all other aspects , Southwest has made it clear that it will not adopt any of the business models of AirTran.

-They will continue open seating and not have assigned seating like AirTran
-They will operate a single cabin and get rid of AirTran's business class.
They will keep AirTran's Wifi inflight as Southwest is in the process of putting this in their planes.
-And best of all, they will get rid of AirTran's first and second bag fee charge and keep Southwest's policy of two bags free.