Brothers visiting the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Lets talk about the huge groups of brothers (African Americans) coming to have fun in DR. 15 yrs ago no blacks would be seen anywhere from the north america but now, they are claiming their share of presence in many parts of this island. I have met 2 guys who are married to women here and actually have houses with their 1/2 dominican kids living in them. These 2 guys would not take their family to usa. One guy owned 2 houses and maybe 2 girlfriends living in separate houses in 2 different cities. Now it seems the dominican fame has reached deeper in to the african american communities in usa and guys are coming in groups from every state you can imagine. They come from all backgrounds, from regular office workers to lawyers and doctors. many just can't believe the attention they can get from young beautiful women in all shades and colors. The way these women treat them and make them feel so special. These boys are also becoming addicted like any other men. Now you generally see a head of the group who speaks some spanish and knows the way around in DR, then you have like 5 of his friends listening to him and following his directions. They all seem to be having great success with the women here and many are actually making real girlfriends. Some guys have bought properties here and others are renting on full time basis. Non of these guys would ever want to go back to the american women in their own communities.
I want to know how the african american women are taking all this? how do they feel when they are losing their men to these girls in foreign countries? How do the family members feel and think if their male member traveling so much to this island, so many times / year? hahaha. I am just curious. I want some input from the AA members of dr1.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Oh, my brother is boring. He is too straight.
By the way, please fix the heading for me, it should be "brothers" not "brother's". thanks

RhondaJohnson

Sep 29, 2010
You know what a black woman thinks. 1st the white woman steals my man now a Dominican. Actually being raised in NY this is not uncommon. Lots of black and Dominicans date. I am the reulst of that union

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Lets talk about the huge groups of brothers (African Americans) coming to have fun in DR. 15 yrs ago no blacks would be seen anywhere from the north america but now, they are claiming their share of presence in many parts of this island. I have met 2 guys who are married to women here and actually have houses with their 1/2 dominican kids living in them. These 2 guys would not take their family to usa. One guy owned 2 houses and maybe 2 girlfriends living in separate houses in 2 different cities. Now it seems the dominican fame has reached deeper in to the african american communities in usa and guys are coming in groups from every state you can imagine. They come from all backgrounds, from regular office workers to lawyers and doctors. many just can't believe the attention they can get from young beautiful women in all shades and colors. The way these women treat them and make them feel so special. These boys are also becoming addicted like any other men. Now you generally see a head of the group who speaks some spanish and knows the way around in DR, then you have like 5 of his friends listening to him and following his directions. They all seem to be having great success with the women here and many are actually making real girlfriends. Some guys have bought properties here and others are renting on full time basis. Non of these guys would ever want to go back to the american women in their own communities.
I want to know how the african american women are taking all this? how do they feel when they are losing their men to these girls in foreign countries? How do the family members feel and think if their male member traveling so much to this island, so many times / year? hahaha. I am just curious. I want some input from the AA members of dr1.
AZB

1st of all, who you calling "boys"???!

These "brothers" are migrating to the DR for the same reasons that all the rest of the demographic groups are migrating to the DR. Because it costs 10x as much to have the same fun in Brazil, where we used to go in the 80's and 90's. All kinds of femme-mag articles (especially in Essence) have pointed to the African American traveling Man's preference for that former destination and now to the preference for Dominican shores. They try to break down the reasons with a thousand wrong guesses and by the time they think they've got it figured out we'll be on the shores of Malindi.

There are reminders of racism in every aspect of everyday life in the US and Blacks and Latinos (with the exception of Miami Cubans) find themselves on the same side of almost every one of them. I grew up in NYC with many latino cultures represented in my neighborhood thanks to the presence of Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Hondurans, Ecuadorans, Panamanians, etc. and our cultural overlap was very noticable. It's kind of why I chuckle when I hear about folks trying to describe the "Dominican culture" or the "barrio culture" like it's some big damn mystery. It's not very far removed from the "American" culture where I grew up.

"Brothers" get off the plane in the Dominican airports and immediately sense that the color of their skin is the least of their problems and that as long as there's money (not much, mind you) in their pockets and that "one guy" who speaks some Spanish is close at hand they know that for them, they are in a better place than they left. Their daily interactions with Domican locals, friend and stranger alike will bear this out and eventually each of them will become "that guy" who speaks some Spanish and lead a brand new pack of newbies through the jungle.

Many will make their mistakes, especially guys with less exposure to Latin/ Caribbean culture but many of the Dominicans and more seasoned "travelling brothers" whom I have observed helping these guys understand the rules of comportment will continue to aid them in understanding the environment, the culture and the people. The "brothers" who accept these lessons with grace and humility will continue to enjoy the country and learn its language, customs and courtesies and those who don't will have to move on or find an AI to stay at because not everyone is ready for the prime time travel experience.

Reactions: Africaida

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
AZB

Thanks for not putting this in the Mars/Venus forum!;)

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
There is not a significant number of guys travelling to the DR for there to be an impact. While it may look like a lot from the perception of someone living in the DR it is really a small percentage.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's the weave. black women should forget the weave and go au naturel, letting men run fingers through their hair while making love. this will fix everything, according to chris rock and his "good hair". great movie, btw.

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010
Interesting thread....Well, first please feel free to just say 'Black guys', 'Black people', 'Black Americans' and my least favorite 'African American's' (which I don't really consider myself to be, but that is an entire subject unto itself. But pa lo que vinimos, you said "Non of these guys would ever want to go back to the american women in their own communities.
I want to know how the african american women are taking all this? how do they feel when they are losing their men to these girls in foreign countries? How do the family members feel and think if their male member traveling so much to this island, so many times / year?
" Well, I'm sure they are just like any other group of Men who are not native to the Island. To them its likely viewed as an extended vacation...who wants to go back to the regular hustle and bustle, 9 to 5, day in and day out grind of America if you could stay in the Dominican Republic, spend less money, see new sights, see new people, enjoy the weather and culture??? I imagine nobody. How do the Black Woman feel, they probably could careless. Simply put, there are enough of us 'Brothers' (lol) still here to go around, so its not like its some epidemic of Black Men refusing to date Black Women. Those who do come represent a very, very small majority. Before the Earthquake in Haiti, most of the guys in my neck of the woods probably did not know where the Dominican Republic was exactly. My point is that, as a Black guy I can certainly say that there is no travel fever sweeping the throngs of Black men here. Furthermore, guys are normally attracted to any Woman that appears 'exotic' looking to them. So, it is only logical that Black men would like Dominican Woman, and that Dominican Woman would like them back.......afterall we are not really all that different. Racially speaking, there is the African thread we all have in common. And for some of us, there is a VERY similar European Settler, Native Indian, African Tribesman connection. So again, the Black Women here are perfectly content, they are not protesting in the streets or anything like that. As far as the family members, if anything they are probably just wishing they could visit D.R. as much too. Personally, I also find Dominican Women highly attractive, but beauty is beauty, doesn't matter where you find it. In summary, for every Black Man that leaves a Black Woman, there is a another Man from another culture ready to step right in. Love always finds a way.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Keep in mind that, with all of the comments that MAY be made on this topic, black women are ALSO traveling to the DR.

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010
So then the "Sistas" are all in an uproar about nothing?

What's with this Brothas and Sistas nonsense??? Just say Black people, its not a crime, trust me. "Brother" and "Sister" (let alone "Sistas") just sounds antiquated and silly. But, again there is no 'uproar', no panic, no protest, no nothing. The Black Women here are ok, trust me. As mentioned previously, it might 'seem' like there are armies of lusting Black Men, desperately visiting the Dominican Republic in search of Love (or Lust), but I can assure you it is a VERY small minority. You will find more Men or other races and cultures 9 times out of 10. Its really simple Math and Logic. As a people we are growing and improving, but we are still behind, so comparatively we have less money to vacation than say your average guy from Canada, Germany, Italy etc. Secondly, as a people we are somewhat aloof, so we are not as quick to visit places and do things we do not know much about. As I mentioned in my other post, most of the Black guys en mi barrio, don't even know where the Dominican Republic is exactly. They know its an island somewhere in the Caribbean, buts thats about it. So again, those who come there will ALWAYS represent a VERY, VERY, VERY small minority of your average Black guy here in the States. When I come I will represent an even SMALLER minority than that because I DO speak Spanish, I DO know Dominican's there, and I DO know a bit about the Dominican Republic (relatively speaking).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Keep in mind that, with all of the comments that MAY be made on this topic, black women are ALSO traveling to the DR.

yes but how many do you see coming in large groups? Not many as compared to black men. bachetero has some points but greydread made a very good post.
I was wondering, since there also seems to be some successful black men coming here as well, examples: lawyers, doctors and even business men from north america etc. These guys live well back home and have do quite well in their fields of work. The sister must be a bit jealous now because the same men who would sniff their footsteps everywhere are now wondering in a different country to look for younger and prettier women. These same guys don't even want to put up with the hassle of dating with the independent american women. So there must be some impact on the dating market. Supply of women is there, but the demand is dropping or maybe the demand from better class men is dropping.
AZB

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Exactly, good point.

You may want to understand that some of the other posters in this thread are "Brothas and Sistas", or African American" or black. No monopoly on the terms used ... I can remember how some of those terms came about, and what they were before ....

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You may want to understand that some of the other posters in this thread are "Brothas and Sistas", or African American" or black. No monopoly on the terms used ... I can remember how some of those terms came about, and what they were before ....

That would be me: I am Black but NOT African American :classic:

So, I am clueless about what you guys are talking about (if it makes sense :eek:).

All I can say is that I have not seen many Black tourists wherever they may be from (I am sure there are some, but they are still a small number). The fact is that I get asked about a billion times a day where I am from because of that (the fact that I speak Spanish decently make people even more curious).

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
yes but how many do you see coming in large groups? Not many as compared to black men. bachetero has some points but greydread made a very good post.
I was wondering, since there also seems to be some successful black men coming here as well, examples: lawyers, doctors and even business men from north america etc. These guys live well back home and have do quite well in their fields of work. The sister must be a bit jealous now because the same men who would sniff their footsteps everywhere are now wondering in a different country to look for younger and prettier women. These same guys don't even want to put up with the hassle of dating with the independent american women. So there must be some impact on the dating market. Supply of women is there, but the demand is dropping or maybe the demand from better class men is dropping.
AZB

It's actually not complicated at all. African American men come to the DR for the same reasons, and with the same expectations as other man. In terms of numbers, I know many who aren't even identified as African American. Some do just sort of blend in .... You may not know how many are in the DR ...

I do agree, there seems to be some jealousy, especially among the women who may no longer have many options to travel, or who are not adventurous enough to explore other relationships themselves. Again, it may not be that much different from what other women are feeling about this.

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010
yes but how many do you see coming in large groups? Not many as compared to black men"................"These same guys don't even want to put up with the hassle of dating with the independent american women. So there must be some impact on the dating market. Supply of women is there, but the demand is dropping or maybe the demand from better class men is dropping.
AZB

Well the coming in large groups makes sense and really supports my earlier point about Black people being kinda aloof. We (I use VERY, VERY generally) are not really the type of people to just be automatically trusting to people and things we don't know, lets just say that didn't work out to well for us in the past. So we travel in numbers for security, protection and familiarity. You are more likely to see Black people travel in groups, than to see them traveling solo. Its a survival based instinct for us.
Now I will say there IS an ongoing issue with the 'independent Woman' thinking and the disenfranchised Black man thing. Black Women (out of relative necessity) have become more independent to survive, since socially speaking Black Men were under attack (racism, discrimination, lack of education opportunities, lack of employment, drugs, violence - domestic and foreign, etc) and could never really establish families. So now there is an ongoing issue with Black Women having to learn to 'let go' of their independence to a degree, and Black Men having to learn to take the lead etc. But that issue is really impotent as it concerns this thread. Black Men come to the Dominican Republic for the same reason as any other groups of racially diverse Men do - to enjoy themselves. That may be enjoying the weather or enjoying, the scenery, the Women or a combination thereof. It just 'seems' to be a new phenomenon because as a people we are simply MORE capable of visiting foreign places than before. 'We' travel in groups for security and convenience, not because there are lines of Black guys here DYING to get to D.R. because we have lost our taste for Black Women, that is simply not the case. Keep in mind, Dominican Women (regardless of the high percentages of Taino blood people may LIKE to claim) to us are just Black Women with an exotic flair and lovely accent. Black women and Dominican women are not like Apples and Oranges to us, but more like Red Apples and Green Apples.

Reactions: woofsback
Status
Not open for further replies.