Kaoba Kiling

SaintLoouieJim

Jul 3, 2009
I need some help. Can someone point me to a phone number of someone in the environment ministry, "los bosques" who is responsible for protecting mahogany trees on the north coast? Someone went on my property, a lot I bought, and poisoned a dozen trees. I am not happy.

Reactions: mike l

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bernab? Ma?on is the Vice-Minister in charge of Forestry. Call the ministry, and ask for him. He speaks pretty fair English and is a very intelligent man.
If you PM me, I will give you my name as a reference. He WILL pay attention.

Cordially,

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its seems a bit late to report it if they are already dead (what were his motives), I think you can also get into trouble for cutting down dead koaba trees

SaintLoouieJim

Jul 3, 2009
The apparent motive is to "improve the view" of the ocean for lots behind these, not necessarily for the value of the wood, which is even worse IMO.

The damages were discovered last week in September, about a day after they had been scored and then poisoned. The leaves were brown and falling off two days later. It doesn't take long for that at all. Another so-called developer burned a large number of Kaobas right next to this in January and left the burned husks as well.

SaintLoouieJim

Jul 3, 2009
P.S.
I filed a complaint online with the environment ministry. Photos, sat maps, and all. Thanks again for the information. I will post again to followup when something happens.

Reactions: Celt202

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
On=line? You have done next to nothing. Call them, like I said. If they know you know someone, then action MIGHT be taken...Otherwise, it will be lost in cyberspace...

HB

So's you do not have an excuse: 809 472 0626, and ask for Ingeniero Ma??n (Bernab?)

Last edited:

SaintLoouieJim

Jul 3, 2009
There are witnesses. Even several PN, although that's not worth much here.probably. It is common knowledge here who did this. I am not clearing any lot for construction, or sale, so I don't know where that idea came from. I like(d) it as it was. Also, this has been done on many other adjacent lots here as well. I have no fear of problems calling at all. Just didn't know who.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If you play this right you have right there some beautiful timber.

I know it is not your first thought, but something good could come out of this - like furniture that lasts 500 years.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I know, but is there not some embargo on selling it?
Probably get round that with a few pesos in the right direction - but imagine the legacy of the stuff you could make with that timber.

"Your great, great, great, great Granddady made this furniture - around the time of the Grand Depression - you know - before you could drive to Cuba....."