Drinking Water

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I have a water filter hooked up to a faucet that comes straight from the street, not from the cistern, the issue with this is, there is never any water pressure, I was wondering, is it safe to connect the filter to the cistern, is cistern water any worse than water off the street?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes the cistern water is worse than the one that comes from the street if you don't fallow the procedures of cistern maintenance...
Do you empty and clean your cistern at least three times a year???
Do you apply Clorox to the water in order to keep it from germs???
Etc, Etc.

JJ

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Yes the cistern water is worse than the one that comes from the street if you don't fallow the procedures of cistern maintenance...
Do you empty and clean your cistern at least three times a year???
Do you apply Clorox to the water in order to keep it from germs???
Etc, Etc.

JJ

It's cleaned twice a year, and bleach is added every month.

Ok, barring hooking up the filter to the cistern, I would need a small pump to get the water through the filter, does anyone have any recommendations for a small pump that runs on 110v something that I can just pull out when I need water from the filter.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
You can get a small water pump with pressure tank at any respectable hardware store. You will need to add a pressure switch, so it turns on and off automatically.

If you can't install it yourself, ask the hardware folks if they can recommend somebody. When you get a quote from that person, if you want, run it by us here, and we'll tell you if it's ball park or not.

Once the pump is installed and you have pressure in the house, you can use the filter on your faucet, but I also would recommend that you don't drink it.

That's the system I have set up for the house, except a lot larger, and why do you recommend that I don't drink water filtered at home? I can't realistically see the water sold for 50 pesos for 5 gallons being any better.