How much would it cost me to bring my boyfriend from dominican republic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buchua

Sep 29, 2010
Who do i contact to ask this?
Any tips (No rude ones)
Any advice about money wise?
Anything would be helpful. thank you.
in advance.

I want to bring my boyfriend here to live with me. (Not rightnow) but here in a couple months.. i wanted to get started with the papers for him and everything, will it be like 4000 or more us dollars?
Or is it cheaper i really dont know and im not even sure someone can tell me a price does it vary on the person?

Also i apologize is this isnt the place to put this.
My apologies

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Any tips (No rude ones)
in advance.

I want to bring my boyfriend here to live with me. (Not rightnow) but here in a couple months.. i wanted to get started with the papers for him and everything, will it be like 4000 or more us dollars?
Or is it cheaper i really dont know and im not even sure someone can tell me a price does it vary on the person?

My apologies

First of all, where is "here"?? If it's the US do a google search for K-1 Visas, it's bringing him there on a fiancee visa. There are a lot of pitfalls, use the search engine here, or just scan both the Visa forum and the Mars/Venus forum.

AE

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Any tips (No rude ones)
in advance.

My apologies

It's hard to give you the proper info if you don't tell us where " here" is.

What country do you want him to visit? Do you want him to visit, stay forever? These things are important to know

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Straight Talk...start with $5,000 USD

Any tips (No rude ones)
in advance.

My apologies

Okay. You want to bring him home (USA) with the goal of living with you as a "fiancee" if I'm reading you correctly. You can file the applications on your own if you'd like and take your chances with the system which is a lot like taking your chances with the lottery if you're not prepared. The visa fee is just the start. He'll need a temporary resident application and an application for employment authorization. There are no guarrantees and if denied, your application fees are NOT refundable.

Check the table for filing costs, we're already up over $1,500 USD:

USCIS - Check Filing Fees

Even if you get an immigration attorney there is a chance that the process may not yield the desired result. The rule of thumb is "the better the attorney, the better the result, the higher the cost". A typical low end visa mill is going to want a $3,000 USD retainer. Then the filing fees, then they'll want more money when it's time (if the temporary resident/work visa is successful) to go for the permanent resident status in 2 years after the temporary is granted.

Over $4,500 before we even start to talk about the permanent resident application if you use even a low end attorney. A higher end attorney will want a similar retainer but they'll burn through it even faster as they provide additional services like home country records checks and prospective sources of employment and referals in te host country (US).

Having gone through the entire process, I would advise you to go with a less expensive attorney if you're sure this guy doesn't have any criminal record or debt back home. They will sort out the paperwork for you and provide you with the list of things that USCIS will require as proof so that when you're called for the biometrics and the initial interview you'll have a neat folder with all you need nicely arranged and well prepared. Then it's up to the two of you. The interviewers have seen it all and they are allowed a range of pointed questions designed to expose fraud, abuse or insincerity. The thing that you have in your favor is that they don't have a lot of time to spend on each case so if you walk in well prepared it will work in your favor.

One of the biggest hurdles is the fact that you'll be required to prove the ability to support both yourself and your spouse....for the next 10 years.

Reactions: las2137

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Okay. You want to bring him home (USA) with the goal of living with you as a "fiancee" if I'm reading you correctly. You can file the applications on your own if you'd like and take your chances with the system which is a lot like taking your chances with the lottery if you're not prepared. The visa fee is just the start. He'll need a temporary resident application and an application for employment authorization. There are no guarrantees and if denied, your application fees are NOT refundable.

Even if you get an immigration attorney there is a chance that the process may not yield the desired result. The rule of thumb is "the better the attorney, the better the result, the higher the cost". A typical low end visa mill is going to want a $3,000 USD retainer. Then the filing fees, then they'll want more money when it's time (if the temporary resident/work visa is successful) to go for the permanent resident status in 2 years after the temporary is granted.

Over $4,500 before we even start to talk about the permanent resident application if you use even a low end attorney. A higher end attorney will want a similar retainer but they'll burn through it even faster as they provide additional services like home country records checks and prospective sources of employment and referals in te host country (US).

Having gone through the entire process, I would advise you to go with a less expensive attorney if you're sure this guy doesn't have any criminal record or debt back home. They will sort out the paperwork for you and provide you with the list of things that USCIS will require as proof so that when you're called for the biometrics and the initial interview you'll have a neat folder with all you need nicely arranged and well prepared. Then it's up to the two of you. The interviewers have seen it all and they are allowed a range of pointed questions designed to expose fraud, abuse or insincerity. The thing that you have in your favor is that they don't have a lot of time to spend on each case so if you walk in well prepared it will work in your favor.

One of the biggest hurdles is the fact that you'll be required to prove the ability to support both yourself and your spouse....for the next 10 years.

Listen to Greydread. This is pretty much on point. Once all is said and done, anywhere between a $3,000 and $5000 retainer is pretty standard if you hire an attorney. More if there are "special circumstances" requiring extra pleadings or court appearances. And that's just to get him here on a visa.

But it's worth it if you want it done right.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
How true.

Nice chunk of change for the lawyer. No wonder they are so hated since they charge exorbitant fees to push papers. I know nothing about this so I can stand corrected but given all the fraud going on lately with lawyers I have grown a distaste for them. Not all of them but too many are thriving on this sinking economy. In the end they cull from the process that which could be used for more productive purposes.

There are also many immigration advocacy groups who can guide one through the process for free but they don't provide the records checks, etc. that legal firms do. I agree that their end shouldn't cost more than $1,000 USD for what they do but after all, they charge what they can get away with. Undercut your competition and you might find yourself under Bar review. If Accura charges $55,000, Lexus is going to charge $55,000.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008

Ditto! Excellent advice.

Oh- and with the finace visa, you are required to get married within 90 days of him arriving, or he goes back home.

Don't forget that YOU will be 100% responsible for your boyfriend when he arrives, since they are not legally allowed to work until they get authorization. (Filing for the work authorization and green card is US$1100+.) Does he have savings? If not, get ready to foot the bill for absolutely everything in his life.

So be prepared for an extra mouth to feed, clothe and entertain. For at least 3 months, which is the quickest he could get the authorization if you guys get married day 1.

The cost is really way beyond the actual cost of the filing, etc. (It's the food, rent, beer, clothing that another person will need in order to survive.)

Has he ever lived in the US? Or another foreign country? Are you prepared to hold his hand through life for the first few months, possibly years? Does he speak English?

I'm not saying this to discourage you, just give you food for thought, from someone who recently brought her novio (now husband!) via the K-1 process.

Now, if you are still going to do this and don't to use a lawyer... I highly recommend the Dominicans to the USA site and Visajourney.com. We used Visajourney.com's guide (which is very thorough) and we avoided paying a lawyer's fee.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I think there is enough info here for the OP to get started...she can post again if there are more specific questions.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.