What to See and Do in Gaspar Hernandez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Recently somebody linked us to a travel article encouraging people to get out and see the Dominican Republic off the beaten path. One of the places mentioned as worth a visit was Gaspar Hernandez. I've been through there many times on the bus, but have never thought of it as a place to spend a day. Nevertheless, I'm interested. If I go to Gaspar Hernandez bu publco or guagua, what should I see and do when I get there?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
get off the bus when you reach Gasper Hernandez and then immediately take the next bus coming back to, sosua. Now you can tell your friends you have been there.
AZB

Reactions: DavidZ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
AZB, that has always been my thought, too. However, since it was mentioned as one of the off-the-beaten_path places to explore, I am interested in finding out what the attractions might be.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a Chinese Pica Pollo there that is quite popular with some gourmands.
Its on the main street.

Someone else posted here about getting crabs (the eating kind) somewhere on the way up the hill going out of town.

I can't imagine a day there

WW

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Went to Patronales in Gaspar Hdz one night last year. Nice park, good music, family atmosphere. But I'm in agreement with AZB, in general Gaspar Hdz is only on my map because I pass through it to get to Playa Grande.

But, if you're hellbent on going, I guess you could:

Go to Patronales
patroanles+miercoles+130.jpg

patroanles+miercoles+047.jpg

Or get a haircut, maybe?

orvi.jpg

Or get religion?

100_9196.JPG

Teach an old dog a new trick?

cachorro_coco.jpg

All that and more at Gasparense.com , La Pagina de Gaspar Hernandez (yeah, I've had this site bookmarked for a couple of years:ermm:)

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for input. I won't be going to Gaspar Hernandez, but I can see where it would be a interesting place for tourists to visit, not on a tour but as an individual, couple, or family.

When my wife and I were new to the country and living in Samana, we went to Nagua several times because we found it fascinating to walk around and seeing life being lived by Dominicans in a non-tourist town. This was 25 years ago and foreigners on the streets of Nagua were few and far between.

Because Gaspar Hernandez is clearly not a tourist town, I think visiting there could be very interesting to North Coast tourists who want to get out and see the "real" Dominican Republic.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A couple of very worthy stops just outside of GH (heading east) The small Cheese factory which makes excellent Queso en (or de) Hoja.....for 100 pesos/lb. and just past there, is a small, much less commercialized version of the Maimon Fish Shacks...about a half dozen small outdoor restaurants serving excellent pescado frito with all the usual sides, and cerveza BIEN fria...unlike Maimon, there's also access to a small beach a hundred meters or so from the highway, where you can eat, drink and dip your tootsies in the ocean all at the same time.

Reactions: Lucille
Status
Not open for further replies.