Education in the DR?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
In the UK we leave school with A levels or GCSE qualifications at 18 years old, that determines which university we can apply for and where we get in for the next 4 years of our lives and leave with some form of a degree, hopefully.

I'm interested in understanding the system here, what someone needs to have to get into University,what they would need to leave school with, is there much competition??? etc.
Say a young man wanted to become a doctor, what would he need to accomplish at school, and to what level, subjects etc. then once at Uni, what would be expected, hours, level, length, is there competition, is there shadow training also etc etc etc.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
In the UK we leave school with A levels or GCSE qualifications at 18 years old, that determines which university we can apply for and where we get in for the next 4 years of our lives and leave with some form of a degree, hopefully.

I'm interested in understanding the system here, what someone needs to have to get into University,what they would need to leave school with, is there much competition??? etc.
Say a young man wanted to become a doctor, what would he need to accomplish at school, and to what level, subjects etc. then once at Uni, what would be expected, hours, level, length, is there competition, is there shadow training also etc etc etc.

Here, it's all about money, that is all that determines where you get in. The grades you get in highschool and some entrance exams determine if you need to take extra classes at the university.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Here, it's all about money, that is all that determines where you get in. The grades you get in highschool and some entrance exams determine if you need to take extra classes at the university.

Can you give me typical scenario of the above example I gave so I have some idea of what is involved in this.

Why I'm asking is there is a young man in my lasses side of the family. From a poor background, didn't finish school, not the brightest button on the suit etc, has no money. Yet he tells me he is going to go back to study, finish school and then head off to university.
My initial reaction was horrible, I told him to get real and it would take forever as he didn't finish school. I was out of order but it is what I think, to be honest he is a bit thick. So telling me he wants go become a doctor was a bit of a shock, lol.
Anyway I have to take it serious as I don't know the education system at all here, the problem is neither does he, yet thinks he knows it all.

I'd like an insight, an example of what he can expect.
Thanks

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Ok, I can see this isn't striking where I wanted it to. Let me make it easier.

How can a poor boy/man with little education make something of himself here. If he has no money to pay for education, but really needs to better himself and isn't content in the Dominican way of living with what he has and accepting it, working for the cable company. How can he get himself into university ?
Or is everyone written off who doesn't have a rich backing to help them. Where to start, is it worth starting?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No offense, but how do you know if this young kid is really not that bright? Is there any way that maybe your Spanish isn't good enough to know the difference? Why would you want to step on somebody's dream anyway? At any rate there are plenty of cheap universities here and they have scholarships believe or not.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I know because I spend a lot of time with my family. He didn't finish school and I know the level of intelligence or basic general knowledge someone needs to enter into university.
No my language is not a problem, I speak fine with my family, I struggle with formal as I have learned from quite rough street talk, colmado, barrio chat, I've stated this before, how I am trying to relearn correct formal, but it isn't easy once I have bad habits.
Read my post again, where am I crushing his dreams, I'm trying to help, hence my thread on how to go about this.
I'm aware there is cheap and free education here, but what is it worth, that is what I'm asking.
It doesn't look like you have the answers so thanks anyway, maybe you could just answer a thread one day without the service!
No offense Intended.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
1. NOT UASD
2. NOT public primarias or secundarias which is a dumping ground for 'botellas' (worn out political appointees who seek any excuse to not go to the classroom, and if, by accident there, to not do anything)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
do they still do A levels and gcse in the uk, I thought they stopped years ago or was it just O levels that disappeared

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know because I spend a lot of time with my family. He didn't finish school and I know the level of intelligence or basic general knowledge someone needs to enter into university.
No my language is not a problem, I speak fine with my family, I struggle with formal as I have learned from quite rough street talk, colmado, barrio chat, I've stated this before, how I am trying to relearn correct formal, but it isn't easy once I have bad habits.
Read my post again, where am I crushing his dreams, I'm trying to help, hence my thread on how to go about this.
I'm aware there is cheap and free education here, but what is it worth, that is what I'm asking.
It doesn't look like you have the answers so thanks anyway, maybe you could just answer a thread one day without the service!
No offense Intended.

Unless you are well connected (which usually takes a lot of money) getting a degree here is no slam dunk to having a good career, even for doctors, so trying to direct him to a certain career may not have the desired results.

If you want to help him you could support him financially. As far as where he needs to go to school to study, I would leave this up to him as his friends where he went or still attends high school at the very least will know the schools available in the area.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Well maybe I can answer your question.
I got a good education in Aruba up to 7th grade. Did 8th grade in a hall in a public school in SD. (No classroom available).
Was selected through entrance exam at the Angeles Custodios for business when it was located next the American Consulate.
Went to the UASD. I had to take 2 semesters at the CU-Colegio Universitario where you are brushed up. If you pass you go to the faculty of your choice.
Because my high school background was business I never had Calculus, Trigonometry, Physics. I learned Algebra in Aruba/7th grade.
In the CU I had to take my brother's high school books to learn on my own all the subjects that I never had in high school. The professors were teaching like everybody has a background on the subject.
I struggled but I did it. No problems after I passed the CU because I was in my waters.
The answer is YES. He can make it if he gets the help. Some people are self learners, some people needs the extra help.
That person can go to back to school and go to college.
In one of my trips to SD one of the neighbors told me that he was inspired by me going to college everyday and seeing other students coming to my house to study on weekends. Today he is an accountant also. He struggled. It took him more than the usual to finish ( I had a good foundation) but he kept saying if she could do it I can also.

Reactions: woofsback

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
do they still do A levels and gcse in the uk, I thought they stopped years ago or was it just O levels that disappeared

I thought it was O levels then we had the 16+ then GSCEs - they still have A levels but they are easier now - even with my elderly and rotting brain I could still pass the A levels.
Kids today! Don't know they're born....:bunny:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
The first step in helping this young man - there are many "free" schools here. Let him go there, help him with books and motoconcho fares. Once he finishes that - IF he finishes then you know he is at least serious about doing the work. Then look into additional opportunities for him to learn something.

My 2 pesos for what it is worth.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Me too - they use a calculator (cellphone) for everything these days.

What is the world coming to?

I'm not so worried about the "intelligence" so much (after all look at what Greenspan let happen) so much as the general lack of respect and kindness people show to one another anymore. It's becoming increasingly common for Westerners to become outright rude and aggressive in normal public reactions. Ask your parents how it was when they were growing up and you'd be surprised. E' pa' tra que vamo.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
in olden days we didnt discuss with children what we thought was best for them- after all the adult should know more unless somethings gone completely wrong

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Intelligence has stayed the same for thousands of years according to the anthropologists.
What is different is the method.
For example, I was given a book of logarithms and was made to use them.
We had to figure stuff out rather than have a machine do it.
These days it means when I calculate something I can check what the spreadsheet says with what I have in my head - to check it.

It is all about transferable skills.

If you can use log' book then you can apply the same skills to a train timetable or an instruction manual. It helps you navigate the world more easily.

For example, my granddad, who never had the chance to go to a good school and had to leave when he 14 years old, could figure out a Yanky on the 10:30 at Chepstow, the 12:30 at Doncaster and the 1:30 at Durham in his head - all in pounds shillings and pence - and figure out the tax.
And do automatically in milliseconds - so could the bookie. That is some hardcore numerical processing.
Try getting a kid on 'sportsbet.com' to do the same - or even figure out how many 9" tiles it would take to cover the bathroom floor.

I have officially turned into an old git.

Sorry, Anastacio - bit of a tangent there.

And JR - yes exactly right. There was no discussion.
The problem is that kids 'know their rights' these days.
The parent is likely to side with their kid as a default position rather than the teacher in a dispute nowadays.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Hi Anastacio
I worked in the university system here for 5 years, mostly with two private universities, O&M and U.T.E.S.A., plus the free public university, USAD. Here is my two cents: Just keep it simple. Tell the guy to go back and finish high school, then you will see what you can do- thats it! All universities in the DR require graduation from high school and that you pass the national exam and thus receive your high school diploma. Thus you can remain encouraging yet non committal until he proves he is serious.

Reactions: Chip

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi Anastacio
I worked in the university system here for 5 years, mostly with two private universities, O&M and U.T.E.S.A., plus the free public university, USAD. Here is my two cents: Just keep it simple. Tell the guy to go back and finish high school, then you will see what you can do- thats it! All universities in the DR require graduation from high school and that you pass the national exam and thus receive your high school diploma. Thus you can remain encouraging yet non committal until he proves he is serious.

I agree, encourage him and let him show that he is serious enough to pass baby steps. If he finishes high school, then help him to the university.