What is the best way?

confused12

Nov 7, 2010
I want to bring my boyfriend from the Dominican Republic for a visit. He has recently proposed, but which is easier to obtain- a tourist visa or a fiance visa? I need to know which would be faster and cheaper. Thanks!

Reactions: mike l

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi and welcome to DR1. It would be helpful if you tell us what country you want your boyfriend to visit.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
You do know that with a fiancee visa he has three months to visit and you either have to get married or go back? I've never actually heard of anyone going back, but it might make other types of visas difficult in thefuture (just a guess). Usually the question is, "should we get married in the DR or try for a fiancee visa". Seems like your question is just for a visit, and immigration frowns on getting one kind of visa with other intentions . . . .

Getting a tourist visa depends on his circumstances, his income, his property etc. Knowing you or being engaged to you may may not matter much.
Nothing is fast, and I doubt the cost is much different in the end.
Patience, patience, and more patience is what is needed either way.
Wishing you the best of luck, and welcome!

(I'm assuming you mean to the US where we live for faster and cheaper :)

Reactions: mike l

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from what i have seen of US Visas

If he has the bucks behind him.. ie a good job, some assests like a car, and ties to the community.. then the 10 year visitor visa is going to be faster and will not require your involvement

If he is a poor boy with no money and no education or marketable skills, it is unlikely that he is not going to get any sort of a visa...

there are people who even have trouble getting their spouses a visa.

Canada may be quite different.. Especially if he is of Haitian descent and speaks French

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's really hard to help someone when we don't know what country they need the info for. The US and the UK both have fianc?e visas but Canada does not. Every country has it's own laws.

I'll say this in case there's a wild chance that someone may not know but it's not the DR that decides who gets a visa it's the country in which one is trying to get into to. Not sure why the OP hasn't replied.