High school

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncochrane3

May 3, 2008
I have become very close to a family in Playa Oeste and want to support the kids through education. they live in a bad area. The son is 15, can't read, and has failed grade 5 two years in a row. The other son is 11, grade 3, also can hardly read. The daughter is 13 and grade 8. They go to Chocolatera school in Puerto Plata.

I have a few questions....

I hear bad things about Chocolatera and when I visited on a trip a few years ago I wasn't too impressed. what are the thoughts on this school?

I have been speaking with a friend of mine who is a missionary in Sosua about evaluating the boys and paying for them to get tutors. The daughter, age 13 grade 8, will be going to high school next year. What options are there for me to help further her education?? Is there a good high school I can suggest... a tutoring program or private school I could pay for her to go to?

This is an incredible Dominican family with a lot of potential, and I know with education they can go far. Being in Canada right now and likely not heading back to the DR for a while, it is hard for me to support them, but I would love ideas!

Thanks so much in advance.

Reactions: mike l
Aug 21, 2007
The best school on the North Coast is the International School of Sosua.

Do these children speak English? That, in itself, will determine where they should be placed.

There are several adequate private schools that give a Dominican education on the North Coast. Whether they are an appropriate placement you- or someone- would need to investigate.

What are your goals for these children, and what are you willing to pay to reach those goals? Also, do the family and children hold the same goals? And where do you and they think, believe, and want these goals to take them?

Once you can answer these questions (not necessarily in public in a forum such as this), the answers could be more appropriate for your wants and needs.

You also need to be sure that the educational goals of the family are the same as what you want and envision for the children.

Only honest discussion, not hopes and promises, can sort out these issues and help you to reach a good decision whereby the money you invest is well spent. And, ultimately, all involved are happy.

Lindsey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The 15 year has failed Grade 5 twice, and the 11 year old is in Grade 3 and can barely read! My question is where do you see the potential? Are the parents able to read and write? I suggest you determine the level of commitment of both the parents and children (the boys) to further their education. By all means get the boys evaluated.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
The best private schools in central POP are colegio san jose and colegio santa rosa de lima. there are teachers at both those schools who offer tutoring....getting them up to speed will be quite a task, though, from the looks of the situation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one kid cannot read and other barely can and they go to school? dear lord. i am sorry to say this but i cannot really see the opportunity for intellectual advancement for those two. they will find it extremely high to keep up with others if they go to a good school. it takes brains to learn fast what one has missed. if they had any brain in the first place they would have already learnt how to read.

that aside i only have one advice: pay for the school directly. never even give money to the family. the temptation to misuse it will be irresistible.

santa rosa de lima is a great school, so i have been told. it is just off the malecon.

ncochrane3

May 3, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I have been discussing this for awhile with the mother, who does have the same desires. The end goal is quite simply for the kids to be educated and to be able to have the means to leave the poverty that they grew up in. Yes- it may be big dreams, but I am a strong believer in pushing kids to the full potential and these kids do have potential. Their potential may not show in their academics, but they are very gifted in other areas.

To answer your questions:

The father died when they were young, but yes- the mother can read and write. The teachers of the boys believe they have some sort of learning disabilities, but from my work with them, I believe they are very capable and just need more one-on-one attention.

The kids do not speak english, but are learning and picking up quite quickly on it.

I am currently working for an NGO in Toronto and do not have a lot of money to send to afford for all three kids to go to private school. I guess I am looking for other options; possibly good NGOs in the area that might be able to offer tutoring services that I could pay for, to have a private tutor.

I am speaking about that with friends in the area, but for this post, am looking more into options for the girl, who will be going to secondary school in the fall. Are there any good weekend english classes or computer classes or anything like that, that I could sign her up for and pay for to help her gain that skill?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is a small private school near Playa Oeste - Colegio San Martin de Porres. The last time I visited there, the cost for a year of attendance was in the neighborhood of $100.00 US.

The school's physical plant needs work, but it is impossible to fault the dedication of the teachers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are plenty of english/german and computer classes in POP. many are cheap. most have good options as far as hours go.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Is San Martin de Porres high school or elementary?

It is an elementary school, but if as you said the boys have failed third and fifth grade, that is what is needed.

Also, I am friendly with the principal of the public school in Barrio Gregorio Luperon. He might be able to recommend a teacher there who would in willing to tutor.

I know that that school (public one) had a Peace Corps volunteer working there several years ago. If there is still one working there, that might be a good option as well.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Private Tutor

I think a private tutor is needed. To make up that much time with a learning disability needs one-on-one help. That's where I'd put my money.

ncochrane3

May 3, 2008
Awesome! I will look into that.

Do you know of any other private schools... any that have websites? I found this one-
Home

It looks incredible but is very pricy.

The girl would be going into high school next year and the boys are in elementary.

MicahMissions

Nov 21, 2010
I would like to fin a teacher or the principal of the school Chocolatera and an email address. My foundation provides support to ailing schools and can potentially assist in establishing a tutoring program for some of these marginal children.

Anyone know a credible contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.