Safety in Central Region

stevegigs

Oct 24, 2007
Every so often I read about a tourist being the victim of a crime. Yesterday there was a report of a business man in JD being murdered. I was considering staying in Jarabacoa from Dec.- May. I have been to the area before and always felt safe Can anyone who lives in this area tell me about the crime rate? Thanx, for your reply. SG

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
To be honest, most of the foreigners I recall reading about being victims of foul play were not tourists falling prey to random acts, but expats who lived there, and in many cases operated a business, such as the example you cited in JD. This creates more time and opportunity to get into situations where enemies are made. A tourist who uses common sense and doesn't act a fool is highly unlikely to be the target of violence.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In Jarabacoa if you are living in town is quite safe. Certainly you have to lock up and take normal security measures. I stay in Barrio Publeo Nuevo when I'm there. This is a mixed area with some Haitians, poor Dominicans, middle class, some commercial, with old and new housing and I've never felt in danger there. There has been in the past some B&E of Commercial business but it's rare. If you are in an isolated house I don't know if it would be safe or not. Do not stay in Barrio Blanco (across the river) as it is know for drugs and vilolence. The rest of town is quite safe.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Curious Bob: "Across the river...." I mean which crossing of the river? The way over tothe Ramirez coffee factory? On the way into town from La Vega? Which of thses two sides is the "bad" one?

RE: The rest of the Central Region (Moca, La Vega, Villa Tapia, Salcedo, Santiago) is pretty much a normal place to live. I have lived in Santiago for ages and ages and seen, really, very little criminal activity. Some snach and grab, sneaky theft stuff. Recently there was a spike in assaults near my house, and now one of them is dead and the other in jail.

Normal precautions now oblige us to lock doors at night, and be aware of our surroundings at all times. No bling. Nothing ostentatious, You know what you are worth and don't have to show it off to anyone...

Besides that a fabulous place that would be a whole lot better if the Aguilas were winning.

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Curious Bob: "Across the river...." I mean which crossing of the river? The way over tothe Ramirez coffee factory? On the way into town from La Vega? Which of thses two sides is the "bad" one?

RE: The rest of the Central Region (Moca, La Vega, Villa Tapia, Salcedo, Santiago) is pretty much a normal place to live. I have lived in Santiago for ages and ages and seen, really, very little criminal activity. Some snach and grab, sneaky theft stuff. Recently there was a spike in assaults near my house, and now one of them is dead and the other in jail.

Normal precautions now oblige us to lock doors at night, and be aware of our surroundings at all times. No bling. Nothing ostentatious, You know what you are worth and don't have to show it off to anyone...

Besides that a fabulous place that would be a whole lot better if the Aguilas were winning.

HB

The area about 300 yards above the Coffee factory.

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Compared to the rest of the country Jarabacoa is still pretty safe but also the world here has turned. Stupid senseless violence happened over the last few years mostly in combination with stupid young kids who can not hold their liquor (and more and more out of their heads with the irresponsible mix with other drugs).
Every Monday there is a resumen on local TV stations tha shows pretty unfiltered what happened between Friday nights and Monday mornings. I think it is very alarming and world's away to the relaxed party scene I experienced 12, 6 or even three years ago.I mean i am not a saint either but i simply don't understand the no-brain behaviour of suicidal idiots performed as an live act every weekend in this town anymore.

Okay--La Vega is worse...

It is sad but on Sunday afternoons the family scene going for a slice of pizza and some ice cream at one of the nearby parlors like it was an established thing to do some years ago at the Parque Duarte has vanished.

The better crowd on Saturday and Sunday evenings who go out for some fun can be found further north in the direction of the police station between Venue Bar, Entre Amigos, the Bar-Liquor Store Place where Tony used to be and Antillas II.

What has become of the Parque Duarte is a shame and deserves a quick emergency plan.

Last edited:

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Curious Bob: "Across the river...." I mean which crossing of the river? The way over tothe Ramirez coffee factory? On the way into town from La Vega? Which of thoses two sides is the "bad" one?

Ages ago-before the river on the right handed side the oldest whorehouse in town could be found. When everything else was closed we gringos at that time Nottingham-Patrick, Policeman Paul, Lawyer Raymond, Bum Holger, GDR Raik among others went there for a drink. I believe they had the ugliest prostitutes in the whole country but they were always respectful to us and we could have a beer without getting ripped off.

There was never a sense of danger and the mentally disturbed moochers and beggars were always held at bay from Mama San.

I believe the place still exists. If anybody would write a small review about it I really would appreciate it. Unfortunately my dominican wife for eleven years now would not even accept a quick beer stop for me facing the threat of total social damnation and eternal hell-fire. Hey, what other place can do that for me ?

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Okay--La Vega is worse...

It is sad but on Sunday afternoons the family scene going for a slice of pizza and some ice cream at one of the nearby parlors like it was an established thing to do some years ago at the Parque Duarte has vanished.

The better crowd on Saturday and Sunday evenings who go out for some fun can be found further north in the direction of the police station between Venue Bar, Entre Amigos, the Bar-Liquor Store Place where Tony used to be and Antillas II.

What has become of the Parque Duarte is a shame and deserves a quick emergency plan.

So true... La Vega is far from safe.Its alarming to see the drastic changes happening here in such a short period.The biggest problem is the corrupt police and their ties to the local drug trade.Back in august it got so bad,many were transfered to other areas.Stay away from towns like ,la mara,el higuero,and palmarito.

Reactions: TimH