Protection from malware/spyware/viruses...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
For those of you who don't use Macs-

Now that I had to reinstall my Windows 7 OS due to some infection that compromised my internet and Windows Firewall access, I would like to ask those who know how people like me can better protect our computers going forward.

I did a search and found that Malwarebytes, Iobit360 and Superantispyware have been recommended. What about an active anti-virus program that will warn me when a certain internet site/download file is suspect?

Is Eset Anti-virus a good anti-virus program to go with?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was using Norton Internet Security but someone said the free version of AVG was better so I switched. Works so far so good and it even found a trojan.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I use an old operating system so I don't need a powerful anti virus like AZB, virus writers don't waste their time trying infect a 2000 windows OS.:surprised
I don't have any anti virus program installed in my computer.

JJ

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a Mac laptop, but 2 PC desktops, so [after PC being hacked and spending almost $2000 to get my data back] I purchased a SonicWall firewall. It's installed between the modem and the router. Pricey but peace-of-mind is great.

AE

bostonsteve

Oct 24, 2010
look into kapersky anti virus. with the free stuff like avg-well, you get what you pay for. it is very important to scan your pc as often as possible-even daily

bostonsteve

Oct 24, 2010
also, consider using an open source os like ubuntu. i use it to surf the net, no one bothers to infect it. downside-it takes HOURS to download and install. But it is free,and safe.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Virus protection

I hace used Free AVG for several years and have never had a problem.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
We all have our favorites. I'm a Mac user but run several instances of Windows in a virtualized environment for my work. I've used avast! Free Antivirus for years on my Windows computers and have never suffered from any type of virus/malware.

I've never understood why one should pay when there are free solutions.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was using Norton Internet Security but someone said the free version of AVG was better so I switched. Works so far so good and it even found a trojan.

s44552.gif

Are you sure you need an "AntiVirus" and not a "Detective"?

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Vmware is great for running windows and programs in a virtual enviroment.Big fan of ubuntu,but for the non-geeky I suggest using firefox vs IE.Malwarebytes will eliminate many headaches,seems like malware is the preffered method of annoyance nowadays.Invest in an external hardrive, encrypt sensitive info,back up periodically and unplug it after every use.Do not gain a false sense of security .The best software will not protect you from someone getting your info,if they want it bad enough they will get it.That includes apple products, most hackers dont own macs and is why they are less prone to attacks(they do own Iphones though).The newer and more popular the software the more likely it will be attacked(Windows,Norton,Adobe, and IE to name a few)I make it a habit to stay away from mainstream(you are the hackers fanbase).The hacker is trying to maximize damage and make a name for themselves.You make your computer easier to hack when you use programs like instant messenger or p2p downloading(Do you leave your front door unlocked too?)well maybe in Canada.Use the always uncommon "common sense".The best thing to do is make it more difficult,so they move on to the next victim.(Probably bachata...just kidding).seriously though windows is windows and even if the hackers taylor their viruses to the latest and greatest OS.A 5 year old can google a hack for windows 2000.At a minimum get yourself a free antivirus program like AVG.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I bought AVG 9.0 Pro for all our machines. Fine product and has more functionality than a free anti-virus. It's well beyond anti-virus.

My computers and data are very important so I don't mind buying "insurance" for them.

"Free" is fine, but one gets what one pays for. I don't give myself haircuts either.

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
"Free" is fine, but one gets what one pays for. I don't give myself haircuts either.lol.true...You can always let it grow out.Having no protection and just hoping a hacker wont care about older versions of windows is just nieve.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Anti-virus

I used Norton 360 for two years and have not had one problem. You get what you pay for.

S