Orange Internet 36,000 pesos... Help!

Pavlov

Sep 4, 2009
Help!

I have a friend who had trouble with her internet in Boca Chica. So she got onto Orange. It cost her quite a bit to sign up but then because she doesn't have a DR documents (she's Haitian) they said they would allow her unlimited service but then made it complicated so she could not get the unlimited service. She used up her alloted time almost right away.

After a week she just ditched the service. She brought the USB thing back but they told her to keep it as she had paid a big fee to sign up. She had paid a lot to sign up and also paid for what she used and then never used the service and switched to another provider.

So now many months later they claim she owes them 36,000 pesos for internet she never used because she apparently had a contract which was never cancelled. When she returned the stuff none of this was explained to her and she was under the impression it was cancelled.

She is obviously not going to pay this but she does not want to have her credit ruined with this. Or have the company grab the money in her bank account. Orange has already cut off her pay as you go phone due to this.

I'd like to help her get Orange to officially annul the debt.

What can be done?

(My apologies if this is in the wrong section or if a similar question has already been asked, mods feel free to transfer it to another section if required).

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
If she signed a 12 month service contract for RD$3,000.00 per month, then weather it is used or not she owes for the 12 month period she agreed to in the first place. There is really no canceling a contract unless the service provider fails to meet service as per contract, and you followup through INDOTEL, then and only then can you get out of the contract, if the service provider cannot make the service promised correct as agreed.

E

engineerfg

What remedy do companies such as Orange or Tricom have against consumers if we walk away from contracts?

ie. If I've signed a 1 year deal and I have to leave the city after 6, what happens if I just stop paying and ya it's over?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Two ways to do this..

STORM the central office of ORANGE in SD... bring lots of expats and lots of Haitians and

Lunch

or

walk away and do not worry about a credit rating.... the interest rates here are terrible....

E

engineerfg

you make it harder for any ex pat to get service at the company you are dealing with without a fiador

after living here for 8 months, caring for other people's problems has been slowly removed from my constitution. It's a slow process of acclimatization, and it's working.

Reactions: waytogo

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
What remedy do companies such as Orange or Tricom have against consumers if we walk away from contracts?

ie. If I've signed a 1 year deal and I have to leave the city after 6, what happens if I just stop paying and ya it's over?

goes to the credit reporting agency just like any other semi advanced nation.

If you are an ex pat, shame on you making it even more difficult for the newbies coming in.....not to mention just show that there are bum expats as well.

When I came here 10 years ago, it was difficult to get telephne, cable, electricity without a dominican co-signer, which mostly I attributed to expats signing contracts and skiping out after not making it here or havinbg to move on for some other reason.

Here all service contracts for a period of time, are just that, you sign up for 12 monthes service you owe 12 months of payments, exception being the "luz", usually a deposit is required and contract can be cancelled anytime upon payment of final bill.

g'luck

no excuses!

Reactions: woofsback

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
You sign up for "unlimited" internet service with Orange you are bound to 12 months minimum as stated in the contract.
That's it !. She has to pay or you could/should pay for her.
That's the bottom line.

Pavlov

Sep 4, 2009
She didn't get the unlimited. She was told that she could get it. But then they asked her for a cedula. She never said she had one. They said they could maybe give her it anyway. She returned and then they told her no. It's strange that they'd ask for this, as the other companies do not require such a thing. So she returned and was verbally assured by the clerk that her account was cancelled. She had paid quite a bit in up front fees as well. So as far as I'm concerned, not only should she not have to pay the 36,000 she should technically have some of those fees returned.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
the error is "verbally assured by the clerk" that is where the problem is. no paperwork, no nothing.

E

engineerfg

goes to the credit reporting agency just like any other semi advanced nation.

If you are an ex pat, shame on you making it even more difficult for the newbies coming in.....not to mention just show that there are bum expats as well.

When I came here 10 years ago, it was difficult to get telephne, cable, electricity without a dominican co-signer, which mostly I attributed to expats signing contracts and skiping out after not making it here or havinbg to move on for some other reason.

Here all service contracts for a period of time, are just that, you sign up for 12 monthes service you owe 12 months of payments, exception being the "luz", usually a deposit is required and contract can be cancelled anytime upon payment of final bill.

g'luck

no excuses!

How very valiant and 'Western' of you... But please let me know:

1. do you get Western style customer service from these companies when something goes wrong? Or does anybody pick up the phone or ever call you back when you try to complain or ask for help?

2. do the sales reps at these companies give you Western style assurances in writing? Or do they try to snow job you (see the post above about being given verbal assurances that the account is terminated).

3. do the services that you purchase perform to their standards, and if not, are you granted Western style concessions? Or do you end up paying for 'unlimited' internet with limits, or 'high speed internet' with a low speed? etc.

You're not in the West. It's the Wild Wild West, and if the big companies here are going to rob you every chance they get, why would you let your Western liberal guilt get in the way of kicking back from time to time?

In my case, I purchased the 'super duper package of tv/internet/phone' from Claro. They forced me to sign an 18month contract no other options. It was part of the super duper amazing bundle.

1. the price - was not as advertised.

2. half the features still dont' work - after 4 months of calling and complaining, nobody has shown up to fix anything

At first, I was a fool like you - fearing - oh I"ve signed a contract, gotta live by it. But then the coin dropped. **** it, I'm gonna get tricom, and just walk away from claro. They have none of my real information, so what's the risk? I ruin my 'credit score' in a banana republic? OH well, no banana financing for me!