Searching for Employment

mqevans

Jun 23, 2009
I am looking for employment in the DR. I am an architect/urban designer looking to work with a hotel chain, real estate developer or construction company. I have worked in the U.S., China, Mexico and the Turks and Caicos Islands. I realize this is probably a rather difficult request because of the abundance of Dominican architects, but never the less this is my hope. U.S. born and educated, Bachelors from the Ohio State University and Masters from Pratt. I have also served as an adjunct professor of architecture for several colleges and universites.

Reactions: waytogo

baby bori

May 18, 2010
I am looking for employment in the DR. I am an architect/urban designer looking to work with a hotel chain, real estate developer or construction company. I have worked in the U.S., China, Mexico and the Turks and Caicos Islands. I realize this is probably a rather difficult request because of the abundance of Dominican architects, but never the less this is my hope. U.S. born and educated, Bachelors from the Ohio State University and Masters from Pratt. I have also served as an adjunct professor of architecture for several colleges and universites.

Why why why do this to yourself??? Why all the stress and headache to look for employment in the DR?? You do realize this is a developing third world type of country meaning your salary will be substantially lower than in the USA, Europe, or Canada. Get that island fantasy easy life out of your mind unless you came from or your family are wealthy or could assist you economically. Is it the girls?? Did you find a girl in the DR??? Geez man!!!!

mqevans

Jun 23, 2009
In answer to your question my family is of Domincan heritage and I do have a dominican girlfriend neither one of us currently work in the DR. I have made more than a few trips to the DR and so I do not have a starry eyed perception of life in the DR by any means. But what I do think is that in my profession countries like the DR allow me alot more opportunity for exploration and experimentation in the same way that historically significant architects have developed in India and developing eastern block countries.

Last edited:

tballerina

Aug 20, 2009
The Ugly American mentality

Posts like the one "you realize this is a third world developing country"is why I come to this forum less and less. They remember of the mentality of the people in a book that I read long time ago, "The Ugly American." I know a lot of people, professionals who had left life in the Us and Europe to live in that "developing third world country" and are happy so I wish good luck to all those looking for employment in DR. Sometimes opening your own business works out well. The employment picture is bleak here in the US also so DO NOT listen to the naysayers and push forward.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
But what I do think is that in my profession countries like the DR allow me alot more opportunity for exploration and experimentation in the same way that historically significant architects have developed in India and developing eastern block countries.

As an Architect in Canada I agree with this 100%.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to make your own opportunities, if they're not knocking down your door. We had a meeting this morning with the owner of a major shopping complex in our city; he drove 100 miles to meet us and decide if our business would fit-in with his other tenants. Although we could not afford the dollar-per-square-foot cost, he offered to help out if he could have the right to franchise our business model and open similar sites on other properties he owns. Now the ball is in our court and have a big decision to make."Opportunity rides in the winds of adversity":D