Law on Citizenship - "ius sanguinis" or "jus soli"

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
Does anybody know what principle applies in the RD Law on Citizenship? The case is as follows: The parents do not have DR cedula and the baby was born in the DR. Which citizen is the baby and what should be the procedure for obtaining DR citizenship if parents? nationality allows dual citizenship?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Are the parents in the DR legally? I believe jus soli applies for children of people who entered the DR legally.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Although I think there might have been some change in Art 18 of the Constitution, I think they still pretty much adhere to this:
Anyone born in the DR is Dominican. EXCEPT,
a)Children of diplomats
b)Children of person in the DR illegally
c)Children of persons in transit

There is a part that says that "persons in transit as defined by Dominican laws" which could be tricky. Anyway, lots of these people can opt for the citizenship of their choice when they are of age.

I think.

HB

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Art. 18.3 of the new Constitution states that person is a Dominican if:

"born in the Dominican Republic, except the sons and daughters of members of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, and of foreigners that are in transit or who reside illegally in Dominican territory. A person in transit is any foreign person defined as such by the laws of the Dominican Republic"