Stateless in the Dominican Republic (Videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
YouTube - Stateless in the Dominican Republic: Javier, Ruth, & Estarlin

YouTube - Stateless in the Dominican Republic: Maria and Sonia

YouTube - Stateless in the Dominican Republic: Dionisio

These are a few thought-provoking videos I came across a while back. This is easily a multi-layered issue, but my question is -

If the PRD gets back in the drivers seat, do you think there will be any efforts made to help people in this position???
Will there be any reasonable thinking that will allow these people to acquire what is owed to them as citizens??
And if not, what does that say about the governments interests in the coming generations??

Mar 1, 2009
I don't even need to watch the video's on youtube. These people have a state, it's called Haiti and they are welcome to go and return to it, to help and contribute to it's future greatness. So you see the solution is very very simple.
A two hour drive from Santo Domingo to the border is extremely easy, there country will welcome them with open arms. Stop being victims Haitians.

Reactions: Frank the Tank

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I don't even need to watch the video's on youtube. These people have a state, it's called Haiti and they are welcome to go and return to it, to help and contribute to it's future greatness. So you see the solution is very very simple.
A two hour drive from Santo Domingo to the border is extremely easy, there country will welcome them with open arms. Stop being victims Haitians.

You don't need to watch the videos for your own health, true. But I would recommended doing so before you comment concerning it, as it (your comment) comes off well...ignorant. Furthermore, you also did not answer or address the questions that were asked. However, if you had cared to watch the video you would see that it is in reference to DOMINICANS by birth and not just Haitians who decided to come across the border, pero obviamente tu lengua no tiene pelo. They do have a state, y segun las leyes y los derechos humanos, its called the Dominican Republic. Since the 'solution is very very simple' why don't you explain that to Javier, Ruth and Estarlin. I'm sure they will find much comfort in your words, after all its just a two hour drive right?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Yea man, that isnt fair. A dude called Lando in Porto Rico could say the same thing about the Dominicans that wash up in Mayaguez and San German too in crappy yolas. Or the people who think they can marry their way out of this country. "Why dont they go back home and fix it there? Why do they wanna come here and mess it up?" But the difference is that children who are borne from Dominicans in Porto Rico are received as Americans(native Porto Ricans). This thing where you exist without a state or a modified(pink) birth certificate doesnt benefit anyone especially as an adult.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com

There are Dominicans all over the world, US, Canada, Europe just to name some, should they also all come back to their country?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Yea man, that isnt fair. A dude called Lando in Porto Rico could say the same thing about the Dominicans that wash up in Mayaguez and San German too in crappy yolas. Or the people who think they can marry their way out of this country. "Why dont they go back home and fix it there? Why do they wanna come here and mess it up?" But the difference is that children who are borne from Dominicans in Porto Rico are received as Americans(native Porto Ricans). This thing where you exist without a state or a modified(pink) birth certificate doesnt benefit anyone especially as an adult.

Lobby the U.S. government to change their nationality laws. It's not the illegal Dominicans fault that their kids received citizenship upon birth in U.S. soil.

Last time I checked they can't vote.

Mar 1, 2009
The solution is simple.

I am not ignorant, nor am I unfair. My parents came to the US legally, they filled out all the papers, waited their turn and came to become productive, hard working citizens. We then went back to DR for 6 years and worked hard to make DR a better place too. My other relatives have all waited and immigrated legally, waiting 10-15 years for their papers as well.

I have never hopped on a Yola, I have never advocated for anyone to enter illegally into any country. When I lived as an ignorant student in Europe, I wished to stay longer, permanently. I was presented with the opportunity to just marry a European national and remain there. Since I did not love the girl and the whole thing went against my principles. I did not accept nor did I view that favorably in any way.

All those Dominicans that are illegal have broken the law. Thus let the law be carried out. If my family did not take any short cuts, I view those who have done so in a very, very dim light.

Don't try to twist my words. The European countries are introducing policies to reduce immigration. Therefore the DR can and must do so as well. Therefore according to Dominican laws, which are in conformity with international regulations as well. These errant Haitians are not stateless, they have a homeland, they have a place to go where to be productive and FULLY contribute their talents and resourcefullness as a poster on this forum likes to usually highlight.
A place where they will be LEGAL as opposed to ILLEGAL.

I write this not for my HEALTH, I could be in the gym or at the beach right now, however I do write this because a foreigner who is ignorant of the issues and would like to know both sides of the debate from an informed person.

Also, because their are Dominican's out there who can't find the words to say what has to be said and express themselves fully. I have done that now I will move on. Haitians (plus any other foriegn national) if you immigrate legally and don't cross over the border in violation of the laws you are welcome. Apply at our nearest embassy where our kind and helpful staff will be more than happy to help you. If not please stay where you are and contribute to the place you are currently at.

Finis

Reactions: AlterEgo

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This has of course been discussed here a million times. I didn't watch the videos, but I'm sure what Bernard is referring to are children born in The DR of Haitian descent. This is a very complex issue that's not going to be solved any time soon, but as much as I commiserate with these Haitians The DR does have a right to carry out its laws as it sees fit and as of now people born in The DR whose parents aren't Dominicans don't get automatic citizenship. Other countries have different policies and that's fine, but it is what it is right now.

The right thing to do would be to give these kids citizenship, teach them the language so they grow up as Dominicans, but since we have such porous borders then you'll be opening yourself up for a much larger issue and no government is going to risk the potential public backlash.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Again, its good to watch the video it helps orient ones point better. Its really about examples of Dominicans who are either of Haitian descent and/or who have a Haitian last name and thus they are presented with certain problems. Its not just Haitians who come here and have children on Dominican soil and then try to get full rights as a Dominican citizen, but rather people who are ESTABLISHED here for years, with jobs, businesses, etc, but because of their name they are denied what should be theirs. @ Suarezn - you are right it IS a VERY complex issue. But I think with the current election talk coming up it is an issue that is well worth discussing. Because it is a tampering with the Constitution, not just a denial of services to some Haitians.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In one video (the only one I watched), the mother is Dominican but the father is of Haitian descent although he was born in the DR, yet they cannot register their son.
Why does this child should go back to Haiti ?

Are you sure this is in compliance with International laws ?

Do you advocate that all Dominican children born in the US of illegal parents should also go back to the DR ?

I agree this is a complex issue and the DR is a sovereign country, but some cases presented seem a bit unfair to me.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Again, its good to watch the video it helps orient ones point better. Its really about examples of Dominicans who are either of Haitian descent and/or who have a Haitian last name and thus they are presented with certain problems. Its not just Haitians who come here and have children on Dominican soil and then try to get full rights as a Dominican citizen, but rather people who are ESTABLISHED here for years, with jobs, businesses, etc, but because of their name they are denied what should be theirs. @ Suarezn - you are right it IS a VERY complex issue. But I think with the current election talk coming up it is an issue that is well worth discussing. Because it is a tampering with the Constitution, not just a denial of services to some Haitians.

They don't look at your name like you are saying here. When you go to apply for a birth certificate, they look at the records they have about your parents.

My birth certificate has my mother and father C?dula ID number, so when I to apply for my birth certificate, they check to see if my parents had a C?dula when they registered me.

But if you go to apply for a birth certificate, even though, they had issued you one before (issued by mistake), and they see that your parents didn't have a C?dula when you were born, that mean that you were not a Dominican citizen a birth, hence, the denial of a birth certificate.

Many country like UK and others in the EU issues citizen documents by mistake and later revoke the citizenship, because it was issued in error.

May 29, 2006
Full citizenship is granted to anyone born in the US because of the 14th amendment. But it is optional for people whose parents are not US citizens. Depending on the parents' nationality, a child can also have dual citizenship.

Problems like this are not limited to the DR. Children of foreign descent in Japan are not given full citizenship. To be Japanese, you have to be ethnically Japanese.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
In one video (the only one I watched), the mother is Dominican but the father is of Haitian descent although he was born in the DR, yet they cannot register their son.
Why does this child should go back to Haiti ?

Are you sure this is in compliance with International laws ?

Do you advocate that all Dominican children born in the US of illegal parents should also go back to the DR ?

I agree this is a complex issue and the DR is a sovereign country, but some cases presented seem a bit unfair to me.

Go and watch the video again. The mother (a legitimately Dominican citizen) can register the boy as a Dominican citizen, but the father cannot, because he is an illegal immigrant.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Go and watch the video again. The mother (a legitimately Dominican citizen) can register the boy as a Dominican citizen, but the father cannot, because he is an illegal immigrant.

The father is not an illegal immigrant since he was born in the DR but from Haitian descent.
It is not specified if he is a Dominican citizen, but the video make it seems like the problem is the father last name .

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
The father is not an illegal immigrant since he was born in the DR but from Haitian descent.
It is not specified if he is a Dominican citizen, but the video make it seems like the problem is the father last name .

Exactly, which is why it is good to watch the video first. It is not specified, but to me it seems like he was ALSO born in the Dominican Republic, but perhaps his parents or one of them are Haitian. I think that is the implication because that is what happened with the other guy, the Lawyer. He attempted to show the papers of HIS parents to show that they were LEGALLY citizens but they did not even want to see his papers according to what he said.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
They don't look at your name like you are saying here. When you go to apply for a birth certificate, they look at the records they have about your parents.

My birth certificate has my mother and father C?dula ID number, so when I to apply for my birth certificate, they check to see if my parents had a C?dula when they registered me.

But if you go to apply for a birth certificate, even though, they had issued you one before (issued by mistake), and they see that your parents didn't have a C?dula when you were born, that mean that you were not a Dominican citizen a birth, hence, the denial of a birth certificate.

Many country like UK and others in the EU issues citizen documents by mistake and later revoke the citizenship, because it was issued in error.

That should be the case, but apparently it is not taking place as it should. Watch the last video - Dionisio. Apparently his parents DID have documentation as legal citizens (as such is clearly implied) but it was his NAME (and maybe even his complexion) that caused him not to be able to get his birth certificate. And in this particular case, this guy did not just get there yesterday, he has an established life there, a job, a business, a Wife, a family, land etc etc etc. People say 'oh just go back to Haiti' as if that just something easy to do. As he vehemently says in the video, he is NOT Haitian, he is Dominican.....his home IS the Dominican Republic. Why WOULD he go back to Haiti? he was never there to begin with. And we are not talking about someone just being a burden, this Man is productive, an asset to his Country, but because of something so trivial and unjust - his name, he is deprived of his rights. It would not matter if he was Dominican, Haitian, Japanese, or Jewish, wrong is wrong. And think the Constitution should not just be applied and tweaked randomly like that, because that would highlight another potentially grave problem.

Mar 1, 2009
If the person is LEGAL and is productive, I don't have a problem, no one has a problem with that. The problem is the amount of people arriving and the disruption caused by the one's who aren't LEGAL. The drain on local resources, health, education, subsidies for business, crime. The young girl from Haiti who is in University now echando pa'lante, has taken away from a young Dominicana who won't be able to enjoy the services her taxes and country's wealth has provided for her. The child who has been brought over to beg and is banging on my window, the additional crime being encountered by the new illegal migrants are draining an already feeble police presence. The cooking out in the open, the vandalising, the overwhelming of a country is not productive, it is destructive. If you are legal, then the law is on your side, if you are not you are aiding and abetting in the slide to to disorder and this is truth to power.

What get's me is then the accusations and recriminations Dominicans suffer from these same so-called Dominican's of Haitian descent. If life was so bad in DR they wouldn't fight so hard to stay here. They wouldn't fight so hard to make it and come here.

Let's appreciate what the Dominican Republic has done FOR Haiti so far. Not even the government of Haiti has done for their OWN people what the DR has done for Haitians in the last couple of months. So show some thanks on this Thanksgiving day Haitians and when you see a Dominican walking by you, say thank you, instead of calling him a racist, unfair or ignorant. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.