cuba libre

J

james

can anyone tell me the correct way to make cuba libres I really liked them but can't seem to duplicate them is there a certain type of rum used I know its only rum and coke with a slice of lime but like I said I can't seem to get it the same.

thanks in advance james

H

hlywud

1.5 ounces of Barcelo Anejo or Barcelo 151, coke and a twist of lime. Should be no problems to duplicate, but a must to use Dominican rum. Doesnt taste the same with domestic American or Canadian rum.
Happy sipping.

R

Ronald McIntosh

1.5 oz. Barcelo dorado or Brugal anejo in a glass with ice. Fill with Coca Cola. twist of lime. I wouldnt waste the good stuff on a mixed drink rather save it for sipping. 151 is too strong for anything

A

arf

I don't measure the durn thing. a couple of fingers of rum over ice, coke, and at least one whole dominican lime squeezed into it. THey get stronger as the night goes on.

E

Elaine

I had a dominican friend who used to say to the bartender everytime he was asking for a cuba libre ?Quiero un cuba libre, pero cuidado, quiero ron con coca-cola y no coca-cola con ron?!!!

Have a nice day!!!

J

Jim D

Re: Personally, I use Brugal rum only!

James,

Perhaps the problem is not the type of rum or lime, you are just not drinking the Cuba Libra in the right country. You are probably missing the Dominican Republic atmosphere, weather and tropical breezes. Time to get back on an airplane and visit that wonderful country and savor a Cuba Libra in the correct climate ;>).

J

james

Re: Personally, I use Brugal rum only!

soon, I can't wait, but I must work to make the money to go.

W

WBDominicana

James, until you can return...

find yourself some "key" limes...they are as close as you can get to the RD limon here in the north. If your Dominican rum is all gone, (sounds of tears falling!) get some Appleton's, which seems to be available in most larger US & Canada cities. Jim D. is correct, though...it isn't what's in the glass, it's what's around it!
Regards,
WBD

E

ehnony

In most latin countries this drink is known as the "Mentira" because Cuba never has been free.

I ran into a nice variation in Caracas. To the rum, coke and ice mixture add a generous dash of gin and of lime juice. Then add a few drops of Angastora bitters. Stir and garnish with a slice of lime.

J

james

thanks for all of the advise, I will try them,while I dream of days to come. Thanks again.

C

chiasere

cuba no es libre

if you ordered this drink by name in cuba, the bartender would turn his back and laugh at you. cuba is not free. yeah, i know it's just the name of a drink, but in the days of being p.c., let's show some respect for the cubans. in many countries you can simply call it a "cuba" or just "ron con cola". it's best made with Havana Club's "Carta Blanca" 3 year aged rum- light and dry. The "carta de oro" and "anejo" are best served on the rocks.
my friend's would give me grief when i made my favorite rum drink, until they tried it. now they're hooked...captain morgan's and squirt (not 7 up or sprite). I'm drinking one now.

B

Bill-Ont

Re: cuba libre (chiasere)

I dont know what you are talking about. Just got back from Varadero on Monday, and in the places I visited, Cuba Libre is still a common drink,without any bartender turning his back or laughing, as you mentioned:; and without intention to any political implications. Furthermore - in most other countries, it is an accepted phrase, because they know what you want,for Rum and Cola.
Bill

C

chiasere

Re: cuba no es libre

o.k.- so i was practicing my hyperbole a little. i will tell you something, though. varadero is probably the least cuban city you can visit in cuba. there's nothing there but tourists. the point i was making is that cubans do not call the drink a cuba libre, it's an oxymoron. yes, you'll see it on the menu in a hotel or tourist bar, but it's the biggest joke for the people who live there, they think it's hysterical that tourists call the drink by that name. i spend 6 months a year in cuba and have gotten to know the people pretty well. trust me.

J

james

I asked a simple question about the proper way to mix a drink that I enjoyed, there was no political slurs intended, but as we are on the subject, the lad that first mixed one for me said something to the affect of, in support for Cuba being free.I'm all for that.But after having said all that, I still just like the drink.

C

chiasere

yes james, i understand. i was just putting in my 2 cents. sometimes conversation evolves.