what are the pro's and con's of having dual citizenship?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Someone also mentioned in another post somewhere that if you get into legal trouble in the DR, the US will not help you.

Reactions: mike l

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Someone also mentioned in another post somewhere that if you get into legal trouble in the DR, the US will not help you.

I have dual citizenship. Some time ago I killed a robber at my house with a legal gun. I got bail because of my Dominican Citizenship. Without it there is an excellent chance I am in Jail until they investigate what happened. It was eventually ruled self defense, but not for six months.

As for the US helping in a legal situation, good luck with that one. My lawyer told me not to even talk to the US Embassy, as they give more grief than help.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right, Sky,
a Foreigner would need to Pay a High Deposit to stay off Jail for the Time the Investigations run, and it is usual that such lasts 6 Months.
an other Advantage is the Way/requirements when asking for a Bank Loan as a DR Citizen.

Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
right, Sky,
a Foreigner would need to Pay a High Deposit to stay off Jail for the Time the Investigations run, and it is usual that such lasts 6 Months.
an other Advantage is the Way/requirements when asking for a Bank Loan as a DR Citizen.

Mike

I never borrowed any money so I can't comment on that, but how can it hurt? Also to open a business it is MUCH easier.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Those benefits can come with residencia as well - bank loans and opening a business are fairly straightforward with residencia.

As for bail with citizenship - not tried that yet. don't plan to.....;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing with Citizenship compared to Residency is that you never have to renew anything, except your Passport of course. Also Governments have been know to change the "rules" if they like. Once you are a Citizen they can never take it from you.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Those benefits can come with residencia as well - bank loans and opening a business are fairly straightforward with residencia.

As for bail with citizenship - not tried that yet. don't plan to.....;)

did You get a Bank Loan with Residency WITHOUT a DOMINICAN Guaranter?
I ask out of Curiosity, because not so long ago such been impossible, as a Foreigner You Needed a Dominican to sign the papers, Residency did not make a difference on the Matter.

Mike

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Yes I did, got a dominican bank credit card, dominican bank car loan too. No guarantor!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right, credit cards and Car Loans are no prob and do not require a Guarantor.
why I asked been for an ocurance around 5 Years back.
A Buddy of Mine and Myself, both longtime perment residents with the appropriate papers and both Owners of Dominican Companies, wanted a Bank Loan for the Purchase of a Offshore Yacht which We wanted to purchase in Miami/Fl.
due Credit Card Movement on only one CC of over 150KUS$ per Year We've been told that the requested Credit is absolutely No Problem, BUT WE are Both Foreigners, even permanent residents, so We need a Dominican Citizen Valid for the Loan-Volume requested to sign as our Guarantor.
again, that been in February 2005 on BHD Bank where both of us run independently of each others our Business and private accounts.

always interested to know about Changes on such Rules/Behaviors/Handlings,
also interested to know If such is handled different at different Banks as their own Intern Policy or such.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
So pros... kill people and get away with it, open a business, and get a bank loan. hmmm that explains so much

is there any Meaning or sense in Your First Post Statement, Kate??
Who do You know Who Kills People and get's away with it due His/Her Nationality??
to open a Company You do Not need to be a Dominican Resident.

Mike

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Don't forget you have the right to vote and heaven forbid - run for political office.............;););)

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Mike fisher, I am sure kate is refering to prior post with intruder. People are known to get their own justice in D.R. so.. in casos de sangre a relative or associate may come back for a pay back.
But... who was that said, I never killed any one that did not deserved it.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Don't forget you have the right to vote and heaven forbid - run for political office.............;););)

""Mike for President!!!"",

now I start to Love that 4th Passport Option, he he.
* Free Rum and Juice for All Fishermen
* 50% Subsidies on Basic Alimentations such as Presidente-Beers
* All Corrupt Gubmint/Police/Armed Forces Members and All involved in Narcotraffics need firstly to Clean Up our Beaches for a 1 Year Period before their Trials start

The MF-for Presi Party starts subsciptions for New Party Members NOW.

www.MFforPresi.com

Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
did You get a Bank Loan with Residency WITHOUT a DOMINICAN Guaranter?
I ask out of Curiosity, because not so long ago such been impossible, as a Foreigner You Needed a Dominican to sign the papers, Residency did not make a difference on the Matter.

Mike

Mike,

If you had Citizenship you would not need a Dominican to vouch for you because you WOULD be a Dominican.

Just received by email
To whom it may concern,

Thank you for your interest in our services. We would be more than happy to assist you. Dual citizenship has number of merits. A citizen with a dual passport has many financial advantages. He can travel to both countries because of a dual passport, which certainly takes much less time to process than the normal visa and passport. This is of utmost importance to business heads/business people wishing to invest in the real estate market of that country. In other words, they can buy property easily. This investment can be done in both countries and so it opens a two way path for their income!

A dual citizen is likely to be bilingual, so he can be an asset to a firm that has its business ventures spread globally. Cultural exchange of ideas, intermingling of new people, languages and more opportunities for people to show their talents are some other advantages a dual citizen can have.

The demerits of dual citizenship must be viewed relative to the merits, for only then can one weigh both sides equally. Legal transactions, misconduct and illegal works are some of the crimes for which different countries have their own set of laws. If a dual citizen is found to be involved in such crimes, it's uncertain with which laws he should be persecuted. This legal uncertainty may be magnified in serious crimes and frauds committed by a dual citizen.

Another issue with dual citizens is whether the state should grant them equal rights in the issues concerning political and social cases of the country. It's a fact that people don't feel a bonding for a particular community, unless they are allowed to freely and constructively participate in issues related to the country.

Dual citizenship is an on-going debate and people, states and immigration law makers, all have different views. Still, it exists and is very successful in many countries, especially the liberalized economies.

Last edited by a moderator: