Calling card from USA

J

Jeanette

What are some companies that offer calling cards to the DR and where can I buy them. I am close to NYC. I'm looking for a good rate with no connection fee. Thanks

C

ChicacagoChris

My calls to DR are usually long in nature. I use the $10.00 Blackstone pre-paid calling card. That card provides for 90 minutes of time and/or three calls. Blackstone also has a $5.00 card which I believe permits two calls and perhaps a half an hour of time. I could be wrong on what the $5.00 card permits though. In the Chicago area these cards can be purchased at just about any Hispanic grocery store.

S

Sarah

Try www.onesuite.com

I believe that the rate to the DR is .20 w/out connection or monthly fees 24/7.

W

Wade

We thought we'd have all bases covered by buying a Sprint prepaid calling card. It listed DR as one of the destinations with a number to call. Our flight was delayed on our return trip from DR so first I tried using my visa card to call relatives. The phones at the airport didn't take Visa, (they did take Mastercard, Discover and Diners Club) none of which I had. So I thought good time to use my prepaid card. Nope didn't work either. So was stuck with no way to get a hold of relatives picking us up at airport. They didn't have much luck either getting information about the flight. They just knew it wasn't at the gate at arrival time. The monitors still showed on time as did ours in Puerto Plata. Our flight was delayed an entire day. The monitors at Puerto Plata continued showing Ontime even as we left 24 hours later hehehehe. This time I'm bringing VISA, MasterCard and Diners Club. But wouldn't be surprised if this happens again. Guess it's the risk you take flying overseas.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Calling card from USA/CANADA/EUROPE to the DR

See www.BocaChicaBeach.net/staying_in_touch.html. They do all the research. Whenever a better card is discovered (and available via the internet), they include it. I have yet to see better rates posted here on the board, regardless of whether the calls are made from Canada, USA, Europe, or the DR. Lots of options have been posted here, but none with better rates.

The exception is that if you happen to live in an area where you can call a local access number free of charge (not an 800/888/877 number), then you might get a better rate than those accessed via toll-free numbers.

S

Sarah

We've had this discussion, and I cannot remember what the answer was. But it seems like toll-free (800) numbers cannot be dialed directly from the DR. You have to change the 800 to another 3 digit code, like 888 (?). And then you are charged in the DR the regular per min rate for a call to the US even tho you are supposedly using a "toll-free #", plus your calling card charges you. Getting double charged isn't the best way to make a call. It would be better to walk into a Codetel, dial the US # you're trying to reach directly, and just pay Codetel on the spot, rather than use your card. I think they charge about 6 or 7 pesos per min from the DR to the US.

V

Vincent

Re: Calling card www.phone-card.net

I have been using the Anytime and Royal Cards from Nobel. They both can be purchased online at www.phone-card.net. They offer some that are only charge 1 or 2 cents per minute but require a 1.99 connect charge. I haven't tried those because most of my call are only a few minutes. The Royal and Anytime cards are 11 and 12 cents per minute respectively. Royal is supposed to have better sound quality. Royal doesn't allow you to call another number by just pressing ## whereas the Anytime card does. Hope this helps. (If anyone uses Royal and found a way to redial without going through the entire calling card + pin + number sequence, please let me know)

L

Liza

Hi jeanette!!!

If you are calling from new your city the best card is
"merengue calling card" five dollars will give you 1hour
to DR.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Best Best DR cards can be bought on-line

Those are the same cards offered at www.BocaChicaBeach.net/staying_in_touch.html. The best cards I've seen so far.

I personally use the Nobel CELL PLUSS card because it bills in 1 minute increments. Many of the cards bill in 3 minute increments.

J

Jim Hinsch

Many 800 numbers CAN be called from the DR. It all depends on the specific 800 number and how it is set up.

The Tropicard for example has a 800 toll free number that CAN be dialed toll free from the DR, as do many other calling cards. But, the local access numbers, most of which are 800 numbers, are different for each country they support. Whenever a calling card has an 800 number listed as the local access number for the Dominican Republic, it is a toll free call. If it is not listed as specifically for the DR, it probably cannot be called from the DR. This is explained at the link below.

To dial a toll-free type 800, 888, or 877 number from the Dominican Republic, dial 1-880-number. You'll then be prompted to enter the number you wish to call. At that time, you can enter the whole number (800,888,877, etc.). The call is not a toll free call in this situation.

Anybody using AT&T, MCI, Sprint, etc. must enjoy getting ripped off. There rates come out to more than US$1.00/min. and some companies like Sprint have high connect fees on top of inflated per minute rates.