Rumshopping in SD

HarryK

Dec 22, 2010
Hello

I am about to visit DR for the first time. A major reason for my visit is my interest in dominican rums. Therefore I could use some advice to where I can find a good place to do my rum shopping in SD - prefererably in Zona Colonial.

Also does anyone knows if the Oliver & oliver rumfactory has a visiting center?

Thank you very much.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
After 50 years here I have never heard of Oliver rums...

You are best advised to go to one of the liquor stores or Supermercado Nacional.
You want to get Barcel? Imperial, Brugal Extra Viejo, and maybe one or two others, since tastes vary..have fun, they are good rums..

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I didn't drink rum before I got here but now I'm an expert :) as I've had them all. I prefer the "dorado" (most economical) because the more expensive taste too weak and I end up drinking too much, jeje. The best dorados out there are Barcelo, Brugal and Don Rhon and I doubt anyone could distinguish a difference between anyone of them.

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
Anybody know if the Rum Museum is back up and running yet?

For me, the standard Barcelo or Brugal extra viejo are as good as it gets. I've never tried the mega-expensive varieties yet, but I imagine you'd have to be a real conoisseur to appreciate the difference (or maybe just willing to believe there's a difference, as the case may be)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Anybody have any good Dominican rum drink recipes to share?

Barcel? Gran Platinum , RedBull, con un chin Gramberry...make sure you have a driver!

104gcp3.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That Oliver company is a bunch of hooey!. I can imagine how they make it...Let me say I have never seen it on the shelves...so it is not very mass market. And it is not elite either since I have never even heard of anyone drinking it...

I'll bet they have not been in the country 5 years...and I am making a guess!!

No matter, maybe they make good stuff.

Oh and by the way, you can get that Guatemalan rum, the one that is supposed to be rated #1 in the world, in Santo Domingo...

HB

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
After 50 years here I have never heard of Oliver rums...

You are best advised to go to one of the liquor stores or Supermercado Nacional.
You want to get Barcel? Imperial, Brugal Extra Viejo, and maybe one or two others, since tastes vary..have fun, they are good rums..

HB

yup. i bought all my rum either at nacional on maximo gomez or at the liquor store across the street. the rum is cheaper there, and you'll get all brands worth buying (except for the haitian 5 star barbancour, but i read somewhere that the earthquake destroyed most of their production, so i don't know if it is available at all). at the liquor store you will also get foreign rum, such as zacapa as well as the limited brugal unico and siglo de oro.
out of the dominican rums, my favourite is the bermudez aniversario, my favourite overall would be the barbancourt 5 star. i was mostly disappointed on the pricier side, but i feel like the siglo de oro got better over time.

May 29, 2006
I hear good things about Barbancourt, a Haitian estate rum. Don't know if you can get it in the DR. I like the Dominican rums in the gift boxes with a set of dominoes myself.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hello

I am about to visit DR for the first time. A major reason for my visit is my interest in dominican rums. Therefore I could use some advice to where I can find a good place to do my rum shopping in SD - prefererably in Zona Colonial.

Also does anyone knows if the Oliver & oliver rumfactory has a visiting center?

Thank you very much.
Although not in Zona Colonial Drinks2Go always has a good selection.

DRINKS 2 GO ?2010

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
I hear good things about Barbancourt, a Haitian estate rum. Don't know if you can get it in the DR. I like the Dominican rums in the gift boxes with a set of dominoes myself.

barbancourt is hands down the best rum i've tried yet. it might have a bit of a bite that some people might dislike, but the taste is incredible.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've had Barbancourt in Haiti and oddly enough it had almost a tequila taste that some others noticed too.