Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a TV

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carrying a TV

I'm planning to bring a (small - 22 or 26") tv back to Santiago from Philly. I would carry it on carry-on style, but I've got two small kids (by myself) so, I theoretically want to check it.

I'm not worried about paying customs, so please, no rhetoric about how I'm going to pay triple the price just to get it through customs.

There is a weight/size limitation on American but not a box embargo, so I know I can check it. I'm just looking for advice on if there is a better way.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaTeacher View Post
    I'm planning to bring a (small - 22 or 26") tv back to Santiago from Philly. I would carry it on carry-on style, but I've got two small kids (by myself) so, I theoretically want to check it.

I'm not worried about paying customs, so please, no rhetoric about how I'm going to pay triple the price just to get it through customs.

There is a weight/size limitation on American but not a box embargo, so I know I can check it. I'm just looking for advice on if there is a better way.
    Depends on when you're traveling - if it's before January 9th - NO boxes will be accepted by American Airlines.

AE

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume it is a flat screen, which is tax-free since it is a "computer monitor". Just put it in a knapsack.

What is your question?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen people check,computers monitor and tv's with no problems at least from what I could tell. Mayby it would be a good idea to go by the local UPS Store in the States and have them really pack it well for you with the foam things. It might cost US20-30 but it would be good insurance.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

AE - i spoke with an AA rep. this morning and they told me that this year there is no box embargo, just a size/weight limitation,and as long as the box is within the accepted dimensions, they'll take it. Thanks, though.

Tamborista - I think a 22 or 26 inch tv, while small, is too big to put in my knapsack and carry through the airport along with two (very) small children. that was my problem in the first place. If I thought it'd be easy to just carry it on, I would.

Chip - great idea, thanks.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

AE - i spoke with an AA rep. this morning and they told me that this year there is no box embargo, just a size/weight limitation,and as long as the box is within the accepted dimensions, they'll take it. Thanks, though.

Tamborista - I think a 22 or 26 inch tv, while small, is too big to put in my knapsack and carry through the airport along with two (very) small children. that was my problem in the first place. If I thought it'd be easy to just carry it on, I would.

Chip - great idea, thanks.
    LaTeacher, I'm flying AA on Jan 2nd, and was told NO boxes, checked the website and here's what it says:

Whether you're traveling to visit loved ones or making one last business deal, we want to make sure that your checked bags arrive at your destination with you this busy travel season. For that reason, American Airlines and American Eagle will implement limitations on checked baggage and boxes from November 20, 2010 - January 9, 2011.

For the destinations identified below, boxes and excess, overweight (more than 70lbs.), or oversized pieces will not be accepted for transportation. Bags weighing 51-70 lbs. will be accepted with the collection of the applicable charge.

Passengers will be allowed to check a maximum of two pieces which must be within the size and weight limits as follows (dimensional measurements calculated by adding the length, width and height of an item):

* 1st piece - up to 62 dimensional inches and 50 lbs. (70 lbs. for Brazil)
    * 2nd piece - up to 62 dimensional inches and 50 lbs. (70 lbs. for Brazil)

Carry-on items may only be up to 45 dimensional inches.

Attention First and Business Class Customers
    We are pleased to offer customers in First and Business Class the ability to check three bags at no charge.

American Airlines Cities With Oversize / Excess Bag Limitations
    Caribbean
    Grenada (GND)
    Kingston, Jamaica (KIN)
    Port au Prince, Haiti (PAP)
    Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP)
    Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
    Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI)

St. Kitts (SKB)

As well as all Caribbean cities from/through New York (JFK)

Mexico
    Mexico City (MEX)
    Guadalajara (GDL) Latin America
    Brasilia, Brazil (BSB)*
    Cali, Colombia (CLO)
    Caracas, Venezuela (CCS)
    Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)
    La Paz, Bolivia (LPB)*
    Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR)
    Medellin, Colombia (MDE)
    Quito, Ecuador (UIO)
    Recife, Brazil (REC)*+
    Salvador de Bahia, Brazil (SSA)*+
    San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)
    San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
    Santa Cruz, Bolivia (VVI)*
    Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)

As well as all Latin American cities from/through New York (JFK)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

If I were in your position, I would find an old hard case suitcase or pick one up at a thrift shop and along with UPS packaging, put it inside the suitcase along with clothes....

I have traveled that way with computers and computer parts to Sosua in the past, with no problems...........With you and the children, 3 to 6 suitcases shouldn't be a problem and that's what all those fellows hang around airports are for, to help with bags....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We brought a 19 inch in our checked suitcase. We took it out of the box and packed it around bedding which insulated it and hid it. Can't remember if they opened the suitcase and just saw the bedding or not. Didn't see the tv. TV works fine. If you have a suitcase it will fit in just pack it well and check it.

Moderator 🤡 Clown Bin
    Post Thanks / Like

I am really surprised people are telling you to put that small TV in your checked baggage after all the horror stories of small electronics disappearing from checked baggage.

I carried a full size desktop in my hand luggage once, I made the carrying case from a cloth laundry bag. (Similar to a shopping bag in size, just taller)

Don - SantiagoDr

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

alterego - i just miss the cut off, i travel back jan. 10. misunderstanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast