National Past Times

M

Mike K.

Other than baseball, what other national past times does the Dominican Republic have? Any suggestions?

H

hillbilly

Walker is quite right...->

Cockfighting is the #1 National Past Time of the DR.
It has a national governing body, it is state regulated and there is not a place in the contry with four houses that doesn't hold fights on a regular basis, at least once a week. There are newspapermen that dedicate their entire lives to covering the sport "quote". This is the ONE Dominican activity that absolutely everyone can participate in, except women of course...rich, poor, begger, thief. And before the fair sex chimes in, allow me to say that while women do go to the fights, it is not generally seen and those women that are assiduous frequenters of the fights are generally of a "questionable" character or are employees of the bar-restaurant. Yeah, I know, it is a sweeping generality...
One thing that most folks miss out on is the artisan related aspects of the cockfight: The preparation of the birds, the manufacture of the spurs, the mixing of the food. These aspects employ thousands of people all over the country..
I seriously believe that it would be easier to erradicate baseball than cockfighting....

HB

T

Tom

Cockfighting

This is a contest I never fully understood. Do the birds actually fight to the "death" or until one bird is unwilling or unable to continue?

I trust the loser is promptly "retired?"

Tom

W

Walker

Who is possible Hillbilly...

Knows Santiago better them me, dominican and "liniero-santiaguero" 100% per cent?

This man have to read 3 newspaer, and have two tv monitor and several pc in from of him, to wacht until tasting puros and callig Mr. kelner and Domingo Batistar from time to time...

D

Duarte

Re: Cockfighting

The birds normally fight until one of them is dead or unable to continue. Basically until the owner throws in the towel. Sometimes if you have a really good cock (That doesn't sound right...but anyways) that you may want to fight again the owner may pick him up, before it gets killed...The loser, normally does end up as part of some Sancocho...

T

Tom

Thanks for the reply. Is it safe to say that unlike dogfighting (which I find repulsive) the birds do not have a "killer instinct" to actually try and kill thier opponent once finished?

Tom

D

Duarte

Yes they do. They are very territorial. If they see another they will inmediately try to fight him to make him abandon the area. You do not need to train them in that regard. Even though we did train ours for strength, etc. One curious thing is that they are kind of like people, in the sense that some of them are not afraid of anything while others are such cowards, that run at the slightest chance of a fight.