Questions on VH Victoria, Playa Dorada/eating/internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoa3c

Dec 12, 2010
We decided to book the VH Victoria at Playa Dorada for three weeks - originally I was going to take the all inclusive thinking it would be nice not to have to be concerned with hunting and gathering for a change, but the package price had gone up a lot on expedia in the few days I was researching before I booked it (I think is was air fare), so we changed to the breakfast plan. I thought it may be for the better since we'd like to be able to travel around a bit without feeling tethered to our hotel for meals and thinking we're paying double. Besides our hotel restaurants, maybe we could go into Puerto Plata, or over to Sosua, or to other hotels to eat? Can you eat at other hotel restaurants in the Dorada complex?

Expedia also listed that the rooms have kitchens, but I don't see that on the Victoria's own website, does anyone know if that's true? I'm used to cooking some while we're on vacation, so I don't mind too much. It would give us another option. Please give me the run down on the rooms if you've stayed there.

So, is my a la carte plan doable or will we starve to death trying to find reasonably priced food? We've also found during our travels to other countries that portion sizes are often huge and we can easily split one meal; it also helps cut costs. Do portion sizes in DR tend to be large too?

Finally, is there internet in the rooms or a common area? I've read there are computers there, but I like to bring my own netbook with all my sites and Skype, where I can access my bank, etc. It does list internet as an extra cost, but does it actually work?
I've read that there's a new high speed internet line being laid under the ocean from USVI to DR. Hope the hotels hook up soon.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Hi, I've stayed at victoria and there were no kitchens in the rooms we had. I'm not sure whether or not there are any kitchens in any of the rooms or not... we had a fridge in the room and that was it. we took the AI plan because it give you access to both victoria and the sister hotel gran ventanas restaurants too. I didn't have internet in the room but I think you can use wifi for a fee or access it in an area near the little tuck shop up near the hotel lobby. the breakfast was good, waffles and omlettes made fresh and a buffet or other typical breaky foods with fruit, yogart etc.... they have themed nights for the dinner buffet, they've got an ala cart, a woodfired pizza oven, and a tex mex beach restaurant down on the beach. bring mosquito spray because the breakfast restaurant is located next to a water feature and you get bit when you're sitting there. I've read other comments on here that Hemingways is a restaurant close by in the playa dorada complex that has free wifi access for it's customers. you may grab a bite to eat there and bring your laptop... have fun. I'm going down tomorrow morning and keeping my fingers crossed that the snow subsides a bit here in ottawa so our flight goes out on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.