Missing Package. I believe stolen!

P

Peter

My mother sent a package to my girlfriend in Puerto Plata. My girlfriend is pregnant and my mother sent her a package which included maternity clothes, baby clothes and my own baby spoon and cup which she saved for many years. The United States Post office would not insure it and now I know why. My girlfriend called The Santo Domingo Post office and naturally they said that the package never arrived. Does anybody know if the packages go to customs before or after the post office? The package was sent 1 month ago. I think someone stole it and that really sucks! If anyone has any information regarding contacts for me to search for the package I would appreciate it. I also just sent a pair of headphones for her to put on her stomach for the baby to listen to merengue and customs opened the package and pulled the wires out of one of the earpieces. What is wrong with these people?

T

Tom

I know this doesn't help past problems, but use UPS, DHL etc for future shipments. It's more expensive but at least your package will arrive

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I agree with Tom, UPS, FedEx is the only way...

I have had stuff vanish in the regular post. I recommended anyone shipping small packages to or from the DR to use a courier service. It's more expensive, but at least is arrives and you can track it at every stage via the Internet.

Rob.

R

Reyna

I sent some baseball cards to someone there, they never got there. I would definitely FedEx from now on like the others suggested. The company I work for sent down a bunch of supplies for a recent convention as Casa de Campo, they were held up in customs and they had to pay an addition $4000US just to get them released in time. I guess this happens a lot.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: THIEVES ON A GRAND SCALE

It is not absolute guarantee that your items will arrive if you send them FedEx or DHL as they must also go thru customs and the customs personnel have a license to STEAL. Anything and everything they see that they want, they take. And, they always blame the courier service and the courier service blames the customs people. Anything of REAL value should be sent WITH some one going to the DR if you are lucky enough to know someone. Unfortunately that is the facts of life with the "postal system" in the D.R.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The difference is...

You can track the package at every point. Plus you can insure your package. It makes life much easier and I have yet to hear of FedEx or UPS packages being stolen.

Rob.

D

DR-VETERAN

Re: Missing Package. still on the way

it may still be in the mail.packages sometimes take up to 3-4 month before they arrive.a notification to an apartado postal is easier as to an home adress.maybe this is where one problem is.the other maybe that the package is retained by customs.not a big deal as small value items did not pay anything during inspection.before!now who knows.
ups has a bad customs service dept.from 2 sample packages send to me one arrived without any problems the other one was retained at customs where they liked to charge on samples.was not the first time i had problems in customs due to ups.
fed ex customs is slow but seem to be a bit more effective.

F

Fran

I sent a package by the regular mail last year. It took about a month for our friends to get it, but they finally did receive it.They had to go in person to the customs office and pick it up. You might suggest that you girlfriend do this as well. She will have to bring some i.d. with her in order to be able to pick up the package. It worked for our friends hope it works out for yours.Good Luck.

W

Walker

Hay que averiguar en adunas

Correos dominicano no entrega directamente los paquetes, estos son entregados a una ofina especial en aduanas de cada capital de provincia que se llama Collie o Colly Postal, no recuerdo exactamente con le llaman. Es el primer sitio donde se debe indagar en Puerto Plata, a ver si ya esta en sus depositos.

S

Sarah

Same here...in Barahona I had to go directly to customs office looking for my package. Presented ID and was handed the package w/out trouble. However, no valuables were included. Good luck!!

J

James Paige

Perhaps, these emails should be forwarded to President Mejia's office so that they can take steps to weed out the dishonest customs agents by placing them under constant camera surveillance. Even corporate shipments have disappeared in Dominican customs over the years so this problem is not just limited to personal shipments.

M

Marie

fedex still 2 times package i send.. no more... they refund the price of shipping and 100$ cad $ even the value was more..
but i agree with the persons who said to go to aduana ,,and if your girl frins know somebody who knows somebody it helps..

H

Henry

Unfortunately the custom - whereever it is (port, mail, courier and airport)- do have the bad habit for years of serving themselves what they can! This habit we find in a lot of other public offices aswell - who want to get rid of that??? A week government like the one we have??????