Having a Baby!

C

christy

Two Canadians are going to have a baby in D.R. What to expect? Where do we find a doctor? What sort of conditions are the hospitals in? Is there anyone to answer questions about nationality and residency?

E

ECH, M.D.

E-MAIL me for a private respone

Suggest you contact the Canadian Embassy with your questions about nationality and report of citizens birth abroad. THIS IS IMPORTANT! DO NOT WAIT.

L

Liza

why are they having a baby in DR, if they dont know what to
expect or in what condiction the hospitals are in.We have
great doctors and private clinics in the DR.

good luck with the baby!!!!!

M

mrbean

For cdn citizenship, they need to register the birth with the cdn embassy (Santo Domingo 685-1136). They will need to appear personally at the embassy to get the documents, will need photos of the baby, birth certificate, etc. Plus thier own documents. But why here? When it's free and high-quality in Canada? However, I have heard that there are good clinics, but they certainly aren't as lovely as you would get in canada...
good luck!

C

christy

DR is home now-thanks for advise

I thank those of you who responded. The reason we wish to consider the possibility of having our baby here is because we live here now. We LOVE the Dominican Republic and just because I am uninformed at this point about the condition of hospitals and such, does not mean I am ruling out the possibility of having our baby here. I have been recommended to a couple gynecologists in POP and have made appointments for consultation. I did phone the Canadian Consulate in POP and asked if 2 Canadians have a baby in Dominican Republic what citizenship will that baby be. The responce I was given was "Canadian."

M

Marie

Re: DR is home now-thanks for advise

yes if you declare the baby int he 3 following months of birth..and he will be also dominican according to the law because he is born in dominica land..
If you don<t know a good gynecologist i recommend to you Doctora MOUSA...she is sweet and lovely doctor. and do not worry Dominican republic is not jungle as some persons may think..and you wont be the first mamy over there if you saw all the pregnancy in that country...good luck and good DOMINICANADIAN baby

C

christy

3 month time limit?

Why 3 months? Is the dominican residency automatic? Will that give the parents of the baby residency as well?

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: 3 month time limit?

Don't think there is a time limit. A citizen is a citizen regardless. Did not do the paper work on MY own son for several years. Yes, the child is/will be a dual citizen and can claim citizenship of both Canada and the Dominican Republic. No, it does not facilitate YOUR residency in the Dominican Republic. And yes, the Dominican citizenship is relatively automatic complete with birth certificate, etc. You will want to do this as early as possible simply to facilitate the paper work. Finding the necessary documents as I had to do several years later was a pain. Best wishes with your new edition.

J

jen

question, are both parents canadian or is the father dominican? this will make the baby dominican citizen aswell adn inform cdn embassy right away

T

Tom

Answer/Original post

"Two Canadians are going to have a baby in D.R. What to expect? Where do we find a doctor? What sort of conditions are the hospitals in? Is there anyone to answer questions about nationality and residency? "

E

ECH, M.D.

Jen, the father (or the mother) DO NOT need to be Dominican for the child to qualify for Dominican citizenship. The virture that they are BORN here is sufficient. Same with MOST countries of the world but not all.