Is anyone up for a jog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChantalintheDR

Nov 29, 2009
Hello All! I am here from Canada and will be staying in Sosua/Cabarete for a few months. Back home, I jog about 5 kms almost every day. Is there a good, safe place here where I can go for a jog? Is there a jogging group that I could join?

Thanks!
Chantal

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Just my opinion

Jogging on the roads is dangerous due to the insane drivers, the pot holes, and the loose dogs. Again my opinion but you are safer joining a gym with a good treadmill and a view. Had a friend who just loved to jog outdoors until a German Shepherd attacked him. And down here you dont just sue the dog's owner. Good luck whatever you decide.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Along Playa Encuentro in the daytime is good. 5km along the beach road should be safe.

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
I am in Cabarete East area right now, going home on Sunday :( I am a runner and despite my misgivings I decided to try running barefoot on the beach. I thought there was no way this would work but it turned out great. My only advice, run in the afternoon when the tide is out, there is nice solid sand, otherwise if you run in the morning the tide is too high or the sand is too soft. The scenery is awesome, not quite as good as running at home but when you get into it it's great...I was running 6-8km. After 12 noon is best. I've seen a few people running on the road and it's probably OK for the most part but personally I didn't take the risk.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The malecon in Puerto Plata is excellent for jogging, and there is a walkway the entire length. No need to go onto the road.

ChantalintheDR

Nov 29, 2009
Thanks for the feedback, that's great! I think I will try the beach in Cabarete. I want to go regularly and may be moving to Cabarete, so that might work out. It seems there is no running group right now. How about we start one?

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the feedback, that's great! I think I will try the beach in Cabarete. I want to go regularly and may be moving to Cabarete, so that might work out. It seems there is no running group right now. How about we start one?

I was at Cabarete Beach today and even in the morning there were a lot of people jogging it, there is much more room to run there than to the east where I am staying. Lots of hard sand. Around 5pm I saw someone running with shoes as well. Enjoy!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
My wife and I used to run on the beach in Cabarete but we gave it up because you are always running at an angle and it was causing joint problems. There is a residential neighborhood called Pro Cab right in town. If you run the whole loop, you've gone about a mile. Run it 3 times and you're pretty close to your 5K.

buggabagang

Jan 5, 2010
run

hi - i'll be in town at the end of Feb for 10 days. I run the beach in Cabarete when I am around. Would like to get a new running partner...let me know...johnwhalenjr@hotmail.com

Reactions: waytogo
Status
Not open for further replies.