Short Term Internet Service (1 - 3 months)

vnazaire

Sep 4, 2010
I am shopping for a Short-Term ( 1 - 3 months) Internet Service in Santiago ?

Is it possible ? If so, what's the cheapest way ?

vnazaire

Sep 4, 2010
Solid information !

Orange or Claro prepaid, before to buy, make a test with same carriers in the place where you will stay, regarding the signal.
To make a test, get two friends, one with Claro, other with Orange, then check how is their signal on the mobiles. That is how the Internet connection will be.

If you have BB,

Otherwise, you will get USB doungle
If you do not check the signal, then you will loose time, going back to shop, then they will test it, and say that everything is okay (as they are sitting under antenna).

Claro prepaid Internet M?vil ? Escoge la Red, Escoge Claro 3G!

Orange daily prepaid Orange net - Por d?a

Oh, yes, Viva Prepaid Internet Interjet | Viva Dominican Republic

Thank you, it's good info !

But, can you explain what is BB and what is " doungle " ?

vnazaire

Sep 4, 2010
February2011 costs .

Orange or Claro prepaid,

If you have BB, then it is 1100 pesos per month, and it can be very fast with 3G., and then you can use it as a modem for PC.

Otherwise, you will get USB doungle with GSM sim card inside. (that is why is recommendable to check the signal at home.)

Claro prepaid Internet M?vil ? Escoge la Red, Escoge Claro 3G!

Orange daily prepaid Orange net - Por d?a

Oh, yes, Viva Prepaid Internet Interjet | Viva Dominican Republic

I did check today with Claro office on calle del Sol : for 60 days, they charge 3 875 pesos plus impuestos ( modem comes gratis).

Orange office on the same street charges daily 120 pesos, there isn't a charge per a set number of days.

Tomorrow, I will check with Viva.

fabrice

Nov 6, 2012
Hi guys, im heading to punta cana for a few months around 5. do you know what would be the best way for me ?
is viva really good in punta cana because it seems really cheap for the interjet libre.

only need my passport right?

thank you:)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Watch the download allowances.... they cut you off after a predetermined download quota

Its NOT unlimited usage

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Viva is Sh1t! Sorry, cheap crap!

Bring an unlocked MiFi unit with you, you will beable to sell in for double what it cost you when you leave.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Orange is good in Punta Cana for short term if the signal is good where you are at. I have a dongle from them that I use for a back up when I have a problem with land based Claro. The dongle cost about 2500rd and it is 120 rd for any 24 hour period. You can put money on the dongle and just use it when you want for a 24 hr period.

But the speed is OK, but nothing to rave about. About 1 Mg down and .33 up. But you can get by with it for normal use.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Viva is Sh1t! Sorry, cheap crap!

Bring an unlocked MiFi unit with you, you will beable to sell in for double what it cost you when you leave.
If you can get it to work. I tried that and even Claro tech people couldn't get it to work.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
there is also a 7 day period right ?

is it ok to skype with it ?

I did not use it for months, and when I did it still worked. As long as you have money there it will work. It is weak on Voip calls, it will work but not too good.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Both are crap, but they work if you get a good signal. Check the signal on both from where you are and then choose.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RE: Skype..... you can get away w/ voice, but the video Skype is tough.

Agree w/the others - verify the signal first, then choose....

Apr 13, 2011
I had an Orange pre-pay dongle for a while. Then the next time I tried a Claro pre-pay dongle.
In the Santo Domingo and Punta Cana areas, they both had worked well for my purposes - mostly email for work.
But I was able to Skype as well. The video picture was a little distorted at times, but functional. GoToMeeting conference calls also worked, but again the video quality was poor.
The only difference between Orange and Claro for me was: Claro was less expensive, but also needed me to go back to the Claro office again because it did not work out of the box at first.

fabrice

Nov 6, 2012
thank you guys. my last question is if you know if i can recharge the prepaid via internet? with claro and organge?

with a canadian credit card ofcourse?
thanks