I just had an interesting encounter

rwing93

Jan 14, 2011
I was on Hwy 5 heading back from Las Terrenas. I got a few kilometers west of Nagua and I ran into two guys dressed in military uniforms. One was stopping traffic heading east and one stopping traffic heading west. He pulled me over and started asking me something in spanish. Since I didn't understand a word he said, I tried to too tell him I didn't understand him. Then he started to rub his index finger and thumb together indicating I guess that he wanted some money. I just kept telling him I didn't understand. Then he just let me go. Nothing like a couple of corrupt military guys trying to scare money out of tourists!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was on Hwy 5 heading back from Las Terrenas. I got a few kilometers west of Nagua and I ran into two guys dressed in military uniforms. One was stopping traffic heading east and one stopping traffic heading west. He pulled me over and started asking me something in spanish. Since I didn't understand a word he said, I tried to too tell him I didn't understand him. Then he started to rub his index finger and thumb together indicating I guess that he wanted some money. I just kept telling him I didn't understand. Then he just let me go. Nothing like a couple of corrupt military guys trying to scare money out of tourists!

It is a shame but this happens much too often.

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
Driving on my way to Quisqueya from Punta Cana I stopped at a colmado for a drink and the military guy stopped before i could get in my car and asked me for $5 for gas as his car was empty and he had to go to work. I paid it even though there are no gas stations out there. But he asked in english not spanish.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just ignore these scum bags, they cannot do anything to you, plus they know they will be beaten if caught, especially hassling tourists. Take out your phone with a camera or normal camera, they soon run like cockroaches.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have mixed thoughts on this. Of course it is a problem and shouldn't happen, but then the pay for the police and military is so low it is hard for many to support themselves, let alone a family.

Hard to say what any of us would do in their shoes.

Corruption is so widespread in this country that the few pesos/dollars these guys collect is not even a drop in the ocean.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
By giving them anything you just make the problem worse, and encourage intimidation and corruption. Rather give money to families you know, in order to help them.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I have mixed thoughts on this. Of course it is a problem and shouldn't happen, but then the pay for the police and military is so low it is hard for many to support themselves, let alone a family.

Corruption is so widespread in this country that the few pesos/dollars these guys collect is not even a drop in the ocean.

While I empathize with them this behavior should not be encouraged in any way shape or form! IF it is ok for them then it is ok for everyone. And it escalates. Where then does society draw the line?

And the kids are watching. They see it, they learn it and they repeat it. That is not ok.

I will not give one peso to anyone who has not earned it! You want money from me then come clean my yard! Shine my shoes! Wash my car! Learn that nothing comes for free. No one owes you a living and I am not a rich gringo whose sole purpose here it to make your life easier!!!!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
While I empathize with them this behavior should not be encouraged in any way shape or form! IF it is ok for them then it is ok for everyone. And it escalates. Where then does society draw the line?

Where does society draw the line? It should start with the President, Mayors, Government Ministers, etc.

(If it is ok for them, it is hard for underpaid people to think it is ok for everyone.)

I am not saying it is right for anyone, of course it isn't, just answering your question.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Where does society draw the line? It should start with the President, Mayors, Government Ministers, etc.

(If it is ok for them, it is hard for underpaid people to think it is ok for everyone.)

I am not saying it is right for anyone, of course it isn't, just answering your question.

While I agree it is hard, it is not ok for anyone. NOT one single person has the right. It needs to start from the TOP, the BOTTOM and everywhere in between.AND we need to not condone it by participating.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Thats good to know,cause I probably would have given him a couple of bucks!
Manu

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010

And the kids are watching. They see it, they learn it and they repeat it. That is not ok.

I will not give one peso to anyone who has not earned it! You want money from me then come clean my yard! Shine my shoes! Wash my car! Learn that nothing comes for free. No one owes you a living and I am not a rich gringo whose sole purpose here it to make your life easier!!!!!!

I agree. No one but you, is entitled to what you?ve earned earnestly. BTW although I am Dominican, the camera thing is a great idea, I myself have ran into these type of situations in the past. I?ve always made it crytal clear to these uniformed beggers that their behavior was not tolerated.

From now on, I?ll just tell them that I am willing to give them the money, but I will need a picture of them for tax purposes (tax write off). I?m certain they wont take the cash after that.;)

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i know quite a few military, higher ups, mostly, but i've picked up many a soldier who was hitchhiking home to barahona from the capital or to santiago/puerta plata after a long week of work in the city. sometimes i find them on the return. most are honest, salt of the earth good guys who joined the military to provide food for their mothers, fathers, sisters etc. in this country there aren't many options for a young man. all have been clean, polite, glad i met them. now, after they've been in SD for a while and get corrupted by the system, maybe they change, but i'm glad they joined the military at age 18 instead of a gang or worse trying to run some hustle on the beach..........

Reactions: greydread

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
Several years ago I was accosted on the highway by a young military man armed with a M-16. He made it known to be that he wanted money and I explained to him, as best as I was able in my fractured Spanish, that I should pay the toll at the booth 4 or 5 kilometers down the road. He clarified that HE wanted money. I feigned ignorance and continued to offer the helpful information that the tolls were collected elsewhere.

Gotta give him credit, he persisted. Finally I allowed the light to dawn and with my best incredulous face on asked if this was CORRUPTION? The young man considered his options. Since he was obviously dealing with a particularly stupid person he let discretion fly in the wind and said "YES!" Whereupon I asserted that I couldn't support that and drove off.

Reactions: Celt202

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Gotta give him credit, he persisted. Finally I allowed the light to dawn and with my best incredulous face on asked if this was CORRUPTION? The young man considered his options. Since he was obviously dealing with a particularly stupid person he let discretion fly in the wind and said "YES!" Whereupon I asserted that I couldn't support that and drove off.

LOL, good one.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Just ignore these scum bags, they cannot do anything to you, plus they know they will be beaten if caught, especially hassling tourists. Take out your phone with a camera or normal camera, they soon run like cockroaches.

Right on, Robert! One can also try a 'rolling stop' with hands raised in the WTF position, but not stopping.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Here's a funny story:
I had a friend who had a bellboy hat that looked like some sort of policeman/military hat. Whenver we were stuck in a traffic jam he put the hat on, stepped out of his car and everyone pulled over and let us pass. I couldn't belive that it worked everytime!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We were stopped for a shakedown also near Nagua. This was mid December and we thought it was a pre Christmas thing. It was very frightening for our visiting children who were in the back seat. We didn't give them money but for a few minutes the guy who stopped us was quite aggressive.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

+1 Some of them make less then 200 US a month. Go figure. And regarding the advice of flashing your fancy camera phone. I would NEVER do that. It might work sometimes but also they might "find" some white powder in your trunk. They cant do anything?? Well I am pretty sure they can. I dont mess with them and have small bills in one pocket when I drive. I usually give them 50, 100 or 200 pesos.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
+1 Some of them make less then 200 US a month. Go figure. And regarding the advice of flashing your fancy camera phone. I would NEVER do that. It might work sometimes but also they might "find" some white powder in your trunk. They cant do anything?? Well I am pretty sure they can. I dont mess with them and have small bills in one pocket when I drive. I usually give them 50, 100 or 200 pesos.

I?ve been stopped numerous times during my twele years in the DR, and I?ve never once handed out one single dime. Not because I?m cheap, but because I simply frown upon this type of behavior.

Not once have they ever gotten hostile with me, but then again I?m Dominican so I?m sure this plays in my favor.