el catey

lisaM1

Jun 27, 2008
does anyone have any good updates as to when el catey will begin accepting flights directly from the United States? Thank you.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
El Catey / US Flights

Hi:

The only thing of have heard is that possibly American Airlines has been in negotiations with the Dominican Government to establish service to El Catey. Exactly when that is going to happen is anyones guess. A couple of years ago A/A did have a flight which came into El Catey via San Juan PR. I fly in from the States and live in Las Terrenas part of the year. It would certainly be easier to have El Catey available.

S

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
No radar, no US direct commercial flights as rules per agreement with US federal aviation and DR gov. The flights that serviced the Catey from US were done as charter type, not regular. Once they violated the number of such flights per year/period under those conditions, the Federal sent them a cease and desist notice until radar and other measures in place at airport. Catey continues to be an irregular flights airport until further notice. The EU places no such rules on their flights to the Catey however.

Once POP and SD get new radars, old ones will be sent to Catey and Maria Montez.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
does anyone have any good updates as to when el catey will begin accepting flights directly from the United States? Thank you.

I don't know what part of the US you are in. However, if you are close to Montreal or Toronto, Air Canada offers direct flights to El Catay from both cities.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Aa

Actually, AA did have scheduled flights from Puerto Rico at one point about 3 years ago. My husband took the flight and it was great just having to drive to El Catey. The reason they stopped is because not enough people were taking that flight and the planes were mostly empty. There were regular scheduled flights, not charters.

Juniper

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We, too, took those flights and often were the only passengers..... they had a bad habit of cancelling the flights and driving you to POP which changed all the connections from P.R........ not good.

Also, WestJet flies from Canada.

WW

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Flights into El Catey

I live in northern NY, only 75 miles southwest of Montreal. I looked at the Air Canada flights but the price difference between that flight and Jet Blue out of Burlington Vt. was considerable. The convenience of a direct flight from Canada into El Catey would be great but the price difference made it prohibitive. There must be much heavier taxes on the airline ticket out of Canada because the exchange rate is basically currently at par.

s

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I live in northern NY, only 75 miles southwest of Montreal. I looked at the Air Canada flights but the price difference between that flight and Jet Blue out of Burlington Vt. was considerable. The convenience of a direct flight from Canada into El Catey would be great but the price difference made it prohibitive. There must be much heavier taxes on the airline ticket out of Canada because the exchange rate is basically currently at par.

s

Yes, the Cdn flights are more expensive.
Its not the dollar.....there is little to no competition...Air Canada and WestJet.

WW