Help with itinerary -- Late May

econjon

Feb 14, 2011
Hi, my gf and I are planning to head to DR (our first time) for a week vacation in late May. We are trying to stay on a moderate budget of $60-80/nt while accomplishing the following objectives:

• avoid massive tourist congestion (e.g. AI resorts, PC, etc...)
  • stay in apt or similar w/ kitchen
  • see great natural beauty (e.g. Salto El Limon Falls)
  • Get some R&R at a decent beach with access to grocery/nice restaurants

We are thinking of the following itinerary, but we would love your suggestions on alternatives or places to stay/things to do:

5/21 Arrive afternoon in Puerto Plata and stay the night (cheap hotel recs???)
5/22 Rent car and drive east. Check out Sosua (Maybe stay in Cabarete or Cabrera??)
5/23 Drive to Las Terrenas. Possibly stay in villa?
5/23-26 Explore Samana Peninsula
5/26 Drive to Santo Domingo
5/26-5/28 Explore SD
5/28 Leave SDQ afternoon.

So specific questions we have are:

• Does this itinerary sound reasonable? Anything we're absolutely missing?
  • How much should we expect to spend for apt/villa rentals w/ocean view? Is $60 enough to get anything nice?
  • Should we rent car for whole trip? Or just to gt to Samana and then rent ATV's?
  • Should we book accommodation now, or wait until the time gets closer?

Thank you!!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
$60 will cover the daily car rental with full insurance and gas. You need utter cover, don't risk it if you don't know your way around.
Ocean view? Where? Prices vary massively.
You can find cabanas all over for $20 per night for a grotty one, or stay in a Vegas themed spinning bed and disco lights one for $35. Great fun for the night with the Mrs.
I wouldn't make plans, just see where you end up, absolutely nothing EVER goes to plan.

econjon

Feb 14, 2011
thanks for the colibri rec. that looks great. i'll hunt the forums for more info on it. do you think it is worth taking a couple days to drive from puerto plata? any recs to check out along the way there?

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
My thoughts on the car rental:
-if you pick in POP and drop in SDQ your cost is higher ( like everywhere else - USA, Europe )
-DO NOT rent from local companies !!! Rent from the US chains ( even thou in the DR the franchise will rent to you ) - if you have a card that covers your insurance then you have no worries ; Do you speak spanish ? If U'R street smart and with the right propina an advertised rate of $70-100 can be yours for $40-60. If U pick in POP and SDQ ( and with the propina U got a good deal in POP ) still watch out - the SDQ guy did not get his propina so even a small scratch will have consequences....Just say that your CC pays for it all....
-DO NOT NOT NOT drive when dark....again, DO NOT NOT

econjon

Feb 14, 2011
we both speak spanish. and we have traveled extensively. i also lived in costa rica for a year, so i understand a bit of the Caribbean lifestyle.

i totally appreciate the convo on rental cars. we will definitely NOT drive at dark. i didn't realize that the p/u guy needed a prop too. we'll take care of that.

btw- the gf just ok'd for us to stay antoher day and come back on 5/29. where would you suggest we spend the extra day? THANK YOU!!!!!

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
5/21 Arrive afternoon in Puerto Plata and stay the night (cheap hotel recs???)
5/22 Rent car and drive east. Check out Sosua (Maybe stay in Cabarete or Cabrera??)

When you get to DR stay in Cabarette. You can get a aparta hotel for $50/night on the beach. then you can party and have fun in cabarette on saturday. Sunday you can spend it vegging out in cabarette. The reason i say stay in cabarette is because everything to do is on the beach. (Im not familiar with puerto plata's nightlife, other than whats in the AIs)

5/26-5/28 Explore SD
5/28 Leave SDQ afternoon.

That might be a lot of time to be in la Capital w/out knowing what to do. You can do el conde and the zona colonial in one afternoon, after that there isnt much in terms of exploring unless you have a idea of events you want to attend. Spend the afternoon in the zona colonial take in all the sites, take a nap back at your apartment hotel, have a nice dinner, and head to plaza juan baron to stroll around listen to music and have a few beers. Keep an eye for concert and event posters. you will be suprised to see who is in concert and find something fun to do.

Instead after the 4-5 hour drive from Samana to the south coast you might want to spend that thursday on the beach in boca chica or Juan dolio just to relax then head into the la Capital on friday. Again you can find places to stay in gazcue or the zona colonial (in santo domingo) for 30-$50/night

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What to do in Santo Domingo........

............. plaza juan baron to stroll around listen to music and have a few beers. Keep an eye for concert and event posters. you will be suprised to see who is in concert and find something fun to do...................
Very few people bother to mention the plaza but an enjoyable time can be had there. Weekend nights are usually the best time to catch the entertainment, although it can be hit or miss. There are plenty of places to eat in the plaza and quite a few small restaurants across the street.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Plaza Juan Baron

I like going there in the early evenings. I either bring a bottle of whiskey or just send for some presidentes. I find a bench or table to sit at, and shoot the sh$t with whomever i am with. If im with my novia she can bring her daughter and she can run around and have fun while we relax and enjoy the cool breeze, and refreshing beers. If i am with one of my boys he can admire the beautiful women and invite them over for the drink.

They also have concerts there, but i do try to stay away from those because i prefer smaller crowds.

But there is karaoke there, music playing, places to sit, places to eat, security, and plenty of runners out there that will go and fetch you beer, food, etc.

I also like la Cenizas (sorry if i misspelled it) right next to the Jaragua hotel. It signs out front say la Parada but all the Dominicans i know still call it La Cenizas. They have a lounge singer there, and he will let you come up and sing with him. They also have karaoke.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
May Itiniery

Hi:

Your plans for May are very doable. I live in Las Terrenas. If you want to be across from the beach Hotel Colibri on Playa Las Ballenas is a good choice. If you want to be closer to town and able to walk check at Hotel Villas Mariposa. Both of these are in your price range. Make sure when you rent a vehicle that you get at the very least a small SUV, such as a Chevy Tracker or Susuki Grand Vitara. You will need it on some of the roads. In Santo Domingo check out the Zona Colonial, which is the historical district in the old part of the city. A great place to stay there is the Hotel El Conde' which is right in the heart of the area. They have a large outdoor cafe' and it is across the square from the oldest church in the new world. Have fun.

S

econjon

Feb 14, 2011
wow. great suggestions. thank you. i think we will get a compact suv at pop and keep it until we leave from sdq. we will be there on the weekend, so will prob get to see some of the excitement.

it looks like we will spend an extra day on the peninsula. does the Hotel Villas Mariposas have a website?

also, is $70/day a reasonable price for renting a compact suv one way?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
the others here know way more than I do, but when I checked into rental cars there were day rates and weekly rates which were a bit less. it's also been suggested to book your car rental in advance online, which is cheaper than just walking in for one. BTW.. my information is based on P.C.... I realize it could be different in other areas.