Couple in Mid-20's - Grand Paradise Bavaro...

Feb 17, 2011
Hey there, just looking for a little bit of help from some people with some experience/knowledge on the Punta Cana area. I'm 25 years old, from Canada, coming down to the Grand Paradise Bavaro next week and am still a little bit unsure about what to expect. I'm coming down with my girlfriend, and booked this resort as it wasn't too pricey and seemed like a good choice when browsing through travel sites... I'm hoping I chose a decent one? I'm sure there are lots of other great ones, but I specifically want 4-star as I hate snobs/rude people and perhaps I'm making a huge assumption here, but those who pay the big bucks usually want a nice 3rd world servant taking care of their every need, in my experience anyway. Not my type of atmosphere.

I like to party and have fun... not the get drunk and blackout type, but I like to stay a minimum of 30% inebriated at all times while away lol. I hope the resorts nightlife is good, but I can't expect any resort to provide me with my fun... that's more of a "did a lot of 'fun' people book this resort that week" thing. This brings me to the issue of partying off of the resort. Many people in Canada have warned me not to leave the resort, like I'll end up in the middle of Port-Au-Prince or something. Is this the case? I've noticed a lot of people raving about bars off the resort, even mentioning a Hard Rock? Problem is that although I consider myself quite the "mans-man" and can take care of myself quite fine if need be, I don't want to have to keep assuring my girl that we're "okay" and "not to worry" while off the resort at night. I realize this isn't Cancun, so I don't want to end up actually using my Travel Insurance to return my remains back to Canada by months end lol. Just how safe is it?

Also, any heads-up I could use, stuff you wish tourists knew before they came down to avoid hearing their ridiculous complaints/misfortunes? Any help is appreciated.

PS. Are the hotel safes... safe? lol. A review mentioned someone had things stolen from theirs, had no problem in Cuba... just want to know if this hotel is notorious for thefts from safes or not. Sorry for the drawn out post. :cheeky:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Have you traveled internationally before? To the Caribbean? Keep in mind that this is a different culture, with different priorities and customs. "Island time" moves at a slower pace. You sound like easy going, laid back folks, the type of people who will enjoy the D.R. It's the picky, fussy, self-important types that tend to have problems. Even at the very best resorts there will be things that aren't "perfect", so they have their whole vacations ruined because they were short a towel in their bathroom, had to wait a few minutes for a drink, or saw a bug somewhere. It's the tropics and they expect there to be no bugs? The staff are genuinely dedicated to you enjoying your vacation, they are not ignoring you.

It is far better to address any "problem" you may encounter with a smile and a polite request to remedy it. "Por Favor" and "Muchas Gracias", go a long way. Angry, obnoxious demands will also be met with grace and manners... but guess which tactic gets results.

It is important that you take all the things you've heard and read with a grain of salt. The room safes ARE safe... sometimes too safe.. I locked myself out once. LOL When you read reviews on Trip Advisor, et. al., keep in mind that some people just have an axe to grind and will say ANYTHING, (real or fictional) to try and get revenge against a hotel or other establishment. Those kinds of reviews are easy to spot, since they usually focus on a traveler's greatest fears, crime and disease.

As for leaving the resort.... DO IT!!! One of my regrets is not having done that the first couple of times I visited the D.R. Starting on the transfer bus from the airport, the resort staff and travel group reps, (Apple, etc.) will use scare tactics to keep you in the resort, and tell you to only venture out with THEIR tours. Yes, they want to "protect" you, and to a degree that is a valid reason because some tourists are very naive; but it's also a tactic to keep your business inside the resort. You will be perfectly safe as long as you exercise common sense and normal precautions that you would use anywhere, even at home. Punta Cana is particularly safe, and tourists are almost immune from any kind of crime, (except MAYBE petty theft as a crime of opportunity.)

I'm not familiar with your particular resort, but I've stayed in five star and in 3 to 4 star places. I don't know if I would quite agree with your theory of the 5 stars being filled with snobs etc. Actually, you can find rude people everywhere in the world, in all walks of life, and at all socioeconomic levels. Also, there will be travelers there from places who have different customs, (never heard of waiting in line, etc.) Try to ignore these things, you'll enjoy your time more. In my somewhat limited experience the primary difference between hotels at the different levels is how large and plush the rooms are and the quality (not quantity) of the liquor served. I've found the service to be good regardless of stars. Good is a relative term though. At the 5 star places as well as others you might have to wait a bit at times, your table service won't be like the best restaurants back home, you might have to request things you would expect to be automatic; but in the end you'll get what you want. One thing I will suggest, (others might dispute this), I find it helpful to go with a pocket full of small bills, and am pretty generous with rewarding service. Does this mean I'm "buying good service"? Maybe so, but it works. I know people think, "ALL inclusive" means no tipping, and honestly it is not necessary, but it is greatly appreciated by the hotel staff who make very, VERY low wages. I haven't quite yet figured out though, which is more effective; the small tips or the smiles and good will, but I like the "belt AND suspenders" approach. LOL

As for the club scene, I don't know. I think you're right with it really depends on who else happens to be there, either in the A.I. or in town. My kids... roughly your age, have had a BLAST at the hotel clubs, (I even have pics of my son behind the bar mixing drinks for the other guests while his new amigo, the bartender, took a quick break. I'm sure he would have been fired if his boss found out, LOL. They've also really enjoyed some of the local places too, but it was low season when they explored them, so there were less people around. I've also heard some of the clubs in the area can be a lot of fun too, with the added bonus of experiencing some of the local flavor. Again... try both and go with what works!

captnglenn-albums-captn-crew-punta-cana-picture442-gringobartender.jpg

You're going to have a great time... just relax and enjoy.

Feb 17, 2011
Thanks so much for taking the time to give a well written lengthy response Glenn, helped alleviate some worries which will honestly make our trip much better.

As far as the Caribbean goes, I've been to Cuba for 2 weeks, and stayed on a resort for only 2 nights as we stayed in a city that was an hour from the beach the rest of the time so we wanted some ocean for a short while. Spent most of the time with the people, had some pig roasts and partied in a building made strictly out of the byproduct of palm tree... it was one of the best times of my life. Dominican sounds very similar, obviously a tad different culturally, but similar nonetheless.

I guess my assumption regarding the 5 star thing was made while I was at a resort in Cuba. After spending over a week in Cuban homes, partying and socializing with friends of friends of mine down there, I was disgusted at the behaviour of the tourists towards the resort employees. I'm talking "Cannon-balling" in the pool intentionally soaking the fully dressed bartenders at the swim-up bar disgusting... not to mention the verbal treatment I heard over the course of a short 2 days.

I'm sure we'll be fine off the resort, we're not exactly the picture-snapping-khaki-short-and-Hawaiian-shirt-wearing types lol. We live in an area considered "rough" up here, and the same "opportunistic" crimes can occur here if you decide to roam seemingly unaware of your surroundings. You've helped me come to the conclusion that my instinct was right, I was getting information from the paranoid.

Should be an awesome trip, and by this time next week we'll be eating our first dinner in the Dominican Republic!!!! :cheeky:

Thanks again for all the help! I'll come on here and give everyone a "young couples opinion of Punta Cana" to the best of my ability when I get back lol

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You'll be fine, there is a massive young foreign following around bavaro. The most dangerous thing in bavaro is the brugal.
You can find bars/clubs open 24/7, just ask the barstsff when you get there. Hard rock cafe on a Friday night gets good, a local cover band plays there and they have a little groupie thing going on where everyone meets up and then heads off elsewhere once the set is finished for cheaper drinking and partying. Get along, everyone is super friendly and welcoming, unless you are an arsehole or trouble maker.

Have fun!!

JFitz dr

Dec 17, 2009
This would be fun for you guys ....Imagine… it is a really kool club that is in a cave ....sometimes they offer transportation to and from, admission, and open bar for like 40 per person.. great deal... another spot is called hurracan..more of a restaurant but really nice right on the beach... need to take cab to and from and good idea to have person wait for you.. have fun