Driving story - Punta Cana to SDQ

pdidio

Jan 4, 2011
Hello,

My family & I spent a week at an AI Resort in Punta Cana. We flew to Santo Domingo because it was cheaper and rented a car to get to Punta Cana and to see some of the island during our visit.

I am writing to share my experience driving back from Punta Cana to Las Americas airport. About 20km west of Higuey, all traffic was stopped at a roadblock established by three men in military fatigues and two men in black shirts labeled "G-2". A young man (early 20's) asked to see my car's papers and my license. He claimed the car was missing a triangle sticker on the windshield. I offered to call the rental office and he said that wasn't necessary.

He then switched tactics and said we were "friends" and shook my hand and asked for money. I reacted with confusion and enough broken Spanish to convey that I didn't understand what he was asking for. With exasperation, he finally waved us on. The whole encounter lasted five minutes.

My purpose in writing was to ask fellow forum readers their interpretation of what happened. Any idea who it was that stopped us? Was this routine? Was it dangerous? What is a typical payment to extricate from this situation? What is the recommended response?

As a final thought, we enjoyed our visit and admired the openness, approachability and pride of the Dominicans.

Thanks for your replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IMO: You did well....and you should bitch to the Rental Company for sending you out in a vehicle not properly documented for driving on Dominican roads..

HB

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Sounds like they were looking for someone, or something? He was trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Searching, and shaking down unsuspecting tourists. You handled it well. One question, did you REALLY not understand what he was saying? Or was that your tactic to avoid paying?

Hey, he took a shot. You won this round.

Glad you enjoyed your visit.......

pdidio

Jan 4, 2011
Re: Listening comprehension

did you REALLY not understand what he was saying? Or was that your tactic to avoid paying?

The combination of my nerves, the inquisitor's agitated state and his accent left me unsure about the exact details of his request.

But I WAS sure that we were not "friends" and the overriding goal was to leave the scene as quickly as possible.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Glad it worked out.....

My guess, if you had to "pay"..because of undue pressure, or intimidation .......I would think 2-5 hundred pesos, would have hurried things along.

IF......there is ever a next time....

But what you did was perfect, and that usually works.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
These guys are supposed to be looking for illegal guns and drugs. But they try to make a few pesos on the side when they see a gringo. They are not a threat, just a pain sometimes.

Reactions: Bronxboy
Feb 7, 2007
I am writing to share my experience driving back from Punta Cana to Las Americas airport. About 20km west of Higuey, all traffic was stopped at a roadblock established by three men in military fatigues and two men in black shirts labeled "G-2".

Was it by the railroad crossing? That's their usual spot. They have frequent roadblocks/checks there. Looking for guns, drugs, etc. Most often than not you are just waved when they see you're foreign. I always approach them with "comando, como estamos hoy... portan armas de fuego, armas blancas,... no... que pase buen dia" usually less than 30 second encounter.
They also do stops by Venerito, just getting to bayahibe crossing.

One interesting encounter which made me laugh... my vehicle has "PRENSA" (press) stickers because I work with media here ... and couple of months ago I was stopped exactly in that railroad-crossing checkpoint ....

it went like this:

I got wawed to stop ... I stopped in a few meters past them, as I was driving moderately fast. As I was slowing down they ahd a look on my car. I pushed the window down buttons, and I heard "ese es de prensa... (he's form press)" ... comes in the guy to passenger side window... my usual "comando, como estamos hoy, en que le podemos ayudar (commander, how are we today, how can we help you)" ...and the guy's response was: "era para saludarle...(just to greet you)" while stretching for a handshake. I was laughing afterwards, so they stopped me just to greet me... hehe

Last edited:

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You did exactly what I would have done. When I first moved down here I was intimidated by these folks but after a while I realized how timid they are. I now become immediately stern and agitated when they stop me. I pretend I don't understand a word they are saying and I make it clear they are annoying me. They quickly back down and wave me on. I've yet to have to pay any of these bozos a dime. Hope my luck continues.

DE_Adventurer

Feb 21, 2011
We returned from SDQ last night. But on the road between Cabrera and Nagua, we hit the moochers. They had two teams of three men each, stopping traffic each way. TTwo were in fatigues and had M16's, a 3rd man was dressed in civies. He did all the talking. They spoke no English, and we speak no real Spanish so communication was mostly by sign language. They wanted to know if we had firearms then asked for money. I told him (in English, so likely he did not understand me) I only had enough pesos for the toll road and couldn't spare any. I then went into my stupid "no hable espaniol" frenzy and he finally waved us through.