Looking to Move in 180 Days to SD

mboydii

Mar 1, 2011
First off I would like to say thanks for reading my post.
Imma newbie

Me and my wife are looking to move to SD more sooner than later. We have already found a house and are most likely going to rent it before we buy it, just to see if we like it.
I was wondering if it would be difficult to find employment there as either a basketball coach or in the telecommunications industry because I have too much experience in both fields?

Mike

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Imma newbie

Me and my wife are looking to move to SD more sooner than later. We have already found a house and are most likely going to rent it before we buy it, just to see if we like it.
I was wondering if it would be difficult to find employment there as either a basketball coach or in the telecommunications industry because I have too much experience in both fields?

Mike

I would use the time you have till you move to start socializing. Start letting friends/family that you are looking for work. Maybe make a post on your facebook (or what ever social site you use) about you looking for work.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If this is more to keep yourself busy, more as a hobby rather than the salary I doubt you'd have much trouble. If it is a fundamental for your existence in the capital then you might need to look at alternatives.
You can only try in either instance.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You need to come with enough money to support yourself while you look for work.

I am working with a company that will be hiring in about September. Send me a PM for instructions on where to send your resume.

You will need to get your residencia so that you increase your opportunities for employment. If nothing else there are lots of call centers and they are often looking for native English speakers.

Gordon Gekko

Nov 2, 2005
Imma newbie

Mike

Not sure I understand your statement of having "too much experience in both fields." Are you concerned about being underemployed or not getting a job at all because you are overqualified? In any case, it's likely that you'll be underemployed relative to the US. Thus, you should factor that into your decision about moving to the DR.

If you told us more about your background, it would be easier for us to provide more holistic advice. At any rate, I would suspect that if you have a decent background in the Telco industry that's more easily leverageable and transferable into a relatively well compensated position in the DR than basketball coaching. Sports management is not as well compensated here unless you become a baseball scout or something along those lines. Then again, market forces apply to this industry and barriers to entry are very high. It's a lot easier to arbitrage talent in the more technical fields.