residency

L

Les

I have posted a few unclear messages. I am interested in knowing if it is possible to ge a permanet residence visa based on a pension.

H

Henry

I am afraid, but your question seems to me still unclear? I think everybody can apply for a residence visa from all nations with proper funds to live from or proof of work contract (maybe not even this, it depends to your lawyer!)

Unless this does not solve your question pls provide a little more informations!

Thanks

Henry

L

Les

Henry

Thanks for the reply. I have a pension of aproximately $1000 US per month. I would like to know if this is sufficient to obtain a permanent residence visa in the DR. I see that you mention lawyers. ?Does that mean one has to go through a lawyer to get a visa? Once again thanks for the reply

G

Grahame Bush

Hi Les, - As Henry says, anyone who is financially sound, is morally acceptable etc. can det a permanebt residency. It is better if you go through a lawyer due to frustrations by trying to do it yourself. Drop me a line with full details on yourself, your circumstances etc. & I will give what helpful advice I can. How is your Spanish? Do you have any contacts down here already? What do you know of the country (how often have you been here -where & when)? Where are you thinking of living - North or South?

Best regards & Good luck - Grahame ^_^

E

ECH, M.D.

I presume you are retired and do not plan to work (pension). Therefore, why no opt for a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa?

A

Andy

Among the current requirements for a residency is that the applicant must have $500,000rd (about $30,000usd) either in a Dominican bank account or invested in the country such as a business, home, etc. It would seem that your retirement income alone is not enough to meet this requirement. A DR lawyer or financial advisor who is aware of residency requirements can best interpret this for you.
Also, despite government proclamations that the residency application process is easier, even as long-time residents speaking the language, we GAVE UP after the expense of staying almost a week in Santo Domingo and turned everything over to our corporate lawyer to finish the application process which starts with the Visa.
Even when we went to the Dominican Chancellery to apply for the Visa, I was denied entrance because I had on Bermuda shorts and sandals (there is nothing on the Visa application sheet regarding a dress code required for entry into their building).
Also, a little known and PUBLICISED fact is that after one year, the ENTIRE process must be repeated at the same cost. That will equal, for us, a lawyer's cost alone of $50,000rd (a bargain-2 for the price of 1), not counting the $100usd daily average for us to go to the capital,...add another $1,000usd or so.
My advice,...get the 10 year special Visa that ECH suggests further down in this thread,...and get it BEFORE you leave your home country; dealing with the current PRD government bureaucracy is worse than the last government, despite all the PLD's failings.

H

Henry

A ten year tourist visa sounds fine to me and is definitly better (and easier) to obtain than the residency!

The points to be checked are the following:

Do you want to do business over here? (impossible with tourist visa!!!!!)

Do you want to buy real estate? Do you need a bank account with credit card? (NO way for a credit card with tourist card!!!)

Medical security etc. etc. etc.

Don't worry, these points you may easily check up on your first stay here in the DR!

When I first got down to the DR - I got a business Visa for a year and with that, you may enter and leave the country as often as you want! If you intend to stay for more than three month it might be recomendable to get the local ID (Cedula) and drivers licence! (This does not obligate you for a residencia visa!)

See you later

Henry

E

Eddy

I think you need a residence to get a cedula, unless things have changed.