Internet in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2011
Does anyone use the Claro chip? Is that an effective way to get the internet in Cabarete?

I am hearing that internet is slow and unreliable, so I am thinking the Claro chip is the way to go.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jan 28, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am moving to Cabarete and want to make sure I will have reliable internet.

Is this a problem on the island?

Right now, I am at a hotel and the internet is Wifi, and it is so spotty. It goes on and off. Is this normal?

Is Codetel reliable source of internet? Can more than one computer be on at the same time?

How much does that service cost per month? How long does it take to get turned on? What are the requirements?

Feb 7, 2007
Beware, that ANY Claro Mobile Internet plan has limited data transfer amount before you are hit with speed reduction.

http://internetmovil.claro.com.do/

Claro claims that PREAPID 3G BIS does NOT have speed reduction, but I have not tried it.

My Orange Business rep expressed in writing (email) that Orange BIS service does NOT have speed reduction on BIS. They do have a transfer limit 500 MB per month on their postpaid BIS service.

On both Orange and Claro you can use your 3G BlackBerry as a modem (tethering) for 3G access. You must have 3G ferquency capable device for the respective carrier (850 MHz for Claro, 900 MHz for Orange). 3G BIS is available in both postpaid and prepaid form on both carriers.

BEWARE: On Orange, BIS is apparently the ONLY mobile Internet service that does not suffer speed reduction. Their other service, OrangeNet, does have speed reduction/data transfer restrictions. On Claro, Claro Internet Movil DOES suffer from speed reduction/data transfer restrictions, both prepaid and postpaid account. Claro BIS postpaid does as well. They claim PREPAID BIS does not.

(BIS - Blackberry Internet Service)

Jan 17, 2009
Hello everyone,

I am moving to Cabarete and want to make sure I will have reliable internet.

Is this a problem on the island?

Right now, I am at a hotel and the internet is Wifi, and it is so spotty. It goes on and off. Is this normal?

Is Codetel reliable source of internet? Can more than one computer be on at the same time?

How much does that service cost per month? How long does it take to get turned on? What are the requirements?

We use Codetel's DSL with many computers (we have a small 14-room hotel). I cannot stay that it is as fast as any connection I have used in the US, but it is NOT spotty. I think we have 1.8 downstream. I download and watch TV online with no issues through my wi-fi router. If you're planning to use Wi-Fi in a house, you may need a range expander or access point in addition to your router depending on how many concrete walls the signal has to go through. That's all.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Beware, that ANY Claro Mobile Internet plan has limited data transfer amount before you are hit with speed reduction.

Internet M?vil – Escoge la Red, Escoge Claro 3G!

Claro claims that PREAPID 3G BIS does NOT have speed reduction, but I have not tried it.

My Orange Business rep expressed in writing (email) that Orange BIS service does NOT have speed reduction on BIS. They do have a transfer limit 500 MB per month on their postpaid BIS service.

On both Orange and Claro you can use your 3G BlackBerry as a modem (tethering) for 3G access. You must have 3G ferquency capable device for the respective carrier (850 MHz for Claro, 900 MHz for Orange). 3G BIS is available in both postpaid and prepaid form on both carriers.

BEWARE: On Orange, BIS is apparently the ONLY mobile Internet service that does not suffer speed reduction. Their other service, OrangeNet, does have speed reduction/data transfer restrictions. On Claro, Claro Internet Movil DOES suffer from speed reduction/data transfer restrictions, both prepaid and postpaid account. Claro BIS postpaid does as well. They claim PREPAID BIS does not.

(BIS - Blackberry Internet Service)

Hey, I have prepaid BIS w/orange you know how to set it up?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The current best option in Cabarete is to go with Claro/Codetel DSL either wired or using a wireless router. Expect to pay about $60 to $90 US per month for a VIP Flash plan which has moderate speeds in the 1.2 to 1.8 Mbps range depending upon how far you are from the office to which you are connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.