Puerto Plata Harbor Lighthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

toniko

Oct 31, 2010
www.flickr.com
I've heard about a beautiful lighthouse in Puerto Plata. Since I'm planning a weekend trip there, I'm wondering if is it possible to get up the tower?

And are there any lighthouses in DR open for tourists? (real lighthouses, not Faro a Colon, haha)

thanks!

Reactions: waytogo

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Never heard of a lighthouse on this island as that would require a tremendous amount of energy.

If you travel up the mountain in POP you can overlook the harbor and if any ships are in danger you need to scream like....

Reactions: Tamborista

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Never heard of a lighthouse on this island as that would require a tremendous amount of energy.

If you travel up the mountain in POP you can overlook the harbor and if any ships are in danger you need to scream like....

What about the Columbus Light House in Santo Domingo? It has cost about US$40,000,000 some 10 years ago. I don't know what happens recently but some years ago we were able to see the cross in the sky as far away as from Juan Dolio and San Pedro.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The old lighthouse is by the fort on the Malacon in Puerto Plata. It is up on the small hill near the Water tanks. Cant miss it! I do not think it is open though!

Olly

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Ther's a steel frame lighthouse beside the fort on the malecon in POP. It was restored some years back but whether you can access it i don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.