GranCabannaCabarete

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Can anyone report on the construction status of the former Windsurf Report? I have tried to post this question in the Travel/North Coast blog, but don't know if it got through. Thanks.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Latest I have (from the developer) is construction should be starting up again in a week or two.

Bob K

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Today, they have a front end loader digging where the pool is supposed to be, so hopefully he was digging the pool and that is a good sight.....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes they have restarted (last week) and will be delivering the first units sometime this fall.

Bob K

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
My sense is that the second home market is shaking off some of its doldrums and that this project may emerge at a much better time. That may not help assuage the disappointment of early investors, but the fact is that the world fell apart at about the time this project was truly getting under way. It is in town--it is about as near to the very decent, viable beach as you can get. But time will tell. The ambiance of Cabarete must remain--or improve.

Grommet

Sep 21, 2010
Yes they have restarted (last week) and will be delivering the first units sometime this fall.

Bob K

Knowing some of the history of the developer, the history of this project & the current state of the project; I am 99% sure that this project will still not be completed in the fall of 2012, if it will ever be finished.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Pretty negative and and an unusual first post. In fact I belive it will be finished and they will deliver units before the end of this year.
Who are you in real life???

Bob K

Grommet

Sep 21, 2010
I am pretty negative , since I live nearby, and have been looking at the mess that is the building site for some time now, the fact that part of the building site was illegally made by filling the lagoon (which is a natural park) hasn't made me any more positive either.
I drove past a few times yesterday, and no constructions going on that makes me believe he is going to finish in the next year.
We'll see
Do you think that the walk bridge is coming?

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
The latest?

What's the latest on construction?

I don't know anything about the lagoons in Cabarete, but in general it appears that protecting the environment isn't exactly at the top of anyone's list in the DR. That's not to approve wholesale violation of Mother Earth, of course, but it appears to be commonplace there.

Yes, two wrongs don't make a right, but as I look elsewhere in DR1 where there are strong discussions of dolphin safety for example, I am reminded that one man's ceiling is another man's floor. Or something like that.

You can accept that tourism will remain a big part of the country's economic picture (even though the DR is far better off than many Caribbean nations re: agriculture and other industries)...or you can pick apart every aspect of mass market tourism. There's plenty to criticize, but until other industries REALLY kick in, tourism is a big engine.

The niche stuff, such as the efforts of the NYC intelligentsia at Playa Grande, isn't exactly steaming forward and bringing Dollars, Euros, etc. to the North Coast.

So maybe a little modification of the lagoon to benefit a mid-range property like the old Windsurf Resort isn't the worst offense.

Finally, the world's collective economic plunge off a cliff stalled even Ritz-Carlton, so perhaps this Gran Cabanna Cabarete developer isn't alone in disappointing early buyers or investors. Go visit the half-constructed mega resorts that Lehman Brothers deserted in the debacle.

Let's hope this property gets completed and thrives--and that's why I asked the question: What's the latest on construction?

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
Was passing by car several times today - the gates are closed and nobody inside and insight. May be it is because of the rain - nobody wants to work wet but this was the picture few weeks ago when there was no rain.
What really interest me - who would be willing to stay there even for one or two weeks with all those mosquitos from the lagoon?

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
Thanks

I have seen hotels use electric light solutions to control mosquitoes so maybe that will be part of the plan. That or install DEET faucets next to the water faucets.

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
Still curious--any construction on this site?

It has been some time since a positive prediction was made.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
StillAbe...... construction is going on both sides of GranCabanna, the old Windsurf side, and the new project, as well as on the beach side......I think they are concentrating on Windsurf and new project more than on the beach side....hope he finishes soon as Cabarete needs a new hotel ......

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
Thanks, Mr or Ms Hammerdown. This has always seemed to me to be a winning concept--I acknowledge that the lagoon is a touchy subject if there has been some fiddling with it. And there may be major mosquitos unless some amelioration is put in place.

But it's in town and has always needed a beach access, which now appears to exist.

We'll be watching.

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
So, what's the latest? Are things moving along on both ocean front and the lagoon side? Thanks.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I have lived on the north coast for nearly a dozen years so I go past the development quite a bit while I am passing through Cabarete. Although there was some real work going on a while ago I haven't seen anything significant of late. Of course I am pretty used to the "highway of broken dreams" between Nagua and Puerto Plata so this may be just another.

I think we fully recognize that the pop in the real estate bubble likely dried up what funding was available to the developer. I sincerely hope no one is waiting for that bubble to re-materialize, however. It took from 1950 until 2010 for the current bubble to build so it will likely be several more decades before any significant appreciation of real estate will be seen anywhere on Planet Earth. <just an opinion>

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have lived on the north coast for nearly a dozen years so I go past the development quite a bit while I am passing through Cabarete. Although there was some real work going on a while ago I haven't seen anything significant of late. Of course I am pretty used to the "highway of broken dreams" between Nagua and Puerto Plata so this may be just another.

I think we fully recognize that the pop in the real estate bubble likely dried up what funding was available to the developer. I sincerely hope no one is waiting for that bubble to re-materialize, however. It took from 1950 until 2010 for the current bubble to build so it will likely be several more decades before any significant appreciation of real estate will be seen anywhere on Planet Earth. <just an opinion>

I am sorry to say you are correct sir. We are experiencing much more than a "lost decade". This has turned into a "lost generation". Of course there will always be some people that can capitalize on any situation.