decided to get married, now what

Status
Not open for further replies.

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
I have been posting on this site for about a month feverishly planning a vacation to the DR. I got everything planned and was sooo looking forward to a stress free vacation. Today my wonderful boyfriend asked me to marry him. My great idea "let's do it on vacation". Well now after reseaching online for hours my head hurts. I looks like I will need a wedding planner just to get my resort to help me. Here is the deal I don't want a big wedding. I litterally want me, my boyfreind, the justice of the peace, and a photographer. Do I really have to get a wedding planner to pull this off???? Ifso can anyone tell me of someone who is reasonable?? the one my hotel reccomended is $1800 US flat rate. I'm sorry but I am not paying someone 1800 US to organize 4 PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:gre: So any ideas or help would be great. I don't want to have to cancel my DR vacation bc I can't do my tiny wedding there. Also it looks as though the paperwork for a foreigner to get marries is a nightmare... the headache continues.

Dec 21, 2008
I don't want to have to cancel my DR vacation bc I can't do my tiny wedding there.

Why would you do that after all your research?? Why not get married "at home" and come to the DR for your honeymoon...sure would save you a wad of $$.

Just my opinion...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't want to have to cancel my DR vacation bc I can't do my tiny wedding there.

Why would you do that after all your research?? Why not get married "at home" and come to the DR for your honeymoon...sure would save you a wad of $$.

Just my opinion...

Excellent suggestion.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This is an April Fools right?

How can you be stressed about organizing four people, two of them yourself and your boyfriend?

Hire a notary and a bring a camera. Have the chef take the pictures.

Or get in a taxi and go find a church, and have the pastors wife take the pics....

When is it? Can I come hit the buffet? :bunny:

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
Well I might get married at the court house at home and then have a "ceremony" in the DR. I would save a lot of paperwork for what I can tell. The reason I want to have the ceremony there is bc I have always wanted a wedding with just me and my guy on the beach, and since I am going to the beach it sounds right to me! i will be at the Velro Beach Resort in Mid July. All I want is a good photographer, someone to perform the ceremony, and a bouquet. If anyone knows someone who could perform the ceremony I will of course pay them once we agree on an ammount and then some refferals for a great photographer.

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
Not april fools. sorry. No I am not stressed about my part in this, I am stressed that no one wants to deal with a person anymore, they want to speak to your coordinator. I can't afford one, and agree with you.... what the heck would you need one for if there will only be four people!!!!

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
Not april fools. sorry. No I am not stressed about my part in this, I am stressed that no one wants to deal with a person anymore, they want to speak to your coordinator. I can't afford one, and agree with you.... what the heck would you need one for if there will only be four people!!!!

I guess I just got irritated that the first resort that I called seemed to thing that I had to have a coordinator. I am now going with Velero and think finding a coordinator won't be a problem, I just need suugestions for the other things (photos, justice of the peace)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Justice of the Peace would normally be from Sosua since you are getting married in Cabarete. I don't recall the price, but it went up a lot recently for his services.

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Why don't u just use this trip as an engagement holiday and then use next year as the wedding date so u're not so rushed.

P.S i got married in city hall and no-one knew, i then paid for a ceremony and signed blank pages in the RD. I think total cost was 1000$ for 14 people and it was awesome.
Flowers,cake decos, and guitars included.

Some hotels the guest services manager will do this for u.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are correct that the paperwork is annoying.

Applying for a Marriage License in the Dominican Republic

and

Legal requirements for getting married in The Dominican Republic

Couples must register to be married with the Oficialia del Estado Civil (City Clerk). The following documents are required:

* Both parties must have a valid passport.
* The original birth certificate of each person is required.
* Single Status Affidavits which need to be translated by an official translator into Spanish at the Dominican Consulate.
* A divorce certificate (s) if either party is divorced. This also must be translated by an official translator into Spanish at the Consulate.
* Statuatory of Declaration form must be notarized by a lawyer/solicitor (a sample can be provided by the hotel if requested). Both parties must each have one notarized form.

A fee of approximately $455 (USD) is required for registration. If a wedding is being planned through a hotel or resort, the fees may vary. The hotel or resort wedding coordinator can also assist with having paperwork submitted to the government.

NOTE: I am not sure if that fee of $455 reflects the recent price increase.

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
Ok, I will check on the JP inSousa. Thanks. I will also check to see if the hotel can help with some of this. thanks!

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
"Well I might get married at the court house at home and then have a "ceremony" in the DR"

That's your best idea by far. You want stress free, that's the way to go.

Then you wouldn't even need a justice of the peace or anything like that ... since it's just a "symbolic ceremony", anyone at all could read the service ... write it up yourself or find one on the internet, and just get anyone to read it ... it could be someone you meet on the trip, a friend, whoever you want (paying $600+ for the resort to do it, it's often just the wedding co-ordinator reading off a piece of paper anyway)

Maybe go to a nice restaurant on the beach for the ceremony/dinner ... I'm sure you could get a photographer to show up and take all the pics, then just pay for what you want afterwards.

The one advantage of just buying the cheapest plan on the resort, is they take care of the flowers, cake, champagne, photographers, etc and you don't really have to worry about anything. Well worth it, depending on the resort and what they charge.

kingofbanff

Jan 4, 2007
Since you are staying at Velero, email Diane the General Manager for help. She was assistant manager when I was there and helped out on my wedding. We had no planner even though we had 40 people. They did an awesome job.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You are correct that the paperwork is annoying.

Applying for a Marriage License in the Dominican Republic

and

Legal requirements for getting married in The Dominican Republic

Couples must register to be married with the Oficialia del Estado Civil (City Clerk). The following documents are required:

* Both parties must have a valid passport.
* The original birth certificate of each person is required.
* Single Status Affidavits which need to be translated by an official translator into Spanish at the Dominican Consulate.
* A divorce certificate (s) if either party is divorced. This also must be translated by an official translator into Spanish at the Consulate.
* Statuatory of Declaration form must be notarized by a lawyer/solicitor (a sample can be provided by the hotel if requested). Both parties must each have one notarized form.

A fee of approximately $455 (USD) is required for registration. If a wedding is being planned through a hotel or resort, the fees may vary. The hotel or resort wedding coordinator can also assist with having paperwork submitted to the government.

NOTE: I am not sure if that fee of $455 reflects the recent price increase.

It has become very expensive getting married in the DR. The Gov. is pricing the country off the market as far as marriages are concerned. Good advice to get married at home and set up a mock ceremony here. A lot cheaper and you won't have to go through the second headache of registering it back home. Have a happy life together.

Status
Not open for further replies.