No more lugging books

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Agreed. I bought one before we came down in January and loaded it with tons of books - bought some and downloaded a bunch of classics for free. Worked like a dream! I doubt I'll ever buy another 'real' book.

AE

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
would you buy books for it or are there enough free ones ? just asking for someone who wrote a book about the dr recently and is having problems getting it published.....you know who you are !

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i could never warm to this idea. i like paper. i like books they way they are. i like to underline my favourite passage and scribble notes on margins. i have hundreds books on my laptop but they just do not rock my boat. once i have all my books here i will feel better. i will finally have friends in DR.

Jan 17, 2009
ah, but you can still underline you favorite passages and write notes on a Kindle! Best birthday present I ever got! No more carrying books and paying extra charges to the airlines, and books available just want I want to read them, like now. Off to Amazon to get some books.

MovingToDR2011

Mar 29, 2010
I love the idea of these e-book readers but I don't think I would ever buy one. I like to read in the swimming pool, on the beach, etc too many places where someone as clumsy as myself would ruin something electronic lol.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i could never warm to this idea. i like paper. i like books they way they are. i like to underline my favourite passage and scribble notes on margins. i have hundreds books on my laptop but they just do not rock my boat. once i have all my books here i will feel better. i will finally have friends in DR.
I used to think that. But I configured my K3 with a leather cover with a light, learned how it works, and now it's just like a book...without paper. The page LOOKS like paper and the whole thing is the size, shape and feel of a book. The cover makes a LOT of difference.

However, I never got a "battery low" message on a book...:cheeky:

It's hard to get Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, The Prince and War and Peace (to name just a few) in one place...that's 3/4" thick...

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Maybe a dumb question, but I sometime lay a book down unfinished. Can I pick it up later, go back a couple of pages, and keep going.Thanks

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Kindle

It switches off automatically when you put it down for a while.When you wake it up, it starts at the page you were reading.You can then go back or forward using the page turning buttons.
Mine doesn't have page numbering but a percentage read indicator showing how far you're along in the book.
It's a nice gadget, even for non-gadget folk like me!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I read a lot and kindle was #1 on my list when looking for an e-reader. But then I wanted video for when I travel for work/pleasure and kindle doesn't provide that so I went with an iPad...just as good for reading and has a lot of other stuff kindle doesn't.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I read a lot and kindle was #1 on my list when looking for an e-reader. But then I wanted video for when I travel for work/pleasure and kindle doesn't provide that so I went with an iPad...just as good for reading and has a lot of other stuff kindle doesn't.
True, but I paid only $130 for the Kindle. iPad? $500-800.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
That's exactly how I hooked it up..just open and read (it holds your place) and close. No more going to malls looking for a bookstore ,that probably closed or went out of business anyway..over 600,000 books avaiable with the click of a button...:)

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
I got the Sony e-reader with airmile rewards. I needed to use up some points, so I didn't have to lay out cash for it. I just love it. It didn't come with any books loaded, but there are websites where you can get free books. The classics are the easiest to find for free. There are also free software programs on the internet that will format books for your brand of reader.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
ps..Kindle will read the book to you with a male or female voice..WIFI AND 3G is the way to go for a international traveler..$189.00